Pro cyclists bikepacking

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ScotRoutes

Re: Pro cyclists bikepacking

Post by ScotRoutes »

I reckon more than one HT550 retirement wasn't due to not being able to win, but simply not being able to set a PR. Plus, for some it will be about setting a record, so not just winning but being the fastest ever too. If the conditions get bad early on, there then becomes no reason to continue.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

It was pretty bad to be fair
I did not mean it as an insult/dig i just meant to show that even on a non technical ride you need a skill set beyond being fast on a bike and never needing to sleep- camping/survival /experince to take the right kit yet not overpack etc

Obvioulsy the HT550 adds even more into the mix with weather and technical difficulty

I do agree there are a number now who are just racing -finishing is not important finishing first and fast is all that matters and if they cannot do it they will go home
I think Lael finished the TD though didnt she but not official as she saw her partner at the lodge ?
Karl

Post by Karl »

Continuing with what Phil said about my highland trail last year. I carried very minimalist kit, including cumulus 150 quilt. Weather dropped to about -7 on the second night after 2 days of rain, I can assure you my kit choice was wrong. I got up at 2am as I was very cold and decided to start riding. This was my saviour. A technique told me from Gian is that if it's too cold to sleep get up and get moving.After this the Highland Trail became "easier" because I started to warmup and dry it. The weather got better. This is where luck came in. If I'd been quicker (probably unlikely) I would have been higher up, more isolated and colder. The river on the top loop would have been in full spate. Mentally I would have likely had a tougher time (and possibly DNF), I was already working closer to the edge of my comfortable operating window for mental, physical and environment conditions. Understanding of these limits comes from knowledge and experience of going close to the edge (or too far sometimes) which a pro rider would have the capabilities to learn but probably doesn't possess at the start of their bikepacking "career".

If only I was a pro athlete I'd be unstoppable :lol:

Moral of the story is that a pro rider who can learn the basics of bikepacking, including the suffering, will kick my ass.