Fat tyre kicker

Re: Before Cuben, carbon and Dyneema

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

It's a lovely tent, handmade in Greenock if I remember, even has the
Signature of the lassie who checked it over on despatch
Boab

Post by Boab »

Fat tyre kicker wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:00 am It's a lovely tent, handmade in Greenock if I remember, even has the
Signature of the lassie who checked it over on despatch
Vango is an anagram of the place where they [were | are] made, Govan. Went to the factory once, when I used to work for Tiso...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
psling

Post by psling »

RIP wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:00 pm Can feel a Phoenix Phan Club BBB meeting building up here :wink:
:-bd

The porch on my Phreak was home to my old labrador on many a backpacking trip.
I also have a Phoenix Goretex bivvy bag still in regular use (I was in it on our FoD trip Reg). Must be coming on 30 years old now!
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
RIP

Post by RIP »

You had a Phreak as well?! You could set up a Phoenix museum. Sadly my 'runner got moved on over 20 years ago which was a very silly thing to do, so if we had a meet-up I'd have to request the loan of one of your stable... :sad: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

RIP wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:06 pm You had a Phreak as well?! You could set up a Phoenix museum. Sadly my 'runner got moved on over 20 years ago which was a very silly thing to do, so if we had a meet-up I'd have to request the loan of one of your stable... :sad: .
Don't you mean kennel?
RIP

Post by RIP »

Good point :wink: .

Ah no, stable as in 'stable of'. Kennel being singular albeit applicable to Peter's usage. Getting a bit confused now so I'm going over to your Today's Ride to make a facetious comment :wink: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:18 pm North Face Bullfrog
The first decent tent I ever bought. I binned it a couple of years ago as the fabric was starting to fall apart.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Ha, was just re-discovering the Saunders Cellphone I got for my birthday in the year of the Live Aid concerts. Seams have been resealed a few times and a bit of mildew on the part cotton inner.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

I had one of the early TNF Tadpoles as well, lovely tent. Made the mistake of selling it on to buy a MT25 (Which was crap) when I was doing a lot more mountaineering. Sold that a few years later and bought a Mountain Hardware Trango 2 - still have that 20 years on.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I have one of those Phoenix Goretex bivvy bags as well which is still functional for the most part (it has one seam on the hood which is taped externally for some reason and the tape on that has peeled off, the internal taping on the other seams is still fine). Mine is screaming red not the more popular green. It's a bit bulky being three layer Goretex but feels rock solid in use and breathes better than the newer Alpkit bivvy I have.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

TheBrownDog wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:55 pm
benp1 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:09 pm I have a Scarp. Love it. Wouldn't mind if it was green, although that would make it darker inside
I'd love a Scarp. My Bg Agnes coffin is going on the classifieds shortly. Ben, what is the actual real world pack size?
Seeing as it's next to my office desk

21 in long
Stuff sack shape means the bottom is more rectangular and top is more round. Bottom is 8x4in, top is 6 in diameter
Bang on 1.5kg from memory

That's uncompressed, but including poles and pegs. Crossing poles would be extra, have never used them. Packs slightly smaller than a Wild Country Zephyros 2 XL. Doesn't go town tiny due to the struts at the end, I've carried mine in a bar harness and a rucksack

BUT, it's big inside, no problem for my height (lying or sitting), and two porches. Most of the other lighter tents are either shorter in height, length, or both
psling

Post by psling »

Jurassic wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:33 am I have one of those Phoenix Goretex bivvy bags as well which is still functional for the most part (it has one seam on the hood which is taped externally for some reason and the tape on that has peeled off, the internal taping on the other seams is still fine). Mine is screaming red not the more popular green. It's a bit bulky being three layer Goretex but feels rock solid in use and breathes better than the newer Alpkit bivvy I have.
Yep, mine too - the external tape across the hood which has peeled off. Good old green for me. Weighs in at about 550g but it gives me room for my 100kg bulk in comfort. I have spent the night in it in continous rain without a tarp before now and stayed completely dry with only minimal dampness from condensation at the foot end and fully zipped in (OK, just a 2" gap at one end).
RIP wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:06 pm You had a Phreak as well?! You could set up a Phoenix museum
Just the Phreak and the Bivvy bag Reg, never had the ph'runner. The Phreak certainly is very stable though :grin: Having started with a cotton Force 10 back in the early/mid 70s, my first kit was very much belt & braces.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

psling wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:57 pm

Yep, mine too - the external tape across the hood which has peeled off. Good old green for me. Weighs in at about 550g but it gives me room for my 100kg bulk in comfort. I have spent the night in it in continous rain without a tarp before now and stayed completely dry with only minimal dampness from condensation at the foot end and fully zipped in (OK, just a 2" gap at one end).

Have you done anything to mitigate the peeling tape issue psling? I tried to glue mine back on with no success, I was wondering whether to try sealing it with McNett goop but haven't got round to it yet (I usually have my upper body under a tarp of some sort anyway so that I can sleep with my head stuck out).
psling

Post by psling »

Jurassic wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:14 pm Have you done anything to mitigate the peeling tape issue psling?
Mmmm... I cut it off! It hasn't leaked and isn't in a critical area for me if it did seep a bit; it's by the zip which is usually open anyway.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

psling wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:42 pm
Jurassic wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:14 pm Have you done anything to mitigate the peeling tape issue psling?
Mmmm... I cut it off! It hasn't leaked and isn't in a critical area for me if it did seep a bit; it's by the zip which is usually open anyway.
Cool, I cut it off as well (after my failed attempt to reattach it). There's already some goo on the seam from the failed repair so it probably won't leak much anyway.