For those who like clean bits.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

For those who like clean bits.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Apologies as this may be quite boring but you're not doing owt else ..... I thought some people might be interested to see what an ultrasonic cleaner can do. The manifold in question is 60 years old and doesn't appear to have ever had any type of cleaning in that time. As you can see in the first picture there were lots of burnt on fuel and oil desposits which were baked on hard and really didn't want to come off.

This is the manifold after 2 x 20 minute sessions in 100% degreaser @ 70 degrees. It's certainly removed a lot of the deposits but it's still not 'that' clean. The degreaser does tend to dull off alloy parts, so don't be surprised if they come out looking matt grey.

I gave it a rinse off with cold water then it had another 20 minutes but this time in a simple solution of water and washing up liquid and only 30 degrees. That removed the final deposits and some of the mattness (is that a real word). I rinsed it off again and gave it a literal tickle with a fine brass brush.

Like I say, probably quite boring but a few people have asked me about them before.
May the bridges you burn light your way
FLV

Re: For those who like clean bits.

Post by FLV »

Lovely stuff, i want one but really dont have the space
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Not boring, that sort of thing is deeply satisfying to do. :geek:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

That's brilliant.

You can't even make out the part/serial number in that first photo.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

That’s deeply satisfying :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

That is impressive, I've got ultrasonic cleaner on my list of things for the workshop but never quite get round to buying one.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
slarge

Post by slarge »

That is impressive. - I tried to use a cheap Aldi jewellery cleaner and it didn't quite get those results. Looks like a proper cleaner is the way to go.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I think mine was about £120. When I was rebuilding Dee's bike I mentioned that one would be handy for getting her carbs something like ... one arrived shortly after for my birthday :roll:
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Is the cleaner sealed?

Wondering why the degreased didn’t evaporate at 70C?
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

sean_iow wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:43 pm That is impressive, I've got ultrasonic cleaner on my list of things for the workshop but never quite get round to buying one.
Is that overkill for just a chain??? Can they be bought cheap(ish) :???: :smile:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Is the cleaner sealed?
It has a lid Ben. You probably do lose a bit to evaporation but not enough to notice.
Can they be bought cheap(ish)
That's about as little as you'd want to spend. Price rises from that point up to about a grand for pro' use. If all you'll ever do is a chain, buy a toothbrush :wink:
Boab

Post by Boab »

I'd love to invest in some ultrasonic cleaning capability, mostly for cleaning all my vinyl. shame they're rather expensive... 😱

* Yes, there are DIY options that fit over standard 4.5L ultrasonic baths, but they're still not that cheap...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Next time you use it Stu can you try a bit of TFR in it instead of standard degreaser, it shouldn’t dull the components as much , if it’s any good let me know and I’ll send you some over
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:11 am Is that overkill for just a chain??? Can they be bought cheap(ish) :???: :smile:
I used to clean my chains in a parts washer but I've stopped that now. I read that if you deep clean chains like that it cleans the oil out from inside the rollers/pins which is where it's needed and there's no guarantee that lubing the chain will get oil back inside. Some of the solvent can also get left inside which then thins the chain lube when that gets back in. The potential lack of oil inside accelerates the wear and reduces the life of the chain.

I don't know how true the above is but not deep cleaning the chain leaves more time for riding :smile: I now just wipe the chain down with rags moistened with brake cleaner and then dry off with a clean rag. I cant say I've noticed any difference in chain life.
redefined_cycles

Thanks Sean... I'd been using a hand ultra-non-sonic (ie. a good shake) clean you see by putting chain inside a glass jar with solvents and then shaking until the solvent ran clean (a couple of jars with clean solvent obv)... After a clean chain then baking the chain with wax/slow cooking...

Not sure if its just a futile exercise to be fair :smile:
redefined_cycles

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:07 am
If all you'll ever do is a chain, buy a toothbrush :wink:
Would have been good to USnic my cars calipers but probably wouldn't ger chance... will cont with the chain brush bath :-bd
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:53 am After a clean chain then baking the chain with wax/slow cooking...

