Tyre recommendation for Trek 920

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

AndyRoo99

Tyre recommendation for Trek 920

Post by AndyRoo99 »

Hi folks

I currently ride a Trek 920 bike https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/bike ... 0/p/21996/

As standard, the bike came with the below wheels/tyres.

• Front wheel: Bontrager Duster Elite, Tubeless Ready, 100x15 mm thru axle

• Rear wheel: Bontrager Duster Elite, Tubeless Ready, 6-bolt disc, Shimano 10 freehub, 142x12 thru axle

• Tyres: Bontrager XR1, 29x2.00''

But I’d like to upgrade to better tyres and wondered if anyone out there had any good recommendations for a bombproof more top end robust tyre that would be compatible with the standard wheels/rims on the Trek 920.

Does anyone know/think if the Schwalbe Marathon E-Plus Peformance Tyre (29” x 2”) would be a good compatible tyre.
https://www.schwalbe.com/en/tour-reader/marathon-e-plus

Many thanks.

Andy
benp1

Re: Tyre recommendation for Trek 920

Post by benp1 »

The XR series are well regarded, you could upgrade to a burlier version but it would help if you say where you're riding and what you're using them for
AndyRoo99

Post by AndyRoo99 »

Cheers.

I cycle a mix of quiet road/trail - loaded with either panniers - or standard bikepacking bags. Last year I took the bike for a coupe of weeks alongside the Danube through Germany and Austria. We also cycle forest and gravel trails/old drove roads/quiet country roads and a bit of off-road throughout Scotland.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Compass tyres are very well regarded and certainly high end. Velo Vitality used to stock them but it appears no more sadly.

I like WTB Riddlers and also the Maxxix Refuse but they have less tread than many people feel happy with off-road.
May the bridges you burn light your way
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:39 pm Compass tyres are very well regarded and certainly high end. Velo Vitality used to stock them but it appears no more sadly.
Sven Cycles is now the UK distributor: https://www.svencycles.com/blog/compass-tyres/
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

What terrain?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

What terrain?
cycle a mix of quiet road/trail - loaded with either panniers - or standard bikepacking bags. Last year I took the bike for a coupe of weeks alongside the Danube through Germany and Austria. We also cycle forest and gravel trails/old drove roads/quiet country roads and a bit of off-road throughout Scotland.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:45 pm
What terrain?
cycle a mix of quiet road/trail - loaded with either panniers - or standard bikepacking bags. Last year I took the bike for a coupe of weeks alongside the Danube through Germany and Austria. We also cycle forest and gravel trails/old drove roads/quiet country roads and a bit of off-road throughout Scotland.
Ah yes
Read the first post, skimmed over the others

If you don’t mind a slick I have found the conti hardshell folding tyres to be pretty much bombproof.
I used 32mm when cycling Jogle and outer Hebrides.
Mostly road, a bit of track.
Jogle was mostly road with some disused railway hardcore track, and bikepacking bags
Outer Hebrides was 99% road with panniers; a few tracks, but not too many

Bike was a Specialized sequoia, so likely fairly similar

Inner tubes, zero punctures
Which is impressive, as I attract punctures almost as well as I do ticks
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I’ve been impressed by the Vittoria terreno’s I’ve recently fitted to my Fargo.

The little hexagons are actually ramped so if you run against them there’s multiple edges contributing to grip, fast on the road compared to the mezcals they replaced. Obviously with the lock down and recent dry conditions :roll: I’ve not had much chance to try any real mud but so far they are looking good. The worst they have seen so far is plasticine consistency mud and a wet steep climb up a rocky muddy 8% track. The only negative so far is the transition to the outer lugs, if you’re prone to leaning it over far on the road it could catch you out and I expect once it gets sloppy they are going to be ‘exciting’

Another option is the WTB nano in 2.1” reasonably fast on the road and enough grip off, if you managed it carefully.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Laurensdad

Post by Laurensdad »

Run WTB ventures 50mm in my 920, New Forest gravel, lanes, test valley chalky droves too.
:-bd
@philg1971 Instagram
AndyRoo99

Post by AndyRoo99 »

Just a quick note to say thanks for all the replies to my post - much appreciated.

I've only just discovered this forum - very impressed with the available info and help offered.

Many thanks again.

Happy cycling!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've only just discovered this forum - very impressed with the available info and help offered.
Don't let 'em fool you :wink:
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:44 pm
Don't let 'em fool you :wink:
Indeed, I believe we’re what certain professionals refer to as ‘enablers’ :lol:
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark