Might be time for a new tarp

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

TheBrownDog

Might be time for a new tarp

Post by TheBrownDog »

I've just strung my DD Hammocks 3x3 Superlight up between Bramley and Rubens and, horror of horrors, there is one big giant huge tear and maybe like 5 or 6 pin prick holes. I don't usually pitch the thing in the daytime, so I don't see the holes. Bugger. Yes, I can patch them, but the thing already has about 10 or 12 gorilla tape patches, so I reckon it might be done.

Time for something new then.

Needs to be square (ish) as I will use it square on for ground sleeping and diagonally for hammocks, and large (like 3x3) and loads of tie outs. Ive had an Alpkit RIG7 and moved it on as it wasn't square enough.

Suspect I should just buy another DD number but I do rather fancy something blingy, perhaps custom?

Suggestions?
I'm just going outside ...
Leerowe76

Re: Might be time for a new tarp

Post by Leerowe76 »

Had the same DD superlight to start with but the dog chewed the corner only last week on a overnighter in the garden :cry: , Anyway after a look around and considering an alternative I ended up just ordering another one. Still have the old one to trim down and make something out of it, maybe a smaller tarp for the dog to sleep under :-bd
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
RIP

Post by RIP »

As per the pub: "same again please mate".

LOMO for £20?

If you want bling, bright orange for a tenner :grin: https://www.andescamping.co.uk/9 ... ulin.html

Get Stu to make you one out of Spinnaker? Can't get more home-grown-customised than some bloke in a barn. Would Spin work for a 3x3 Stu? Bigger pack size?
Last edited by RIP on Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Reg mate how long have we known each other? Orange? Me? And £10 for a perfectly apt piece of kit when I could spend £200? Come on 👨
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

If it's just for hanging then I rather like the various Warbonnet offerings. I've got a Superfly which is lovely but would be tempted by their Mountain or Thunderfly options.

Always worth checking their Blems (seconds for sale) "rail".
Last edited by Cheeky Monkey on Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP

Post by RIP »

TheBrownDog wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:35 pm I could spend £200
You certainly could! I love spending your money mate - Marc Trekkertent will do you a very tasty 235g cuben 9' x 9' for £270. Blingtastic bargain! Get in there!! I'll be the first to come round and marvel at it :-bd .

Or a Zpacks cuben hammock tarp WITH DOORS! https://zpacks.com/products/ham ... -w-doors

This is all making me a bit giddy :grin:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

RIP wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:51 pmMarc Trekkertent will do you a very tasty 235g cuben 9' x 9' for £270. Blingtastic bargain! Get in there!! I'll be the first to come round and marvel at it :-bd .:
I've never had anything made of cuben fibre so got quite excited for a moment there, but there's a big notice on the tarp page saying they are no longer in stock. Do I just email him and he will do my bidding?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

've never had anything made of cuben fibre so got quite excited for a moment there, but there's a big notice on the tarp page saying they are no longer in stock. Do I just email him and he will do my bidding?
Yeah, just send Marc an email Tim. He's a good bloke. It might be that supplies of cuben are running low with the way things are but if he can sort you out, then I'm sure he will.
May the bridges you burn light your way
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:03 pmYeah, just send Marc an email Tim. He's a good bloke. It might be that supplies of cuben are running low with the way things are but if he can sort you out, then I'm sure he will.
Done. Cheers Stu.

Asked or a price on a 3x3 cuben tarp with three tie outs on each edge and two ridge lines, so three across both middle lines. Think it would be about 350g and very versatile. And I promise never to build a fire under it.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

At a risk of a possible thread hijack, what’s the deal with those pyramid style tarps? What’s the pros and cons of them

See the a lot of bikepacking.com and look to be about a 3 person size.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

TheBrownDog wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:35 pm
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:03 pmYeah, just send Marc an email Tim. He's a good bloke. It might be that supplies of cuben are running low with the way things are but if he can sort you out, then I'm sure he will.
Done. Cheers Stu.

Asked or a price on a 3x3 cuben tarp with three tie outs on each edge and two ridge lines, so three across both middle lines. Think it would be about 350g and very versatile. And I promise never to build a fire under it.
Ask about the "green" Cuben. It's lighter than the normal stuff :wink:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

At a risk of a possible thread hijack, what’s the deal with those pyramid style tarps? What’s the pros and cons of them

See the a lot of bikepacking.com and look to be about a 3 person size.
A lot of space for not much weight. Quick to pitch / strike. Only requires a single pole. Quite stable (or at least more than you might think). I'm a big fan of pyramids although, not as much as this couple.

May the bridges you burn light your way
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Cheers!

Their mummy will be horrified...
macinblack

Post by macinblack »

He's quite close to the sphinxter there.
windjammer

Post by windjammer »

i could be selling my bearpaw lair tarp