What's your favourite 700 gravel tyre?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

PaulE

Re: What's your favourite 700 gravel tyre?

Post by PaulE »

Terrene Elwood are excellent for me. I used to use small block 8, but the elwoods are very nearly as grippy and loads faster. Easy tubeless too.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Lazarus wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:37 am standard tubeless procedure that isnt it
Not with the WTB Riddlers
Fit one side of bead
Add sealant to tyre
Fit other side
Inflate with a standard track pump
Absolutely no faffing required
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Std tubeless procedure for me is:

Fit tape, making sure it's both pressed into the well of the rim and the edges are on the shelf at the edge.
Fit valve, remove valve core (do not lose!)
Fit tyre, making sure you do the most important bit of aligning valve with logo. You might want to make sure you've got the recommended rotational direction correct.
Inflate so that the tyre bead seats evenly on both sides.
Remove pump, add sealant via valve
Replace valve core and inflate tyre to desired pressure
Go for a ride.

Back to tyres. The only ones I've used have been WTB Riddlers 37c which were fine both on and off-road but a little skitty in mud.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Nanos for me, but they're the only ones I've ridden!

Had 40s on my arkose and have a 2.1 set for my Solaris. Will be fitted to my second wheelset at some point
Boab

Post by Boab »

johnnystorm wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:01 pm
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:54 pm Those things that PlanetX did were actually very good - don't think they make them any more.
The Gravel Racers? They were made by Vee iirc. I agree they were brill. The Vee version is the Rail iirc.
Turns out I probably need a new pair of tyres, both front and especially rear aren't looking particularly good. I was planning on buying some Vittoria Terreno Dry, but just been told I'm being furloughed next month and quite possibly made redundant the month after (I work for a start-up and we're running out of cash). so spending £90 on a couple of tyres seems a bit much.

If the Planet X Gravel Racers were just re-badged Vee Rail tyres, then they have those in stock for £15.20 each, with their current discount code. As much as I don't want to give them any of my money, £15 an end is most likely too good to pass on...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
whonickedmename

Post by whonickedmename »

I was quite happy running 42c WTB Resolutes but have now gone a bit wider with 50c Schwalbe G-One Ultrabites - more like 45c in reality... :lol:
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I've been running 42c resolutes for the wet and not been out enough in the dry weather to think what I'd change them to.
Thisisnotaspoon

Post by Thisisnotaspoon »

Vittoria tereno Wet 40c. Haven't tried the mix/dry/zero but the wet is pretty quick rolling.

Smart Sam 35c on the back because Im a cheapskate.