Fork for Marin frame.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Alh14

Fork for Marin frame.

Post by Alh14 »

Long time lurker here ! Haven’t posted much as was going to start sleeping in hedges last year but life events got in the way, then this year....

Somebody mentioned on here about this frame https://marinbikes-shop.co.uk/collectio ... lite-frame

Sounds ideal for a Fargo lite style bike and I have enough stuff in the garage to build it up. The only issue I’m having is finding a suitable fork for it, it’s a 1 1/8 straight steerer and I have asked Marin if they supply their forks after market but they don’t.

Have searched for a suitable fork online but found pretty much nothing suitable as wanting a thru axle, unless I can be persuaded otherwise.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Fork for Marin frame.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I think it's perhaps the combination of straight steerer and thru axle that'll make things difficult ... I'd forget the thru axle. Given what you'll likely be riding on it, I wonder if you'll notice any difference.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Alh14

Post by Alh14 »

Thanks, so cable disc brakes and a QR not an issue on bumpy stuff ?

So how do I select a fork, unfortunately Marin only lists a fork rake of 49mm and a head tube length of 198mm. No A-C.
RobLyon

Post by RobLyon »

They had these for sale at peatys bike bonanza last november (?). The lack of axle/mech hanger and forks put me off. If Marin can't supply the bits i dont know who else can?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

so cable disc brakes and a QR not an issue on bumpy stuff ?
Really shouldn't be cause for concern.

I'd trobably start by having a look at some of the offerings from Salsa and Surly. I'm sure you must be able to find out what the AC of the Marin fork is and with that and the offset (yes, people it's offset not bloody rake, rake is something else) find something close enough.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Alh14

Post by Alh14 »

I think you can get an axle, although it ain’t cheap as it’s a NAILD one, I didn’t ask about the hanger but as it’s still a current model in the states, there must be one.
RobLyon

Post by RobLyon »

yea just looked at marins site. It says hanger 38/39 for the four corners up to 2019 so its likely that one and is £24. The old elite frames used to be columbus thron tubesets i think but i'm not sure these are?
Alh14

Post by Alh14 »

Series 3 Double Butted and Formed CrMo, is what they say on the site.