Surly karate monkey fork for genesis latitude???

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

bluebus200

Surly karate monkey fork for genesis latitude???

Post by bluebus200 »

Hi all. New here and straight in with a techy question....

I am revamping an old genesis latitude frame that I have. I want to make it rigid I.e get rid of the terrible suntour forks that came standard. After much hunting around for a suspension corrected rigid fork I've come up with the surly karate monkey. But even that will take some adapting, crownrace adapter, boost axle adapter, smaller brake rotor etc...

What do you think? Am I barking up the wrong tree. If you were going rigid on a frame like this what would you use?
Lazarus

Re: Surly karate monkey fork for genesis latitude???

Post by Lazarus »

if you measure the axle to crown length* -dont forget to include some for 10-20% sag [ the suspension fork will drop when you get on the bike so its effectively shorter than when unweighted] then you just need a fork of that length when rigid - 5-10 mm either side is not that crtical IMHO
I would then also get a 100mm width fork as they are out there - unless you really want BOOST -not sure why as you dont have a BOOST hub [ though it may be "future proofing"
The next choice is just whether you want carbon -light flexy, deerer or steel, flexy not as light but cheaper
as to where to look I dont ride rigid so cannot help further

* How to measure guide
https://www.pinkbike.com/video/14004/
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'd probably just buy some carbon forks for it.
May the bridges you burn light your way
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Is your Latitude 650B? They might all be, mine is but it's quite old so don't know if they changed them.

What spacing is your current front wheel? I assume it's 100x15. And I assume your current fork is tapered steerer?

Do you want to have cage mounts on the fork?

I ran my Latitude with a Travers Prong, but they have gone boost now. You might be able to get a second-hand one. I didn't have cage mounts but that was more that my fork was bought in an end of line sale with a cosmetic defect so price was the main driver there :grin: The Prong is technically a 29er fork but I didn't notice any detriment to the handling compared to the 120mm sus for I took off.

Carbon will probably we more comfy than steel/aluminum but there is a price premium. Depending on your timescale then waiting for a second hand fork to come up would be the most cost effective.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
bluebus200

Post by bluebus200 »

Thanks...All

I think your bike is exactly the same as mine...650b with 100mm thru axle.
I take it your original fork was tapered? That's another issue I have run into, it seems most steel replacements are 1-1/8 straight...

I don't really want boost... Is just that finding the right fork to fit is like finding hen's teeth and the one I have found only comes in 110mm thru axel...

If anyone knows of a good source for steel forks I would be eternally grateful 😂
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

bluebus200 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:01 pm I take it your original fork was tapered? That's another issue I have run into, it seems most steel replacements are 1-1/8 straight...
You could run an 1-1/8" steerer with a larger (tapered size) headset using an crown race reducer, e.g. the Hope HS136.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

bluebus200 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:01 pm I think your bike is exactly the same as mine...650b with 100mm thru axle.
I take it your original fork was tapered? That's another issue I have run into, it seems most steel replacements are 1-1/8 straight...
I bought mine as a frame only. The headtube is 44mm so I run an external bottom headset cup to use the tapered fork. You can either use an adapter to put a straight steerer in or change the bottom cup/bearing assembly. An adapter is cheaper and less work to do.

Both my sus fork and the rigid are 100x15. You can use either a 100x15 or a qr fork if you use an adapter in your wheel. I ran my 650b wheels off the Genesis in my #gravelw@nker for a bit and used an adapter to fit the front to the qr fork with no issues.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

https://www.bikemonger.co.uk/forks-212-c.asp
Forks by the plenty - not many appear to be 15 x100 though
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

This is the sort of adapter to use to convert a 100x15 to a qr

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/nuk ... OlEALw_wcB

That will enable you to use a qr fork which will give more options. You'll also need a skewer if you don't have one in the spares box.
bluebus200

Post by bluebus200 »

Thanks Sean, really helpful!

Ah so the head tube is straight! I am waiting on a set of verniers and couldn't work out if my eyes were deceiving me as to whether the tube was straight or tapered... That makes things easier!

Three link to bikemonger is super handy but sadly most of them are sold out. Looks like I will just have to be patient 😂...

