Beast sightings??

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Jurassic pusher

Beast sightings??

Post by Jurassic pusher »

Late Summer 2008, whilst 4 miles into a 13 mile run ( I ran a lot at that time)I was running up a long farm drive with maize planted on either side and approx 100 to 150 yds in front a large sandy coloured creature darted out from right to left and disappeared into the maize again it was very fast and its tail was as long as its body.
Obviously I have no proof but I know what I saw!
Anyone seen anything unexplainable?? Sasquatch? Nessie?

It wasn`t this though..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_xOfxY5n2U
PaulB2

Re: Beast sightings??

Post by PaulB2 »

It wasn't the Essex Lion was it? It ticks all the boxes
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

A few years ago on a foggy morning I saw a strange looking shaggy creature through the mist. Turned out to be an Afghan hound that had escaped. It was very friendly, had an address on his collar, so I took him home.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Pirahna wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:17 pm strange looking shaggy creature through the mist
Was preparing myself for a story about a bikepacker there for a minute :smile:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

When I was on Mull I stopped to have a breather, anyways across the road I noticed a cat, a feckin big cat! Hope the film plays... Click on the image to play the video!

Image20190421_153042 by Jeff Price, on Flickr
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 4

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
RIP

Post by RIP »

Blimey that's a moggy and a half! Black - puma? Maybe that car's owner was letting it out for a bit of exercise?
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Jurassic pusher

Pirahna wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:17 pm A few years ago on a foggy morning I saw a strange looking shaggy creature through the mist. Turned out to be an Afghan hound that had escaped. It was very friendly, had an address on his collar, so I took him home.
If it was on Dartmoor it would have makings of a good book!
Jurassic pusher

summittoppler wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:12 pm When I was on Mull I stopped to have a breather, anyways across the road I noticed a cat, a feckin big cat! Hope the film plays... Click on the image to play the video!

Image20190421_153042 by Jeff Price, on Flickr
That is big cat!, what I saw was in a real hurry the most distinctive feature was the tails length.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Maybe we need a copy of this?

May the bridges you burn light your way
Jurassic pusher

PaulB2 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:24 am It wasn't the Essex Lion was it? It ticks all the boxes
Just googled Essex Lion, I can see why it was mistaken.
Jurassic pusher

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:27 pm Maybe we need a copy of this?

I think I went out with a few!
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

On an early morning airport run to pick up the inlaws, I saw a what i thought was a Kangaroo stooped over drinking from a small beck. It was in the days before phones with cameras on so didn't get a picture but I pulled over and watched it for a few moments before it clocked me and hopped away out of sight.

I was told a few years later that it was probably a Wallaby and had escaped from a farm in the area.

Talking of Wallabies, one of the islands on Loch Lomond has loads, cheeky buggers who'd come into camp and scrounge for food

Quarantined old photo on Photobucket but it's left of centre
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I had a ginger Maine Coon at the time of the Essex Lion sightings which was why it resonated. He was too small at 'only' 9kg (his dad was well north of 12kg) and had the wrong markings to be a show cat, but he still dwarfed all the local cats, including our other cat. When Boris died we realised that our other cat was actually the biggest in the neighbourhood he just looked small next to Boris. Maine coons have long chunky legs and a very long tail so if perspective is playing tricks you'll definitely do a double take.

Not mine or my child but it shows the scale:

Jurassic pusher

It would take a brave dog to put that one up a tree!!
Dean

Post by Dean »

http://fionalang.blogspot.com/2013/08/t ... g-cat.html

A puma was trapped by a farmer in Cannich in 1980, it had been eating deer and sheep.
mechanicaldope

Post by mechanicaldope »

Read thread title, got excited, realised I had miss-read threat title, was disappointed.
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

mechanicaldope wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:14 pm Read thread title, got excited, realised I had miss-read threat title, was disappointed.
:mrgreen:
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Here's another picture of one of the Loch Lomond wallabies that Shewie mentioned. They used to be regular visitors to our camps on their island (this one was cleaning up left over fajita sauce from my pan and wooden spoon). I've not been out there for a while but unfortunately they've been culled (under mysterious circumstances) and I'm not sure if there are any surviving now. :sad:
ImageWallaby and spoon by Jurassic690, on Flickr
RIP

Post by RIP »

What a brilliant photo! Should be under "Cheery Friday" :smile: .

Shewie

Post by Shewie »

Jurassic wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:30 pm Here's another picture of one of the Loch Lomond wallabies that Shewie mentioned. They used to be regular visitors to our camps on their island (this one was cleaning up left over fajita sauce from my pan and wooden spoon). I've not been out there for a while but unfortunately they've been culled (under mysterious circumstances) and I'm not sure if there are any surviving now. :sad:
ImageWallaby and spoon by Jurassic690, on Flickr
That's a shame Chris, they were good fun to hunt (not to eat just to find) :roll:

Last time I paddled across was a couple of years ago and couldn't find any, my mates thought I was having them on. The sadness was overcome by the entertainment of one of the guys managing to break both his legs whilst foraging bilberries and getting choppered off the north beach lol
RIP

Post by RIP »

Shewie wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:59 pm one of the guys managing to break both his legs whilst foraging bilberries and getting choppered off the north beach lol
I know it's beer o'clock so it's probably just me but this thread is getting ever more bizarre :-bd

Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Shewie wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:59 pm

That's a shame Chris, they were good fun to hunt (not to eat just to find) :roll:

Last time I paddled across was a couple of years ago and couldn't find any, my mates thought I was having them on. The sadness was overcome by the entertainment of one of the guys managing to break both his legs whilst foraging bilberries and getting choppered off the north beach lol
Yeah Rich, they were great to see and some were quite tame (my mate Sean had to push one away after it stuck it's head into his food bag that was under the camp chair he was sitting on).
I've not overnighted on the island for a couple of years now, our last trip out there was in late autumn and we still ended up getting noisy neighbours in a couple of speed boat things which completely ruined the ambiance. We didn't see any on that trip but had seen a lone one the year before. I've never got to the bottom of the cull, I've heard stories that it was carried out by Luss Estates on the premise that the wallabies were eating the foliage that native species would eat (namely the non-existent Capercaillie that the National Park wouldn't admit were extinct in the area as it would leave them liable to an EEC fine!) The Capercaillie weren't a resident species either, they were reintroduced in the 1800s from Scandinavia IIRC so I feel eliminating the wallabies who'd been on the island since the 1920s was a bit crap.
quimarche

Post by quimarche »

The warm weather and lack of traffic meant this, yesterday, at Dubs reservoir on the way to Garburn Pass.

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

When Chew, Zip and myself were on the IoM last, we ended up finding an overnight spot that was populated with Wallaby that had jumped the fence from a nearby wildlife park.
May the bridges you burn light your way
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

About 16 years ago l was travelling down the M40 near Bicester with my ex and her eldest son. Her lad and I both spotted this big black panther sized cat in a field. We both did a double take and said ‘did you see that!’ Apparently it was the Bicester Beast.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark