Garmin offline route creation

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

BigdummySteve

Garmin offline route creation

Post by BigdummySteve »

Having plenty of time I’ve been playing with garmin route creation, I can use ViewRanger with OS maps to create a route. I then export GPX to garmin connect then sync the garmin.

Both ViewRanger and ridewithgps both need to be online for automatic routing, offline I can plot a route point to point in VR then save it. The problem then comes in getting it on to the garmin, I can’t find a way to transfer offline, any clues?

To be fair it’s not very often I’ve needed to plot and follow a route when offline but it would be nice to find out.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Pirahna

Re: Garmin offline route creation

Post by Pirahna »

Save the gpx, plug the Garmin into the computer, put the gpx in the folder called "new files" on the Garmin.

The same folder structure will be on the Garmin and on the SD card if you're using one. Either will do.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I’m thinking more of the sat in a tent/bothy situation with no internet. As mentioned above I can access very good maps and route creation tools via a phone/tablet but without an internet connection I can’t find a way to transfer them to the device.

ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Does your phone/tablet support USB OTG? If so you should be able to transfer via a cable to the file system on your Garmin.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Probably not, it’s an apple product.....

whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Usually phone to GPS device transfer is via bluetooth which doesn't require an internet connection. Maybe try pairing phone and Garmin and see if you can transfer the file then.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

I've transfered routes offline on my i-phone via Kamoot App-Garmin Connect App-Garmin Steve..

I think once the route file is in the i-phone app it's just a matter transfer/sync via bluetooth, which i think is what you're saying above..

No idea if you can create routes off-line with Kamoot or Garmin Connect though!

Edit: Pretty much what Bob said above..
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

This is how it works for me;
Sketch the route on your fav nav app on the phone. I've used var. nav/map apps and in the end don't see big differences between them. Yet there may be a few apps which don't allow track/route export, so make sure yours does. Gaia works for example.

Once the track/route is ready, save it to your phone (export from app). From there share it with Garmin Connect. Switch on gps, activate bluetooth on both phone and gps, pair, sync and your done.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

The problem is that connect then comes up with a message saying ‘oops something went wrong importing your route’ you must connect to WiFi or cellular to use garmin connect.

I’m just idly playing with a hypothetical situation where I might have zero connectivity apart from Bluetooth.

BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

If I was using a windows tablet I could plug the garmin in then drop the exported GPX into the correct folder on the garmin via a cable. So far there appears to be no way to do this via Bluetooth from an iPhone.

Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

BigdummySteve wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:27 am The problem is that connect then comes up with a message saying ‘oops something went wrong importing your route’ you must connect to WiFi or cellular to use garmin connect.

I’m just idly playing with a hypothetical situation where I might have zero connectivity apart from Bluetooth.
Oh, of course. Sorry, you said offline :roll:
What gps do you use? Some can be paired with Earthmate, which works offline and has route planning options.

If not (yet) found a way to do that from android to edge, but know that with rooted androids it can be done.

When on a trip and in need of route adjustments, I simply use the gps's route making capabilities (make sure you have a good map on the gps) or smartphone for the electronical part in navigation.
In the Puna de Atacama the gps actually came up with some wonderful ideas and old tracks I didn't know existed due to not making my home work at home properly.

It may not be the solution you think of when sat at home, but in the field it does work well.
Well enough for me to not bother any further.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

BigdummySteve wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:27 am I’m just idly playing with a hypothetical situation where I might have zero connectivity apart from Bluetooth.
As said, once the situation isn't hypothetical, you just go with what you have and will soon find it all works well.

If this doesn't make you happy, get an earthmate supporting gps unit or any thing else that supports your needs (perhaps a different gps brand? Or a rooted android).
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Edge 1030 and iOS devices, I’m thinking if I was to do a long tour offline I’d need either a windows tablet or rooted android device+ cable.
I know you can create routes within the 1030 but it’s so much easier via ViewRanger with the detailed mapping.

At least I know it’s not possible, so at least I’ve learnt something :-bd

ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Why a "rooted" Android device?
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

The last time I had an android device standard ones were very picky about connections and otg cables, it was a long time ago however and things may well have changed.

ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Ah. OK. My last three Androids have all had it as standard (Sony, Samsung, Sony)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Never fails and works without bluetooth or WiFi. I can access it from inside a tent too :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

What if I’m not in Sevenoaks?

Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Then you may need to move your tent first.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

What if I’m not in Sevenoaks?
You're buggered.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Older smartphones weren't otg capable and needed rooting to be able to do such (and many other) things. Most (all?) newer androids seem to support otg, but you may still need a file manager (app) or use an app to make the otg functions accessible.

I've never tried it (otg phone to garmin) and know of those few who tried that it didn't work. Can't remember the phone brands.
One mate rooted his phone(not just by using rooted file manager) to access his device (was a camera though).

If you reall need/want it, check if your otg is accessible on your phone with an app that checks the phone's otg options, get or lend a otg usb or whatever you need (bolt?) cable, download a file manager (check which one with doing some research) and see what happens.

That's how I would do it, before cycling to my nerd mate who rooted his and hacks stuff.

Everything is possible. Just a question of effort. As always.