F10 Project Hydrogen Tent - tempted?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Richpips

F10 Project Hydrogen Tent - tempted?

Post by Richpips »

I've lost count of the number of 1 person shelters that Tom and own or have owned.

I've always loved the space and stability of the F10 Helium series though at a relatively weighty 1200 gms.

I'm more than a little excited by the coming soon F10 project Helium https://www.vango.co.uk/gb/camping-equi ... rogen.html.

I've a Lofoten that is a similar weight, but nowhere near as spacious.

What say you?
Bearbonesnorm

Re: F10 Project Hydrogen Tent - tempted?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm not sure many folk could be trusted with a 7d outer and 10d groundsheet :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I say £600??? :lol:

F10 Helium UL 1 is less than half that
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

F10 Helium UL 1 is less than half that

Half the price, twice the weight.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

I'm not sure many folk could be trusted with a 7d outer and 10d groundsheet
Yep true the Lofoten uses similar. You definitely wouldn't want anything spiky to touch it.
Captain Fizz

Post by Captain Fizz »

Would be good to see one in the flesh, certainly looks the part.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I never understood why vango dropped the pro carbon helium (950 gs with useless Ti pins, 1000g with proper pegs) and went back to the aluminium pole version at nearly 1200gs.

Price aside this thing looks OK but will suffer from the same faults as my pro carbon helium - really bad for condensation and impossible to get into in the rain without taking the rain in with you. Its also a bit like sleeping in a coffin! I did like the times I spent in mine but when I got the deshutes I've never looked back; it being better in every respect.

I suspect a dyneema cuben fibre deschutes type of thing would be lighter than this vango.
slarge

Post by slarge »

It seems to me like the TN Laserlite is still the tent of choice. Picked mine up 13 years ago and still not much catches it weight wise (for the money). I think it's 950grams or something for a twin skin tent that's spacious for 1.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I've lost count of the number of 1 person shelters that Tom and own or have owned.
In that case dibs on this when you sell it :wink:

It does not look that much bigger than stealth but i bet its easier to get into
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Although it didn’t survive 70mph+ winds I’d still highly recommend the Nordisk Telemark, under 1kg and just about big enough to sleep two.

The airbeam sounds fun, imagine how fast you could pitch it with CO2 :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

So I pushed the button and it arrived today.

Initial thoughts. Very similar in layout to the Helium series which we both really do like. They shed wind well and don't mind changes in wind direction.

The Ti pegs that come with will immediately need replacing. Weight as delivered 740 gms, so it'll be nearer 800 gms all in.

The stuff sack doubles as a pump for the airbeam which will need topping up with a schrader pump. The recommended PSI is 6. Who carries a pump that accurately measures that? I phoned Vango. Apparently as soon as the airbeam feels it has structure, then that is enough. On a trip I'd probably just use a bike pump.

Some good news is that unlike the Lofoten we have is that I at 5'10" can comfortably sit up in it. It is long once I laid down, I reckon good for well over 6'.

There's some weird stuff going on to tie the external door back which I've not got to the bottom of yet.

Any questions, please ask.

benp1

Post by benp1 »

Looks good Rich. Would be interesting to see how you get on with it

Off topic, but have had you attached the points to the floor?
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Off topic, but have had you attached the points to the floor?
Some picture hook nails. ;)
FLV

Post by FLV »

Looks pretty nice that rich.
UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

Might be squeeze trying to get that bed in
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Might be squeeze trying to get that bed in
Yep, will have to wait for the 2 person version.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

I am tempted, but not camping enough at the moment to justify it! The older I get, the more I like a nice bed in the evening...!
htrider wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:31 pm Price aside this thing looks OK but will suffer from the same faults as my pro carbon helium - really bad for condensation and impossible to get into in the rain without taking the rain in with you. Its also a bit like sleeping in a coffin! I did like the times I spent in mine but when I got the deshutes I've never looked back; it being better in every respect.

I suspect a dyneema cuben fibre deschutes type of thing would be lighter than this vango.
Phil, are the problems you mention not applicable to all small tents? How is the Deschutes any better? Do you have the bathtub/mesh inner for it?
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

It requires a pump and it has a Schrader valve.
Hmmm try an airshot see how quickly you can put it up. :lol: :shock:
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:32 am I am tempted, but not camping enough at the moment to justify it! The older I get, the more I like a nice bed in the evening...!
htrider wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:31 pm Price aside this thing looks OK but will suffer from the same faults as my pro carbon helium - really bad for condensation and impossible to get into in the rain without taking the rain in with you. Its also a bit like sleeping in a coffin! I did like the times I spent in mine but when I got the deshutes I've never looked back; it being better in every respect.

Phil, are the problems you mention not applicable to all small tents? How is the Deschutes any better? Do you have the bathtub/mesh inner for it?
My mates terranova version (forget the name) was a bit better as you could open up either end for better ventilation but yeah he still moaned about it. The deschutes is way better just 'cause its much more open (and therefore more drafty to be fair) with or without the mesh inner. Usually has to be typical condensation weather i.e. cool, damp and still for it to get damp inside whereas the helium would be damp unless it was pitched in a stiff dry wind.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

I must have spent over 60 nights in varies Heliums, and I've never noticed much condensation.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Richpips wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:59 pm I must have spent over 60 nights in varies Heliums, and I've never noticed much condensation.
Must always be sunny and breezy when you camp Rich!
It was never a problem as the inner was fairly damp proof and it dried quick so only a real problem if you were leaving early.....