Maxle stealth axle help

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mike

Maxle stealth axle help

Post by Mike »

Anyone using a maxle stealth axle in front wheel, if so can you tell me if yours has a black washer by nut head??
Mine hasnt and im nit sure if it should have one installed as it seems to bite alot when done up. Dont know if i dropped it in garden whilst cleaning....doh
Wotsits

Re: Maxle stealth axle help

Post by Wotsits »

Not a Stealth, but got something similar on my Pivot pal & yes, i'd say there should be a washer in there.
Mine has gone walk-a-bout, & like you say, it binds when tightened up. Prob is that its a thin, i'd say non-standard washer. I still need to have a look for a replacement..
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I've just been out the shed to check, I've got a maxle stealth in the rear of my Spearfish, no washer fitted.

When you say it binds does the thread run out before it's fully seated or is it just difficult to undo?

It's not meant to be easy to remove from forks otherwise the flex can cause it to loosen. My maxle is smooth on the underside of the head but I think the DT Swiss version on the Selma is serrated on the underside to make it self locking.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Also, if there was meant to be a washer surley they'd make it captive? Otherwise there's a chance of loosing it on the trail if you had to take the wheel out, say for fixing a puncture or carrying it across the grand canyon :smile: A loose washer would be a very poor design.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

You've only had this bike 10 minutes and already you've lost bits FFS :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Mike

Post by Mike »

😂😂

Sean, i noticed the other day when i went to undo it that it was super tight and creeked when i undone it. The inside of face of bolt is smooth no serrated edges. It seems better now iv put some grease on it tbh. Not sure if i should or not but at least it comes undone easier now. Perhaps im just riding it to hard and putting to much force through front axle :lol:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Mine creaks when I undo it as well and it's quite tight to undo, well provided I've done it up properly.

For the first 2 days of the Dales Divide I had a creak from the rear i thought was the freehub or hub bearings, when the tyre started to rub on the seatstays I thought I should investigate, turns out the axle was loose :oops: on the bright side I went from total despair that I'd be a dnf to total elation I could continue in the space of 30 seconds :smile:
slarge

Post by slarge »

I'd put grease under the head of the Maxle and threadlock on the threads, that way it won't come undone, but it won't bind either
FLV

Post by FLV »

No washer on my forks mate, 2020 Sids with Maxle stealth.

Probably dry as a wotsit currently, 'tiny' bit of anti seize (keep it away from brearings of course) or a bit of grease. My front one regularly loosens a touch so I just nip it up every so often.

No washer in the handbook either mate
https://www.servicearchive.sram.com/sit ... _rev_a.pdf
Mike

Post by Mike »

:-bd a super, cheers all for ya contributions at least i know iv not lost any parts, yet stu :lol: