Restrap route planning competition

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

techno

Re: Restrap route planning competition

Post by techno »

redefined_cycles wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:00 am I'm not sure but...

Seems like there is competition potential here from the site itself, no??

Is it of the opinion that this (if it was a local BB competition) route should/could just be made for now and ridden later post 'troubles' situation... Or is it a comp where they wnckurage riders to go ride it now?

Just wondering to see if it can be mbade to that (ie. A local comptn :grin: )
They're definitely not encouraging people to go ride now. More to keep motivated for post Coronapocalypse (and marketing :lol: ).
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Roughly 2000 m vert gain in 80 km is very standard here abouts. It's actually what I usually get, once I ride such a distance. I find it's a njice balance of climbing, descending(!) and riding flat bits to relax.

On my last biggish ride (1148 km, 2800 m climbing) I had clocked 2100 m climbing on the first 55 km. All on Strava for those interested.

I just sketched a route, going by the rules

It's my backdoor, but I wouldn't want to ride it. Too much pushing uphill.

This is more of the kind I could possibly imagine riding. When I'd be feeling a bit stubborn:

From where I life the pre-Alps are 20 km away, the highest point being the Brienzer Rothorn at 2350 m with a super fun tech descent.
Within a 80 km bike ride I can get to the rideable Wildgärst with 2890 m (last visit by bike 10.5 years ago with a late mate, but we didn't ride to the base).
In these areas I could fit in 6500 - 7000 m climbing. So the question is, stay close and use the 1400 m hills, or go further, using precious distance but going for the big climbs/drops.
It ends up being roughly the same, so I'm not going to dig further, but this challenge has spawned a few good ideas.

On the Raetic Trail I remember a few segments with little distance but much climbing:
Image 35 km, 2000 m climbing.
All in all it a bit more mellow with 5000 m climbing in 100 km. I deliberately added some extra flat sections.

Once the route choices lie in the main range of the Alps, 8000 - 9000 m could be done. Some of my bikepacking segments actually do see a 1/10 m ratio over more than 20 km.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

I guess the Restrap competition is only for Uk submissions, anyway here's my contribution, 3,164m up and exactly 80km, 100% ridable and doable on a Gravel bike, I'm not a fan of taking my bike for a push.
https://www.wikiloc.com/mountain-biking ... b-48275497
This is the view from the last climb.
techno

Post by techno »

pistonbroke wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:07 pm I guess the Restrap competition is only for Uk submissions, anyway here's my contribution, 3,164m up and exactly 80km, 100% ridable and doable on a Gravel bike, I'm not a fan of taking my bike for a push.
https://www.wikiloc.com/mountain-biking ... b-48275497
This is the view from the last climb.
it's for anywhere in the world with legal trails in place:
"Routes can be from anywhere in the world, and can be on or off-road, but must be routed on set roads or trails."
https://restrap.com/pages/competition

Leaderboard
  • Alpinum 6495
  • pistonbroke 3164m
  • ScotRoutes 2350m
  • = Bearbonesnorm 2089
  • = In Reverse 2089m
  • Whitestone 2008m
  • Techno 1448m :[
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I've just plotted one from my house and I can get 2087m in exactly 50 miles. This is particularly frustrating as it's only 2m less than In Reverse but if I try to move a point to gain a touch more height it goes over the 50 miles.

Actually I've just noticed that it has 2088m of descent so in reverse it's now only 1m less than In Reverse :lol:

Not too bad considering where I live isn't known for it's mountains. It's frustrating as there are more climbs I could use to gain height but they are up the previously used hills and they only have one track along the top so it would fail on the one use rule.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

No point in my trying, the last century I did was only 1800 mtr, the hills are there but a fair distance from me.
On the subject of hills I’ve been using my bike time to try and hit 7500mtr for the month. What do you think the fastest is, short steep hills say 10% or gentle slopes riding faster?
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
techno

Post by techno »

sean_iow wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:48 pm I've just plotted one from my house and I can get 2087m in exactly 50 miles. This is particularly frustrating as it's only 2m less than In Reverse but if I try to move a point to gain a touch more height it goes over the 50 miles.

Actually I've just noticed that it has 2088m of descent so in reverse it's now only 1m less than In Reverse :lol:

Not too bad considering where I live isn't known for it's mountains. It's frustrating as there are more climbs I could use to gain height but they are up the previously used hills and they only have one track along the top so it would fail on the one use rule.
No Sean, that's decent! An amount of climbing I can only dream of :lol:

Max Ascent Leaderboard
  • Alpinum 6495
  • pistonbroke 3164m
  • ScotRoutes 2350m
  • = Bearbonesnorm 2089
  • = In Reverse 2089m
  • Sean_iow 2088
  • Whitestone 2008m
Now, how about a minimum ascent in 80km not using the same section of road twice?I might have a chance in that comp :-bd
min climbing.jpg
(85.53 KiB) Downloaded 1029 times
Min Ascent Leaderboard
  • Techno 34m
Last edited by techno on Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

BigdummySteve wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:59 pm No point in my trying, the last century I did was only 1800 mtr, the hills are there but a fair distance from me.
On the subject of hills I’ve been using my bike time to try and hit 7500mtr for the month. What do you think the fastest is, short steep hills say 10% or gentle slopes riding faster?
Steve... I've been attempting (and sometimes managing) these strava climbing challenges for about 2 years now... By far the mist enjoyable is the shorter sharper ascents. Esepcially if its training as you really need to push yourself to do the next 3 or hours worth of climbing.

Good reminder btw. I might take my Stan to an off road section and do one of them, 'I'm about to have a heart attack' techy climbs over and kver and over again. Should be really ennoyable (and painful)...
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Well I figured that if I’m going out I may as well get some good training out of it. Training is not normally something which enters my universe. Last year with Duncan,s hilly Spanish C2C and my other trips I finished the year with some fitness. Managed to hang on to it through the winter for a change.
I’m not a fast climber being 95Kg so figured using my allowed time climbing might keep a little fitness.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Chew

Post by Chew »

In Reverse wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:52 pm Suspect Chew will do well at this - Calderdale is always somewhere that springs to mind when these things come up.

edit - does this need to be a loop arriving back at the front door?
Challenge accepted :cool:

Only just seen this, but will have a look
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Can I revise my entry? I can actually manage 2145m in 49.1 miles

https://www.strava.com/routes/25198056

Where I went wrong previously is because I know every track, road and bridleway I was automatically using the ones which are rideable or at least not to bad, as I would if I was actually planning a ride. As I don't have to head out and ride this I have now used the climbs which I'd avoid due to the surface being destroyed by horses, vegetation etc.

My advice to anyone coming to the Island post lock-down is not to ride this route :lol:
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

FFS Sean :roll:

I'll return to mine later.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

In Reverse wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:05 pm FFS Sean :roll:

I'll return to mine later.
I knew you'd have to :lol:
techno

Post by techno »

sean_iow wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:57 pm Can I revise my entry? I can actually manage 2145m in 49.1 miles
Done :wink:

Max Ascent Leaderboard
  • Alpinum 6495
  • pistonbroke 3164m
  • ScotRoutes 2350m
  • Sean_iow 2145m
  • = Bearbonesnorm 2089
  • = In Reverse 2089m
  • Whitestone 2008m
Min Ascent Leaderboard
  • Techno 34m
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I've been out and rode the first climb on my route. Three weeks ago it was so muddy that you had to pedal to ride down some of it, it's now bone dry but baked hard with all the ruts and divots still there. Despite this I cleaned it apart from having to put a foot down to open the gates :grin:

This is the first time I've ever managed to do this, so thanks to this thread for the inspiration. My success is partially as its the first time I've tried it on the spearfish (gears and suspension) and partially because when you're only going for local a ride of an hour it doesn't matter how deep you go on the first climb, as long as you stay just below actuall heart attack level :lol:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

sean_iow wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:57 pm I was automatically using the ones which are rideable or at least not to bad, as I would if I was actually planning a ride. As I don't have to head out and ride this I have now used the climbs which I'd avoid due to the surface being destroyed by horses, vegetation etc.
Yeah - the route I have is one we do actually plan to ride. I'm sure I could throw in a couple of additional 4,000ft summits otherwise. :lol:
techno

Post by techno »

sean_iow wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:00 pm I've been out and rode the first climb on my route. Three weeks ago it was so muddy that you had to pedal to ride down some of it, it's now bone dry but baked hard with all the ruts and divots still there. Despite this I cleaned it apart from having to put a foot down to open the gates :grin:

This is the first time I've ever managed to do this, so thanks to this thread for the inspiration. My success is partially as its the first time I've tried it on the spearfish (gears and suspension) and partially because when you're only going for local a ride of an hour it doesn't matter how deep you go on the first climb, as long as you stay just below actuall heart attack level :lol:
:YMAPPLAUSE: nice one Sean! Glad this pointless exercise had a point :lol:
techno

Post by techno »

Chew wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:48 pm Challenge accepted :cool:

Only just seen this, but will have a look
Come on chew. can you beat the alps? :lol:
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Can I revise my entry? I can actually manage 2172m in 79.99km.

https://www.strava.com/routes/25073001

For clarity, I also probably wouldn't choose to ride this route. :lol:
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I spent an hour today on figuring out if I could do this using an algorithm and road data I have. It’s very hard as you can imagine but I’ve managed to create a prototype auto routing service that finds the hilliest route between two points. Think it might be useful to do the reverse.

Making a loop of distance N is much much harder. So I’m out.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
techno

Post by techno »

In Reverse wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:42 am Can I revise my entry? I can actually manage 2172m in 79.99km.

https://www.strava.com/routes/25073001

For clarity, I also probably wouldn't choose to ride this route. :lol:
Done it Andy :wink:

Max Ascent Leaderboard
  • Alpinum 6495
  • pistonbroke 3164m
  • ScotRoutes 2350m
  • In Reverse 2172m
  • Sean_iow 2145m
  • Bearbonesnorm 2089
  • Whitestone 2008m
Min Ascent Leaderboard
  • Techno 34m
techno

Post by techno »

Dave Barter wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:56 pm I spent an hour today on figuring out if I could do this using an algorithm and road data I have. It’s very hard as you can imagine but I’ve managed to create a prototype auto routing service that finds the hilliest route between two points. Think it might be useful to do the reverse.

Making a loop of distance N is much much harder. So I’m out.
It would have been quicker to do it mandraulically Dave :o
stevewaters

Post by stevewaters »

Here's my one to/from our home in Chinley - including lots of popular Dark Peak climbs. - It's also an extension of Andy's route above to give a really big day out or a nice weekender! :-bd
2,688m in total with 70% of the distance off-road:

https://www.strava.com/routes/25286313
Attachments
Capture.JPG
(18.51 KiB) Downloaded 889 times
techno

Post by techno »

stevewaters wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:32 pm Here's my one to/from our home in Chinley - including lots of popular Dark Peak climbs. - It's also an extension of Andy's route above to give a really big day out or a nice weekender! :-bd

Good work Steve. UK leader :-bd

Max Ascent Leaderboard
  • Alpinum 6495
  • pistonbroke 3164m
  • stevewaters 2,688m
  • ScotRoutes 2350m
  • In Reverse 2172m
  • Sean_iow 2145m
  • Bearbonesnorm 2089
  • Whitestone 2008m
Min Ascent Leaderboard
  • Techno 34m
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

stevewaters wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:32 pm Here's my one to/from our home in Chinley - including lots of popular Dark Peak climbs. - It's also an extension of Andy's route above to give a really big day out or a nice weekender! :-bd

Almost feels like it's not in the spirit of the thread because this is genuinely a very nice ride :lol: