New Cumulus 600 Bag

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Escape Goat

New Cumulus 600 Bag

Post by Escape Goat »

Love my 450, but the 600 could very well see me talking a little less gear with me on cold bivvys when we can play out again. Anyone ordered one?

http://sleepingbags-cumulus.eu/uk/categ ... &comp_id=7

Bearbonesnorm

Re: New Cumulus 600 Bag

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

if I use my usual calulations regarding the amount of insulation and what that equates to in temp figures, 600g and -13 don't really add up. I'm not saying it's wrong, I'm just saying I'm surprised.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

You're right. My 450 is warm but I would say about 3 ish degrees for comfort using your move a down coat around the bag system.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I seem to recal temp rating include the following assumptions
1) you are wearing thermals
2) you are on a mat
3) you are sleeping in the foetal position- which i never do anyway nevermind after a day in the saddle when i like to stretch my legs

I assume all of us just add 5 degrees to the whatever temp any makers says as a more real rating for any system.
I am sure there is someone out there who finds the rating accurate but i have yet to meet them.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

The -13 is the limit temp, the comfort is -6. With 600g of down and a total weight of 970g it's pretty close to my Alpkit Pipedream 600 (mine's 10+years old so the spec may have changed) and I'd say that's comfortable down to that sort of temp.

The Pipedream is rated as a comfort of -10 but that's a bit much for me. I only use the Pipedream for the winter months as I find it too warm once it's above a couple of degrees.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Not just an assumption about wearing thermals, it's part of the test standard (actually I think the mannequins are dressed in shell suits).

I find the EN13537 ratings pretty accurate but then I'm a warm sleeper so tend towards the "limit" rating which is the one that's usually quoted. If you are a cold sleeper then you should look at the "comfort" rating. That Panyam 600 has a comfort rating of -6C.

A bit of searching around and 600g of 650fp down in a Rab bag is rated to -10C, the PHD equivalent, presumably 850fp down, is rated to -15C so I don't think the limit rating of -13C is too far out.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I like the plus 5degree - I know there's so many variables on how warm one can be, but just looking at the specs I think it would be just as warm night on night with my 250 quilt and a 450 bag with all the usual clothes / food intake.

Oh how I wish I had money to throw around right now so I could just get it and assume it will be warmer. I find when I'm not using stuff, I'm looking on how to improve it. Got 2 mountain bikes in storage...that I've mentally upgraded loads of parts on :lol:

Just nice to see a beefier Panyam. Would be better if the hoods where not as thin as paper.
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Think my mh flame is 575 g of down 800fp and comfort is -5 , don’t know how close to truth it is but I’ve never been cold in it , maybe a little too warm , if I Remember right it weighs in at 0.95 kg , if your looking for for a good winter bag have a look for one of these it also comes in around £100 cheaper if you look around
Only use it 2-3 months of the year as my 250 quilt is more than adequate for the rest of the year
Teetosugars

Post by Teetosugars »

I’ve just got their Mysterious Traveller bag.
More for backpacking than bike packing as it’s huge, but seems spotty dog.
And look at Rock and Run as they sell them cheaper than the Cumulus homepage..
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

That bag looks toasty!
ootini

Post by ootini »

In real world terms, isn't the pipedream more bang for buck so to speak?