New around these parts...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

darbeze

New around these parts...

Post by darbeze »

Hello all,

I have been reading the forum for quite a while now. I finally registered today so I could join in the fun.

Started riding again nearly 3 years ago after a 15 year break. Started again mainly to get fit and also because I wanted to go back to Iceland but needed to do it cheaply so thought taking mountain bikes would be a good idea. A couple of months of riding a short distance to work did not prepare me! I shall share some pictures with you soon.

Since then, I seem to have really been bitten by the riding bug. I am lucky enough to live near Dartmoor and dabbled with my first "bike-packing" jaunt in December. I loved it, despite it raining all night and being very cold. Again, I shall pop up a picture or two soon. Not much to see really, as it was a bit dreary.

Have taken inspiration from Alistair Humphreys "short rde" idea and plan to do a bivvi after work somewhere near Brixham when it is a bit warmer.

I used the Cyclescheme to acquire a Felt Q620 hardtail in 2010 for going to Iceland and have been fettling it ever since. I have made the following changes:

2.2 Continental Mountain King tyres
Mavic Crossride Wheels
Shimano M520 SPD pedals(MTB 41 shoes. Heavy but fairly cheap)
Charge Spoon saddle
Bar ends
Removed 100mm Suntour XCR Lo forks and replaced with Kona Project Two steel forks

Really fancy another bike but just cannot make up my mind what sort to get... I like the thought of a steel frame as I find my Aluminium frame a bit harsh. I rode a steel road bike in the Dartmoor Classic last year and felt more compliant than my hardtail with suspension!

Anyway, enough waffling!

Cheers,

Simon
slugwash

Re: New around these parts...

Post by slugwash »

< waves from the other side of the Dart Estuary> Hello neighbour 8-)

Fancy joining us for a Fernworthy Forest flyfishing bivi in a fortnight or so?
darbeze

Re: New around these parts...

Post by darbeze »

I have never done any fishing... Would that be a problem?

I certainly do need a prod to actually get out and bivvi...

Keep me posted...

Si