Houston... the miney has leeeeeft the building

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Houston... the miney has leeeeeft the building

Post by redefined_cycles »

Hi all. Bear with me as my dyslexia has always meant (organisational difficulties) that I'm not very good at, well, organisational stuff. Hence why sometimes my posts are all over the place.

Opened up a new thread to explain where yer moneys gone/going and whats been happening with 'kit' and ordering of it.

We raised about £2000 of which some was from my selling off of stuff (but it wasn't too much) and that I will isolate and use on my own respirator. My own respirator will be purchased seperately and its off fleabay and with a much higher price than it would have been just a month ago. I'll try and expalain that shortly and also I will be sending the accounts (just screenshots off my paypal) to Stu for transparency sake.

So, I first put in an order of 3 kits from an online PPE place and then ordered another 2. These were the 3m Scott DURAsomethings (this for myself, self funded, https://www.prosafetyservices.co.uk/sho ... espirator/ and 4 of its cheaper cousin the fh2 if I recall correctly). So an order of 5 was made as well as some spare hoods and filters.

To cut a long story short, after much discussion with the nice man at that place I learnt there's an emergency situation worldwide of PPE and especially the respirators. A backlog of 180000 powered respirators at 3m etc etc etc. After a week of hoping that I might get a confirmation that I'd get our units in such and such week, I got the email that they didn't know anything about anything and I wasn't eligible to order anyway as I wasn't a business. In case anyone wonders I did explain my/our situation and where I work.

It was a blessing anyway as I've since decided and learnt that them units are not feasable (4 filter changes per unit per shift as they take 2 viral filters). The filter issue we will probably notice that on the unit at some point and I'm glad I'm not the one trying to source them from outside. So after speaking to the place I helped (thats what I class it as even though I did get paid, it was a 5 hour round trip and only 5 hours of actual work) out at yesterday. Where I actually purposefully took the shift cos they were/are well ahead of anywhere I've been in terms of breathing gear, so inadvertently you could call it a research shift, I learnt morw about their units.

What they (outskirts of Birmigham) are using is the 3m Versaflo and they've been told by the reps that the filters should last the duration of 'a pandemic'. Speaking to another person (the semi senior doctor) he told me they'd been told a filter lasts 6 months....

Came home and did some ressearch (obviously they are also on backorder and I assume part of that 180000 back order figure I mentioend above) and Toolstation showed as being in stock. Around £650 per kit but without the hoods so I put in an order of £1800ish yesterday from The Funds with another £900 anticipated for hoods (current higher prices due to supply demand issue). Bottom line from that order (which I chased up today) os that there was a mistake on their systems and it shouldn't really have allowed me to make the order. Thankfully someone answered the phone and the payment has been reversed (pending now to my account).

To give an idea of how much the above full units, inclusive of helmet etc, have gone up by. Actual shop full price brandnew is roughly £950 invlusive of vat. However the supply/demand issue means that shortly I'll be purchasing my own used device for £1200 :shock:

This is the unit that I'm talkig about https://www.dustmasksdirect.co.uk/produ ... respirator in case anyone did want to donate something to their hospitals (but please dont just buy and five as you'd not want it to sit around gathering dust... they're not all managed as well as ours and Lukes and I hope noone finds that offensive).

Its not all bad news as I have secured one BB respirator from fleabay. For the handsome price of 174£(ish) and with 2 batteries. No charger and the service date states 2017 but I'm sure our relevant depts will sort that out.

Other than that, cos I see no point in holding on to the rest of the BB funds I will jsut be arenaging to tranfer the remainder straight to our ICU and getting one of the seniors to link Stu into a twitter statement of the BB donations and amounts :-bd

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114175298159

Accounts sending to Stu still pending after I get chance to count up properly :smile:
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
redefined_cycles

Re: Respiratory Fundraiser The Yield

3 things I forgot to mention.

1. By giving the money straight to the unit it means they can hopefully claim back the vat on the units of which I will suggest that ots what we roased the money for. Potentially they should be able to get almost 3 full units/kits from the fund.

2. There is another fleabay respirator located down at this place and this is the device itself. Seems to be brandnew and I might bid on it. Only problem is that it seems the seller won't post (I've hinted at it and explained the situation I think) and I'm too knackered to do a drive down just to collect! For £100 to £200 though I would give it a punt if I knew there waa someoje local who'd be able to post it on.

3. The Stooge Ti still stands and I shall indedd forward them funds on or, who knows, the 3m versaflos might be avaiable by then!

Feel free to ask any questions anyone and I do hope it was comprehensive and...

