Combination Pedals

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

The Cumbrian

Combination Pedals

Post by The Cumbrian »

I've found that using SPD pedals for prolonged periods makes the balls of my feet go numb. I don't get this on my mountain bike that's fitted with big platform pedals, so I'm guessing that it's because of the smaller surface area of the SPD pedal interface. I'm also using very cheap Muddy Fox SPD shoes, which may not be stiff enough to spread the forces and pressure.
Any similar experiences and solutions? Back when I was doing a lot of cycling I used big bear trap pedals with toe clips and never had this problem.
Right now I've got Love Mud Jeckylls fitted, and I'd like another combination pedal, but with a larger platform on both sides.
I've seen pedals online that seem to fit the bill by Funn and DMR. Has anyone got experience of these?

Cheers, Michael.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
ootini

Re: Combination Pedals

Post by ootini »

I've used Shimano M324 pedals. Bit clunky but they were ok. Never had any major issues with them.
I've not experienced the numbness you describe, but do want the convenience of a flat and a clipless side so looking for something right now for my Arkose.
Of all the options out there, the Shimano EH500 is looking about the best for me.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

I have shimano spd shoes and boots (mw7 and 501 wProofs) and yes i get this with my xtr (ebay yesteryear versions) pedals but didn't get numb feet with the boots and flatties on 200km of bearbones finest
redefined_cycles

I think its called hotfoot
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

One of the reasons I use Crank Bros Candies. The small platform helps spread weight rather than it all being through the cleat.
redefined_cycles

ScotRoutes wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:50 am One of the reasons I use Crank Bros Candies. The small platform helps spread weight rather than it all being through the cleat.
So which other ones are like these... is it just the CBs
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

M530 have worked well for me in the past - they aren’t the lightest pedals though
RIP

Post by RIP »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:54 am
ScotRoutes wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:50 am One of the reasons I use Crank Bros Candies. The small platform helps spread weight rather than it all being through the cleat.
XT M8120. Got them on my P7 at moment.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

time do one a well but different cleat pattern from shimano bit you get lateral float- you cn slide your foot sideways in the clea system so its not as "locked" as in the shimano set up - helps if you have dodgy knees like i do

the platform version is heavy though and used to be all metal so I assume cold in winter - never tried them they are on my summer big FS bike
The newere version -judging by all other models - is probably compsite now so may not be as cold

Seems like there are loads out there but not sure if they willhelpwith your problem as I have never had that and not why I use them
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

A stiffer soled shoe will certainly help, though they can be less comfortable for walking in.
redefined_cycles

RIP wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:19 am
Always noticed these Reg... but assumed the cleat platform sits proud of the actual adge bits so assumed it doesnt actually increase the surface area of the pedal/shoe interface. Seems like you're saying this isn't the case Reg?? :-bd
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

A stiffer soled shoe will certainly help, though they can be less comfortable for walking in.
the most disappointing moment of my cycling career was retiring my Lake winter boots because the soles had worn out !
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Candy’s for me too! Lovely small platform and easier to clip into then the egg beater style (well, it was a long time ago I used the egg beaters but from faded memory...)
RIP

Post by RIP »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:30 am
RIP wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:19 am
Always noticed these Reg... but assumed the cleat platform sits proud of the actual adge bits so assumed it doesnt actually increase the surface area of the pedal/shoe interface. Seems like you're saying this isn't the case Reg?? :-bd
Slightly proud but still seem to get support. Easy to clip into as well. Having said that I'm going to put my Saint flats back on again. I'm that fickle, me :wink: . So that's me outta this thread :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster