Who’s appreciating riding their bike?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

benp1

Re: Who’s appreciating riding their bike?

Post by benp1 »

I'm riding far less than before, but I'm doing more 'fun' rides that before

I had more 'me' time pre lockdown, as I would ride to work and back. That gave me around 2 hours to myself and on the bike each day. Now I'm home I get much better family time, but it's also much harder to do any riding because there are 3 kids at home!

BUT, I'm getting out 2-3 times a week for local rides. So far all on my MTB so all fun rather than commuting. Sometimes a bit harder or more climbing, sometimes just a pootle (like last night). I'm also looking for the new trails and paths that I haven't been on before, just because I can.
ton

Post by ton »

i struggle a bit from time to time with terrible mood swings and bouts of anger/guilt.
if i did not have my bike to ride to get away from people, even loved ones i would not be a nice bloke to live with.

so this for me is more of a mental wellbeing thing than a exercise thing. i ride daily all the time, so not riding any more really. but it is keeping me happy and well. and my wife will agree with this too.

keep well and happy people. :-bd
Boab

Post by Boab »

Really appreciating getting out for some fresh air, wither it's on the bike on my own, or a walk with my wife and the kids. Have stopped the long weekend rides, but am still doing the early morning pre-work loops that I was doing before. Missing the commutes though, as they were a chance to get some long rides in during the week. Plenty of time for that in the future though.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

Certainly appreciating my daily exercise. Week 3 of WFH and I think I may have finally got used to it.

I try to do something different every day with my ride. Sometimes I even use my road bike (Croix De Fer with 33c tyres, so not too roadie)! :lol:

All rides are short and very local. Still find it a struggle to get out of the door after work some days. Sitting on my arse all day in front of a screen does seem to drain my mojo.

I mix it up a bit by riding at different times of the day... Sometimes before work and sometimes after..

Keep safe, keep well and never stop being kind to each other.

Si
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I dug out an ancient turbo trainer last night and hooked the bike up. Did 35mins earlier. Its crap.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Its crap.
:grin: That's why mine's still in the cellar.
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:08 pm cellar
Now there's a word you don't see often these days, at least not in a domestic context. We've got one too, it's brilliant, almost constant 59F, warm in winter, cool in summer. Yours will have lots of giant spiders and unidentifiable bits of bikes and things in it, but eccentrically ours has our kitchen and dining rooms down there. Why are you not in the least bit surprised. I actually used the word "scullery" the other day but sadly I can't remember why now.
Last edited by RIP on Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

To be fair Reg, mine's under the barn. It appears that out house is one of a very small number of local farmhouses not to have one. I do wonder whether it did once have one but was filled in .... I'll get my shovel.
RIP

Post by RIP »

"local farmhouses" - I've been re-reading my Dylife Mines book again (I can only manage "The Origin Of Life" in small ongoing doses) , and last night got to the bit at the end where he relates the story of Belan. Very interestin'. Dunno if he's got a cellar though. Yep, get yer shovel out tonight....

On further reflection we do have a very wierd house. The stairwell is more than a third of the width of the building, and it's got five landings; bonkers really, but the place isn't big just higgledypiggledy. Constructed in 1875 by some bloke who liked digging sandpits. I reckon he was drunk when he designed it - I think that was the main reason we bought it.

Sorry, back to the bikes.... (I have biked that bridleway past Belan, so it's sort of relevant..)
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I have biked that bridleway past Belan
Nicely looped back in there - almost seamless.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Reasons aside, it's so good to be on the road bike at the moment. I've been riding normally busy roads I usually avoid that are now fast, open swoops, almost car free. No long rides for a while so a short, sharp road ride feels great. Sort of a shame to realise how good some of the local A-roads are. Thought about full-moon rides on a couple of them when all this is over.

Mountain bike rides have been huge fun too. Just been looping around the same area and having the time to ride a trail a few times, finding undulations to work with for free speed on the SS once past spin-out pace, playing the 'front wheel can't touch a root along this bit' game and mostly failing, finding that with a bit more speed on a dry trail and the fatter summer tyres I can get round a corner quick enough to hop the log across the trail just after it, rather than how I've been lumberingly pedal/crank-bashing over it all winter. Fun-finding in the small stuff. Change is good :grin: (reasons aside.. always good to realise how easy it is to forget all the other stresses while I'm on the bike).
jameso

Post by jameso »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:08 pm
Its crap.
:grin: That's why mine's still in the cellar.
Mine's in my neighbour's garage rather than mine :lol: They're gym-goers and were very happy to borrow a trainer and a bike to go on it. They are crap, unless you really want to get fit for something specific. Then they're crap but efficient. It'd take a proper lockdown to get me on mine in the near future.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

jameso wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:31 pm It'd take a proper lockdown to get me on mine in the near future.
Day 6 of 14....
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I have a used turbo trainer under my work bench. Have never used it. If we go into full lock down it'll be getting some use, wondering if I should test it just to see if it actually works OK! Mind you, if it doesn't, you can't buy turbo trainers now anyway, they're all sold out
jameso

Post by jameso »

ScotRoutes wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:37 pm
jameso wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:31 pm It'd take a proper lockdown to get me on mine in the near future.
Day 6 of 14....
Go on, explain, I'm feeling slow :grin:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

jameso wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:55 pm
ScotRoutes wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:37 pm
Day 6 of 14....
Go on, explain, I'm feeling slow :grin:
We are in day 6 of self-isolation as my Missus got some symptoms last Friday (two colleagues also ill now and they've been tested so we might know more on Friday). That means I have to SI for 14 days, assuming I don't get ill in the meantime.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Sorry to hear that. I was being a bit slow, should've realised from the 14 day bit. Best wishes to you both.
Bontyrider

Post by Bontyrider »

I'm missing riding a lot! Having to make do with looking at the bike and dreaming a lot.

Got diagnosed with Covid 19 on March 21st and am still feeling like a bag of old poo.

Time to learn Spanish while planning the world trip.........
FLV

Post by FLV »

Hope you recover in good form mate.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

HIP, HIP, AND INDEED HOORAY!
After 7 weeks of complete lockdown including a ban on cycling of any description, as from Saturday we can go out riding within prescribed times. According to our cycle club, you can ride between 6 and 8am or 7 and 9pm. TBH I've been doing laps of our land for the last couple of weeks, part of the undergrowth clearing has involved cutting a 2km loop with some technical sections up and down the dry stone walls. Managed 8 laps the other day in exactly an hour, takes me back to racing cyclocross, breathing out of my arse sprinting up and down our fields.