4last but not least... Thanks so so much to everyone but especially MacinBlack for setting up that there thread
macinblack

Post by macinblack »

Hello Shaf,

I guess it's no surprise the hoops you are having to jump through in the current climate. I bet you could do with a rest now :smile:

Where's the ebay one located? I'm sure someone will live local enough to help.

I think routing the acquisition through work makes sense, and seeing that this situation isn't going away anytime soon, I'm sure the kit will get plenty of use.

Thanks for your efforts with getting the equipment but more importantly for what you are doing on your day-job :-bd.
redefined_cycles

Final numbers...

£2062.24 including an offline local donation as well as a few from the lads that got wind of it at Brother on Bikes CC.

Minus £189 for the one respirator I managed to get off ebay.

Total to get transferred on to Elaine Hunter and the team at York ICU so they can invest in the breathers in due course with hopefully a decent discount, stands at £1873.24

The other ebay respirator is at Rochford and its a Cash on Collection thing. Makes me inclined to just stay away due to the CV issue and not being able to test it (well I wouldn't until properly wiping it down) before handing over charity cash!.... Besides it makes more sense to give more to the ICU so they can invest better when 3m do finally start getting rheir gear out to the world...
redefined_cycles

NB. Numbers ans screenshots sent to Stu in the iterests of transparency and I wouldn't see why he could share privately if needed. But I'll leave that to him as he's better at making such decisions and thinking these things through properly...

Ta all...
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

That’s a fantastic amount :-bd We’re not a bad bunch at times :lol:

Well done to you for working so hard and nice one to Mac for bringing this to to our attention :grin:

I’m totally easy going on where the money needs to go and I certainly don’t need any transparency on the funds etc,
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Just an idea but if you donate this to a charity Shaf they can claim gift aid from you personally and it adds 20% to the total.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
redefined_cycles

Dave Barter wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:24 am Just an idea but if you donate this to a charity Shaf they can claim gift aid from you personally and it adds 20% to the total.
Thats a good idea Dave and I could probably manage to do that with one of the local charities. But then it gets slightly complex in the 'lying' dept as I'd have to tick the box stating 'this is my own money' :smile: ... Hopefully once the ICU have it and upon their purchases (which one woukd have thought some companies might not rip em off in current climate and I have high hopes of 3M) when they get discount as well as tax relief, it will have amplified our dosh a little bit anyway...

Going to drop the one respirator off just now (with some coOp cakes from my cycling budget :-bd* )... Haven't ridden one of them things in almost 2 weeks but gonna make an effort on weekend to do a nice loop :smile: on Stan
redefined_cycles

Re: Houston... the miney has leeeeeft the building

In pictures....

Some of these pics will self destruct at some point in the coming days. But here it is and I shall chase em up to ensure it gets to our ICU (have already left a phone message on their system at York charities)...

Ta again and just so you know, when I told me manager how much we'd raised it seemed she was at a loss for words. Well done...

and Dave... Yes indeed I did click GA as there wss no subsequent box asking me to sign away any truthfulity (yes.. it'll make its way to the Collins Concise in due course) :-bd (usually there pops up a box asking you to confirm 'this is all my dosh' etc etc) :smile:
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redefined_cycles

Dave Barter wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:24 am Just an idea but if you donate this to a charity Shaf they can claim gift aid from you personally and it adds 20% to the total.
:-bd
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:19 am
Good man and what you are doing is completely above board as we gave you the money, it's yours to donate and rightfully claim the gift aid
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
redefined_cycles

Dave Barter wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:21 am
redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:19 am
Good man and what you are doing is completely above board as we gave you the money, it's yours to donate and rightfully claim the gift aid
Thats a good point Dave :-bd ...
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Great news Shaf, thanks for sharing. I expect to have the Stooge Ti back up for auction next week, as a local frame builder (Five Land Bikes) is removing and fully replacing the weld. It will be a seamless job - in his words it won’t even look like a repair has been carried out.

Helpfully they’re also providing a box to post it!
redefined_cycles

Thats ace... If only my manager knew what a Ti Stooge is. I've tried explaining certain things before (,briefly) but its all a bit much for her. Will just tell her that its a sought after frame that was loved alot and moved on for the benefit of the unit/patients.

Thanks very much indeed Alasdair and everyone else. Seems its super easy to donate to our hospital (York Teaching hospitals website and the donate link) so thats really helpful :-bd
gairym

Post by gairym »

A lovely, shiny nugget of fluffy niceness in this giant crap biscuit of a situation - thanks for sorting this all out!