Too Fat to Bivi!

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

breff
Location: Lancaster.... "Not the Yorkshire, Not the Yorkshire!"

Too Fat to Bivi!

Post by breff »

Couldn't get my "Personal Diameter" into a Hunka XL so have to look for alternatives.
It's not urgent, I'm on the "High Risk, do not pass Go..... Etc" list but, for future plans.
What tent, without spending shedloads, should I look for? Waterproof and Sturdy are important, PACK SIZE is pretty crucial. I'd prefer "Pitch in One"but not a huge stopper. Free standing would be a Huge Bonus but would involve more poles and, probably, a larger pack size. Weight of the tent isn't an issue, I have an Akto already and that's not too heavy. I'd like a tough enough ground sheet not to need a Footprint, but would like one with a footprint available. I'm okay with a decent size one man, or small two man,tent.
Discuss and Suggest :-bd

Ta.
At the pace of sailing ships and bicycles.
bluebus200

Re: Too Fat to Bivi!

Post by bluebus200 »

I've been using a Vango banshee for years...yes it's not the coolest but for circa £100 it's amazing value. Light enough for my needs and small enough too. Just enough room for me and some gear. Super easy pitch. I have had it out in some appalling weather and it's been bombproof.
techno

Post by techno »

bluebus200 wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 6:36 pm I've been using a Vango banshee for years...yes it's not the coolest but for circa £100 it's amazing value. Light enough for my needs and small enough too. Just enough room for me and some gear. Super easy pitch. I have had it out in some appalling weather and it's been bombproof.
I have one of these too, £40 second hand. It's been great too.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Can I get in first with Lunar Solo?
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

breff wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 6:20 pm Couldn't get my "Personal Diameter" into a Hunka XL so have to look for alternatives.
Sorry to ask, but have you got your air mattress in the Hunka with you as well?

It is tight for most of us with the mattress inside a Hunka.

With either of my mattress's inside and I lay on my side the quilt I'm using always crushes to a useless thickness making me have a cold spot especially if I'm way down inside the bivi bag.

If not try it with your air mattress under (the outside of) your Hunka XL and try it with just yourself and your sleeping bag inside the Hunka XL, that should work I'd like to think.
Also try moving up as high as you can in the bivi bag to your head is as high up in the bag as possible too, that gives you more room around the middle too.
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

I'm using the sixmoon copy at the moment and coming in at 740g I think and 75 english pounds ish, only used once in good weather up to now this year but the previous tent was similar just a different design and worked well in all kinds of crap rainy windy weather. For the money they aint bad tbh lightweight too.

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?ca ... =lanshan+1
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
benp1

Post by benp1 »

If you've got an Akto then do you really want a another tent when you have a good one already?

If you're not worried about weight, have a look at the military bivi bags, they're absolutely huge! Heavy, but very robust. I used to use one in my bushcrafting days

Also, if you're tight on space, definitely mat outside
breff
Location: Lancaster.... "Not the Yorkshire, Not the Yorkshire!"

Post by breff »

Thanks for the responses. Even with the mat outside I'm just too fat for the Hunka XL. The Akto is great but I'm going "Stir Crazy" so newtoy gunting is going round my head.

Keep 'em coming.
At the pace of sailing ships and bicycles.
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Tarp :-).
May you always have tail wind.
ton

Post by ton »

breff, not many people are as big as me, 6ft 4'' and 21 stone. i am huge, and also cant fit in a bivi bag. or most sleeping bags.

i use a alpkit ordos2 tent. it is perfect for a big person. plenty long enough and also wide enough, and it packs small and weighs not much.
also i can use a lighter kip bag, which i use as a quilt, because a tent is a lot warmer than a bivi/tarp.
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

Totally OT, but every time I see the title of this post, it reminds me of a certain Dead Kennedys song :lol:
May satan walk with you
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

If I were going to buy a new solo tent I'd go for the big Agnes copper spur ul1 bikepacking specific tent.

I've got the the standard ul3 for family adventures and have been really impressed with it but the poles are quite long when packed meaning the only place they fit is on my pack. The packed poles on the bikepack ul1 are 30cm which gives much better options for packing on the bike.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Someone asked me to make some poles for a Lanshan 2, so I took a look and if you need something light, roomy and packable, then it looks a decent bet. Even once the price of poles is factored in, the cost is reasonable too. I believe you can also buy a 'winter' inner and a pre-made footprint if you like. Two doors / porches is also handy.

May the bridges you burn light your way
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

The Lanshan 1 looks like a Lunar Solo clone, that's tempting.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It is pretty much, just heavier. I think it might also have a separate inner too?
May the bridges you burn light your way
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 12:23 pm
It is pretty much, just heavier. I think it might also have a separate inner too?
Yeah, I suppose that makes it more like the Deschutes + Serenity inner?
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

PaulB2 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 2:28 pm
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 12:23 pm
Yeah, I suppose that makes it more like the Deschutes + Serenity inner?
Correct, though iirc the inner of the Lanshan is made to fit the footprint of the outer whereas the serenity net is rectangular so you "loose" some inner space. Don't know how the weights compare.

I think Stu or others have used Sea2Summit nano nets instead of the serenity. Simpler / less enclosed (no groundsheet) but lighter and pretty effective.

Interesting to see there's an inner on Aliexpress similar to the serenity (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3285014 ... 7567%23922) but it's listed as £550 and about £50 delivered. I think the nano-net is c.£30 and c.250g.
bluebus200

Post by bluebus200 »

techno wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 6:40 pm
bluebus200 wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 6:36 pm I've been using a Vango banshee for years...yes it's not the coolest but for circa £100 it's amazing value. Light enough for my needs and small enough too. Just enough room for me and some gear. Super easy pitch. I have had it out in some appalling weather and it's been bombproof.
I have one of these too, £40 second hand. It's been great too.
They work particularly well without the inner... Fairly light but still able to take a beating.
techno

Post by techno »

bluebus200 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 5:27 pm They work particularly well without the inner... Fairly light but still able to take a beating.
I've never used it without the inner, an option to try out one day for sure
bluebus200

Post by bluebus200 »

If I remember rightly...I weighed the kit without the inner and it was around 1400 g... So you save about 700g. Not bad for a shelter that can fit two (or 1 plus gear) with a hydrostatic head of 5000.. For under £100 that is.
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

PaulB2 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 12:05 pm The Lanshan 1 looks like a Lunar Solo clone, that's tempting.
Thats what i've got at the moment, good price & not a bad build quality either. the 2 man also looks a good one too to be fair
maybe a purchase on on eof them too so the lad can come out with me in the future.
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
Scud

Post by Scud »

I am very rugby prop forward shaped with a 48" chest and most bivvy bags i don't fit in, or if i do, if i roll over in the night everything goes with me, if it's an actual bag you want, i use a Rab Superlight, it has an attachment point on top, so can be tied up holding the mouth of the bag open, and it is huge and being Event fabric it breathers well.

I can get me, air mat, and some of my kit in there with me and happily turn over in the night and it being kept of your face means it is fine to have zip done right up without feeling claustrophobic.