Stuck between two bikes

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Stuck between two bikes

Post by redefined_cycles »

Not sure if its the Bike Lust thread or not but...

We've bewn saving up for the little ones (well 14 YOs) new bike. He gave away his Pinnacle (Arkose I think it was) to fund the respirator appeal and get it off the ground. So I suppose he deserves summat nice.

Won't say how tall he is as its irrelevant as I have better dimensions: He fits my Stan (the Sonder) nicely which is a medium Transmitter, as long as I've got the saddle down.

The 2 bikes I'm stuck between is as follows:

Managed to secure a deal on a Genesis Alfine Di2 disc. In uswd condition and Reynolds 853 tubing and can get it for £525 but the trip will take me 8 hours return which can add another £80 (obviously I'll be taking up a shift to help out closeby so making it ethical and legal etc etc as the chap won't deliver). Aaked regards the drivetrain and he doesnt seem to know if the chain is worn and told me its cheap to replace :smile: (he maybe doesn't get how chain wear then wears everything else slowly)... Also the di2 charger doesnt come with and ita probably a 2015ish version of di2! Do I really want the little one having to worry about that... Size is 54cm which in my mind wouldn't fit as didn't Gen make longer top tubes like Cotics!

So whilst looking at above bike and contemplating, its brought me back to the Salsa Warbird Lust (SRAM gearing notwithstanding). At least with a Grvl bike we can go off road and he doesnt need to worry about always needing decent lanes to ride it. On top of that with the addition of aome 650 rims we could probably get set up with some decent mtb tires (of olden days). Price difference might be £400 but then I'm getting some Salsa loveliness and free delivery etc etc etc

Thougts please
Fat tyre kicker

Re: Stuck between two bikes

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

Simple....buy the Salsa, you won't be disappointed.....even with SRAM :grin:
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Alfine is a lump. I like them for all sorts of practical stuff but I wouldn't choose it in your situation.
redefined_cycles

Thanks... glad I mulled it over for so long. I have a theory that if you give the kids (might not work for mine but here's hoping and my Sonder does almist bring a smile to his face) something nice to ride growing up on... Then they're cyclists (hopefully safely) for life...

Will message Huw just now and GodWilling he'll pick up messages pretty sharpish. I checked the sizings on the Salsa site and seems the 55cm/54.5 is perfect for littler people (no offence anyone)... So hopefully perfect for a 14/15yr old

Thanks all
Captain Fizz

Post by Captain Fizz »

Salsa all the way :grin:
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

What they said :lol:
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

What bikes have you got Shaff*?

I'd be matching the type of bike you've got to his new ride (but of the two, the Salsa...!)

Also, consider what he may ride next year? Is he likely to go off to the woods with his mates to muck about on bikes? If so, a gravel bike may not be ideal

*That is right, isn't it?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I don't think many 14/15 year olds will be interested in a gravel bike. Most want something a bit more rad for throwing around in the woods with their mates. Jump bikes, that sort of thing.
slarge

Post by slarge »

Hi Shaf, what sort of riding does your lad want to do? In my experience the best bike is the bombproof one that can be left outside a mates house etc etc and that their dad wouldn’t shed a tear if it got nicked.......,
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Salsa all the way for me. Can take bigger tyres so more versatile. Day one is a bit dated.

Also by time you have factored the trip to SE6 surely not much difference in cost?
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

slarge wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:32 pm Hi Shaf, what sort of riding does your lad want to do? In my experience the best bike is the bombproof one that can be left outside a mates house etc etc and that their dad wouldn’t shed a tear if it got nicked.......,
Not sure I’d agree, in my experience sh!te bikes put kids off, heavy old tanks and poor equipment, would you want to ride one?

When I was looking for my lads next bike a brought Stu,s on-one Inbred. I had to make some adjustments such as shorter 150mm cranks, shorter stem and different bars. He loves it, so much epso that he actually won’t ride it to school in case it gets stolen.

The biggest thing is the fit, lots of kids bikes have cranks which are far too long for shot legs, you need to possibly change components, trim bars and adjust it to fit.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
redefined_cycles

slarge wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:32 pm Hi Shaf, what sort of riding does your lad want to do? In my experience the best bike is the bombproof one that can be left outside a mates house etc etc and that their dad wouldn’t shed a tear if it got nicked.......,
Truth is he doesn't really know. Its possibly me forcing riding upon him (but he does enjoy it when he does finally get out and about on his old bike or my Stan)... I think the theory behind having a legend of a bike that can adapt itself a little, means we can do a bit of gravel (maybe a touch of light singletrack :o ) but also he can start getting used to thw road riding. Plus, like the Gary Fisher which started life as his elder (half) brothers, I'm hoping the Wardbird will get some quality time with the 3 of em over the years (5 year old loves his Isla and by the time he's ready for the Salsa he should be able to handle a bit of singletrack of a road bike :-bd )...

(Salsa) Simon, it os indeed Shafiq... some people say Shaf and others Shaff... But whenever anyone ever asks me at work for example for the shortened version... I always reply with 'Shafiq'... Confuses em a bit... in response to 'what bikes I've got'... I have Stan (the Sonder Transmitter on 650b with sus) and Frieda (Italian road bike which I've widened the tyres to 33mm so lets call it my gravel bike :smile: Hopefully between my 2 bikes - that is following the n-1 rule right!?! - there'll always be something i can go ride with one or 2 of the 3 (4th... who's the eldest doesnt talk to us! :sad: )...

Offer sent to Huw (not to drop price but to give respite on payment til weekend :smile: ) so hopefully he'll respond soon enough and not get sad at what a bargain he's throwing out there!
redefined_cycles

ScotRoutes wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:00 pm I don't think many 14/15 year olds will be interested in a gravel bike. Most want something a bit more rad for throwing around in the woods with their mates. Jump bikes, that sort of thing.
Colin... he's had em. Still, nothing really makes him wanna get out with too much enthusiasm :grin:
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

BigdummySteve wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:17 pm
Not sure I’d agree, in my experience sh!te bikes put kids off, heavy old tanks and poor equipment, would you want to ride one?

When I was looking for my lads next bike a brought Stu,s on-one Inbred. I had to make some adjustments such as shorter 150mm cranks, shorter stem and different bars. He loves it, so much epso that he actually won’t ride it to school in case it gets stolen.

The biggest thing is the fit, lots of kids bikes have cranks which are far too long for shot legs, you need to possibly change components, trim bars and adjust it to fit.
The poor show bikes logic is the reason mine have had umpteen Isla bikes. Sadly neither of them ride anymore, but then that's them and their age, blah blah. I thought decent kids bikes like the Isla's were well worth it. The hand-me-downs have been round many of my mate's kids as well. They are finally gravitating back to me. Look battered but did the job and will probably do more when I finally clean them up and flog on.

My lad even had an Inbred. Well, a Timbred. Luckiest little bugger ever. Now too tall for that and taller than his old man. At the mo' I couldn't ever imagining him doing anything vaguely amounting to exercise. Kids! :roll: