9 speed mtb mech, which road sti's ?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ton

9 speed mtb mech, which road sti's ?

Post by ton »

xt 9 speed rear mech. which road sti's will work.

anyone?
redefined_cycles

Re: 9 speed mtb mech, which road sti's ?

Post by redefined_cycles »

10 speed shimano... 10 speed shimano works on 9 speed rear mechs. Not sure about other speeds/ratios though. I successfully ran a long cage 9 speed rear xt mech with 10 speed shufters for a good year or 2...
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I was running 10 speed ultegra STIs with a 10 speed cassette and a 9 speed mech on my Amazon for over 10 years Tony.

If you're interested, I have the whole lot up for sale.
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Any 10 speed raod STI except the new Tiagra 10 speed which has the same pull ratio as Shimano 11 speed but just does 10 shifts.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

The older version of Shimano Sora Tony. They're the ones that have the gear cables coming out on the inside rather than along the tube. Like these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-St-3 ... SwHOFeqFu1

I was advised to get some of these by Rich at Keep Pedalling for use with Shimano mtb drivetrains. Having bought some I can confirm that they work very well.
redefined_cycles

redefined_cycles wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:15 pm 10 speed shimano... 10 speed shimano works on 9 speed rear mechs. Not sure about other speeds/ratios though. I successfully ran a long cage 9 speed rear xt mech with 10 speed shufters for a good year or 2...
Just reread this. Wasn't very helpful was it and a bit vague :lol: basically what Colin (Scotroutes) said. In fact I think it was Colin who I'd heard from that it could be done in first instance. Minw was a 9 speed mtb rear mech with 10 speed ultegra shifters and they lived happily for many many moons
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

ton wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:13 pm xt 9 speed rear mech. which road sti's will work.

anyone?
Tony, do you want 9 or 10 gears? All of the answers would be how to get a wider range rear cassette on a 10 speed road bike.

But I read it as you have a 9 speed bike with an XT mech and you want to put drops on it? But that might just be me.

Edit, just clicked on Andy's eBay link and that's how to get 9 gears with drops, serves me right for not looking at the link earlier :oops:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
ton

Post by ton »

But I read it as you have a 9 speed bike with an XT mech and you want to put drops on it? But that might just be me.
correct mate, i have a tourer fitted with flat bars and mtb gears. i am gonna try drops for a while to see if i can get any comfier.
i have some 9 speed barend shifters but fancied some sti's
redefined_cycles

sean_iow wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:47 pm
ton wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:13 pm xt 9 speed rear mech. which road sti's will work.

anyone?
Tony, do you want 9 or 10 gears? All of the answers would be how to get a wider range rear cassette on a 10 speed road bike.

Edit, just clicked on Andy's eBay link and that's how to get 9 gears with drops, serves me right for not looking at the link earlier :oops:
Lol... I just clicked on that link too and finally realised why he suggested that... I'll go and sit in corner and shut the gob
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Doesn't really matter - Sora 9 or newer 10 spd. Both will work with a 9 spd XT rear mech. If you only want 9 gears, just set limit screws to lose the last click up the cassette or have a slack shift at 'the top'.
I've run Tiagra and Ultegra 10. Front mechs are a different tale......
Matt

Post by Matt »

I run Ultegra 10spd and an XT 9dpd rear mech on 10spd cassettes :-bd