Out of interest how did you liked the latitude as a rigid set up? I'm beginning to wonder if I should actually be just plump for some better suspension forks...
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I have some REBAs for 650 B + that will be cheaper than rigid
They are BOOST though
also have some rigid ones with mounts but they are aluminium
can sell both if needed an both are tapered

Depends some like rigid -deffo lighter some dont [ me ]
if it was my only bike i would want Suspension
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

bluebus200 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:32 pm Out of interest how did you liked the latitude as a rigid set up? I'm beginning to wonder if I should actually be just plump for some better suspension forks...
I tended to run it rigid in the winter to save the sus forks from the worst of the weather and filth and then put the sus forks back on for summer. It's more comfortable with the sus forks on.

If you were thinking of changing the fork because your current sus forks aren't very good then some better suspension forks would be the way to go in my opinion.
bluebus200

Post by bluebus200 »

Lazarus wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:56 pm I have some REBAs for 650 B + that will be cheaper than rigid
They are BOOST though
also have some rigid ones with mounts but they are aluminium
can sell both if needed an both are tapered

Depends some like rigid -deffo lighter some dont [ me ]
if it was my only bike i would want Suspension
I would be interested in the rebas...have sent you a message.
bluebus200

Post by bluebus200 »

sean_iow wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:08 pm
bluebus200 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:32 pm Out of interest how did you liked the latitude as a rigid set up? I'm beginning to wonder if I should actually be just plump for some better suspension forks...
I tended to run it rigid in the winter to save the sus forks from the worst of the weather and filth and then put the sus forks back on for summer. It's more comfortable with the sus forks on.

If you were thinking of changing the fork because your current sus forks aren't very good then some better suspension forks would be the way to go in my opinion.
Yes I think I may well go with upgrading the Sus forks...I already have a genesis croix de fer and suspect if I make the latitude rigid I am just making a version of the same thing...all be it in a different geometry..
jameso

Post by jameso »

That's another issue I have run into, it seems most steel replacements are 1-1/8 straight...
As Sean mentioned, a 44mm ID head tube will adapt to both. If you're swapping the fork to a straight steel steerer (you should, a steel fork with a taper steerer is a monstrosity :grin: ) then just fit a semi-integrated aka zero stack cup lower for 1 1/8" - SHIS ID for a Hope lower cup of this size would be ZS44/30

https://www.google.com/search?q=ZS44%2F ... e&ie=UTF-8
Jurassic pusher

Post by Jurassic pusher »

As far as I can see, the OP has a 1 1/8" straight head tube on his bike, So surely only 1 1/8" straight forks will fit? Or have I missed something, that maybe an adapter for allow tapered 1 1/5" for to fit to that frame?
If only 1 1/8" steerer forks will fit then the choice of anything other than steel is fairly reduced these days.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Plenty of options at Carbon Cycles: https://www.carboncycles.cc/?s=0&t=0&rb=01&
May the bridges you burn light your way
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

its 44 mm headtube so can do all sizes with the appropriate cups-
Its always been a 44mm head tube for the 650b old 26 ers were 1 1/8
ootini

Post by ootini »

I did this very thing, but differently.

I ripped the Suntour fork off my KTM mtb and replaced it with a Surly Ogre Fork with a matching A-C measurement etc.
Worked a treat.

I say I did it, I paid someone who knows how a spanner works to do it.
bluebus200

Post by bluebus200 »

I sort of know how a spanner works which is mostly why the bike parts people love me......I generally buy the wrong thing then have to buy adapters to get it to work 😂
Jurassic pusher

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:52 pm Plenty of options at Carbon Cycles: https://www.carboncycles.cc/?s=0&t=0&rb=01&
I stand corrected, until now I hadn`t had much luck looking for 1 1/8 straight steerer 29er carbon forks, the best I could find were £50 ebay jobs, not sure I would trust them ( ought to try them really I suppose, never judge a book and all that)
jameso

Post by jameso »

Jurassic pusher wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:40 pm I stand corrected, until now I hadn`t had much luck looking for 1 1/8 straight steerer 29er carbon forks, the best I could find were £50 ebay jobs, not sure I would trust them ( ought to try them really I suppose, never judge a book and all that)
A bad book won't hurt you though, just wastes some time :grin: personally I would steer clear and steer safe. Others will say they bought simlar and are still alive, maybe I just see a bit more of what goes wrong and got wary but the weight saving isn't worth it imho, the ride feel is often no better than a steel fork and it's a critical part of the bike. I'd much rather spend £250 on a custom steel fork than ~£50 on ebay carbon.
Jurassic pusher

That make so much sense, if it goes wrong it would not be pretty!