Not sure if its just a futile exercise to be fair :smile:
I think if you're waxing and using heat then it's worth deep cleaning the chain. The heating gets the new lube deep inside. I was just putting normal chain lube on cold.

For a while I was doing a regular deep clean, using a thick wet lube applied a drop to each link with the chain off the bike, warming the chain with a hot air gun to get the lube to flow into the links, applying a different wet lube one drop per link and then putting the chain back on ... but then I realised the extent of my obsession, had a stiff word with myself and got on with my life :lol:
redefined_cycles

Sean... thats hardcore that. I thought hanging my chain up after having it in the slow cooker was dedication :-bd

One thing I have noticed is the shimano lube in a spray bottle. Says on it thats it the stuff thwy use for new chains. Its so thin that it gets everywhere and takes a whole to dry but seems to last a fair few miles (just standard chain batg cleaning prior)... I did use about 3 applications though as its that thin...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Stu can you try a bit of TFR in it instead of standard degreaser
Good thought fella. I'll pick some up when places reopen. :-bd
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:35 am Sean... thats hardcore that. I thought hanging my chain up after having it in the slow cooker was dedication :-bd

One thing I have noticed is the shimano lube in a spray bottle. Says on it thats it the stuff thwy use for new chains. Its so thin that it gets everywhere and takes a whole to dry but seems to last a fair few miles (just standard chain batg cleaning prior)... I did use about 3 applications though as its that thin...
Ladies and gentlemen of the class of '97
Use smooth lube
If I could offer you only one tip for the future, smooth lube would be it
A long-term benefits of smooth lube have been proved by scientists
Whereas the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable
Than my own meandering experience,
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:02 pm
Stu can you try a bit of TFR in it instead of standard degreaser
Good thought fella. I'll pick some up when places reopen. :-bd
I’m down the workshops on Thursday/fri I’ll get hold of a litre for you
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

been using a "spare" ultrasonic cleaner at work.
wow
chain came out cleaner than when new (removed the shipping grease)
removed that hard to get to dirt on the cassette
and no scrubbing required
thinking the rear mech from my work bike next :lol:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Out of interest, what model do you have Stu? I'm guessing it's fairly big to fit that.
AlexGold

Post by AlexGold »

How good are these meant to be on bike bits? I ask because, inspired by this thread, I bought this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

(luckily it was a bit cheaper on Black Friday or some sale)

....and I'm not that impressed! With similar amounts of water/degreaser to what I normally use, a dirty chain in this thing for 20 minutes of madness-inducing buzzing comes out.....about half clean, with dirt/grease still obvious on the outer links.

Conversely, in a couple of minutes of shaking it in a jar with the same mix, then emptying it and going again with a bit of washing up liquid, I can have an almost totally clean and gleaming chain.

Similar with cassettes - ultrasonic, 20 minutes at 80 degrees and still has gunk caked on it. The exact same mix in a plastic tub, wait 5 minutes then a couple of minutes scrubbing and you could eat your dinner off it.

Do I have a dud unit? Do I need to use different chemicals? Any other ideas/suggestions?
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

I get on average double the life on my chains, since I bought a US cleaner. I tend to only use washing up liquid on the first run and then clean water on the 2nd.
sean_iow wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:40 am
redefined_cycles wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:11 am Is that overkill for just a chain??? Can they be bought cheap(ish) :???: :smile:
I used to clean my chains in a parts washer but I've stopped that now. I read that if you deep clean chains like that it cleans the oil out from inside the rollers/pins which is where it's needed and there's no guarantee that lubing the chain will get oil back inside. Some of the solvent can also get left inside which then thins the chain lube when that gets back in. The potential lack of oil inside accelerates the wear and reduces the life of the chain.

I don't know how true the above is but not deep cleaning the chain leaves more time for riding :smile: I now just wipe the chain down with rags moistened with brake cleaner and then dry off with a clean rag. I cant say I've noticed any difference in chain life.