Is a full lock-down coming?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Is a full lock-down coming?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Kinda sorry to bring the subject up but .... having seen some footage of peoples antics today and hearing what the goverment have had to say, I can't help feeling that a tightening of the screw is just around the corner.

How do you go about getting a pass-out for shopping? Sounds like a paperwork nightmare.
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

Re: Is a full lock-down coming?

Post by redefined_cycles »

Sorry to say but on Friday I drove about 100 miles for a shift (they couldn't tske me cos they hadn't invested in the apropriate respirators!! flippin.. even though I've still cut my beard down to a stubble but I just failed fit testing* anyway!) and thwre was quite alot of traffic on the roads. Maybe 40 percent of normal for that time of day but definitely uo from previous days.. plus there was alot of Vauxhalls :lol: sorry.

Todays shift (to where i just failed and am having to go help in a and e) there was people trying to shove past me and i noted some (couples) looked like they were either going or coming from their trips away.

In answer to your Q... Not sure Stu. Hope not
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

No cars parked up on Kinder road today which considering the weather today was miraculous.. Didn't see anyone out who I didn't recognise.

Just been to New Mills for a couple of things, roads quiet.

Where are the crowds?
FLV

Post by FLV »

Probably.

But not for everyone.

It will remain forgivable / ignorable for cheif medical whoever's and prince of something to pop off to thier holiday homes if they fancy :roll:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

would be a shame if one or two isolated incidents caused a full lock down *- locally there is next to noone out when you go out even in the parks - though I have not been to the pick park

How its enforced no idea as there is not the police manpower to do it - how many coppers in your neck of the wood ?

* i am not on social media but i bet its not that many incidents out of 60 million but i bet they are spreading at an exponential rates - the ,small number of clips, not the incidents
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

On a good note. 30 minute commute seen that EVERYONE I passed were keeping their distance from each other. It was sad, but good to see.

... Meanwhile in Brighton.
mfezela

Post by mfezela »

Ventured outside into the village today, first time in over a week. Rode 1km to local supermarket for basic supplies.
Returning home, Plod (who knows me by sight) stopped to ask "What you doing?" I would have thought the supermarket branded carrier bag was a give away ;-)
Last edited by mfezela on Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chew

Post by Chew »

I doubt the Government have the resources to police it, so I hope its more of a PR exercise to say that people arnt fully following things, and then letting peer pressure to do the rest.

99% of people will be following things its just the 1% who probably arnt.
Up here its fairly quiet, and whenever I go out it always feels like 8am on a Sunday morning.

I imagine to story may be different in more densely populated areas.

Think in France you have to fill out a form to say why your are out of the house.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Where are the crowds?
From what I could tell, mainly large urban areas and mainly down south.
How its enforced no idea as there is not the police manpower to do it - how many coppers in your neck of the wood ?
No more than a couple really and the area they cover is massive - although, usually very, very quiet.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

As usual the media will play on any small infringement in the drive to sell clicks. On the whole, folk have been behaving.
Gregsie

Post by Gregsie »

More cyclists than cars out this morning on the edge of the Peak. Main road from Chesterfield (and the M1) was eerily quiet.

A few cars parked up in remote woodland spots popular with dog walkers (or could it be doggers).

Just seen on Twitter that Matlock Bath was deserted so maybe the message is getting through with the chip eaters.

Still seeing a few folks on my Strava feed that are knocking out 70 -100km a day. Sure they weren't doing that when they were in gainful employment. :roll:
Powered by crumpets.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

It's not really a paperwork nightmare, here in Spain we've had lockdown for about 2 weeks. The government has generated a form which you print and fill in with a tick box detailling the purpose of your journey. There are small number of reasons to be out, buying food, fuel or pharmaceuticals, going to essential work, going to the doctors or hospital. That's it, the policing is very strict and your identity can be corroborated as carrying an identity card and driving licence is compulsory anyway. There's talk of banning multiple visits for shopping as people are used to going for bread on a daily basis, it's part of the dna. I filled the car up on the first day of the State of Alarm 3 weeks ago and it's still showing over 3/4 of a tank. Our lockdown has just been extended until the 26th of April but many are suggesting it could be in place until July.
Gari

Post by Gari »

In fairness, he admits himself on the news this afternoon that it is the very small minority.
Rather than threaten to ban us all from going outside, he should be ensuring those that are caught flouting the current rules should be fined as threatened. The obvious extension of that thought is, if he’s not enforcing now, will/can they enforce the new rules?
Seems a little unfair to say the least.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Chew wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:49 pm I doubt the Government have the resources to police it
There's 30 members of the Scotts Guard on the Island setting up the field hospital and temporary morgue. Once they're finished that they'll have plenty of time to help enforce any tightened lock-down.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Gari

Post by Gari »

Slippery slope that!
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north- ... n-18046244

Fucking hell, they’re knocking down an indoor skate park to make way for a hospital. Feel really sad about this :cry: There’s lot of empty schools at the moment that could be used, a high school across the road if I remember correctly. Plenty of warehouses that way to with ‘to let’ signs constantly outside, but the council decide to screw the children. What will they have once this is all over?

Just feels so wrong

In case an needs clarity, I think there were other options for a hospital than destroying the local leisure centre. I’m not saying a hospital isn’t a worthy course
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Well Scotlands chief medical officer got booked for travelling to her holiday home in Earlsferry, East Fife. A week ago she went on record saying that we should figure on 13 weeks of lockdown and that people ignoring the rules would cause that time frame to be extended....

Do as I say, not as I do.

Super quiet round here - still a few cars on the roads. I had two hours outside cutting my neighbours lawns so feeling quite refreshed
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Gari wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:25 pm Slippery slope that!
It is, and I'm not condoning it. But people on social media have commented that there's hardly any police on the Island and so any further restrictions won't come because they can't enforce it etc.

There are also another 30+ reservists here as well so that's a force of 60+ available.

They will also have other roles, collecting bodies from households if the hospital is full and people are left in their own homes, delivering food etc.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

they'll have plenty of time to help enforce any tightened lock-down.
30 people - could they even lock down the island ?
In my town 70,000 ish that is just about enough to block and patrol all the routes in and out but not enough to do anything internally re movements

Its the same everywhere surely and rural areas there is just to much area and not enough plod or army to even make it worthwhile trying

I suspect they dont want to ban it as they know its not enforceable -lets just hope it was a warning shot and it has been heeded
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

The m6 round here the first week was really quiet I could get down to junction 1 in around 40 mins normally it’s a hour and half , but last week it definitely wasn’t essential travel only , still quiet but more like school holidays quiet , there must be something in the wind as we keep getting new travel docs off the companies we supply mechanical services to in case we get stopped
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Did anyone watch that program "Hunted" I'll happily play that round here. :lol:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Lazarus wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:50 pm
they'll have plenty of time to help enforce any tightened lock-down.
30 people - could they even lock down the island ?
Easily, not everyone is going to go out and break the rules at the same time so they only have to fine/detain those who do. Once people realise that there are consequences most will stop. That just leaves those who think the rules don't apply to them. Troops with rifles sends a strong message if required.

For anyone who thinks that will never happen it's the UK etc etc, I never thought there be refrigerated shipping containers in the hospital car park to store bodies in :sad:
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I think the Mayor of Bergamo brought his daughters back to Italy to be locked down there with him because he felt the UK was a more dangerous place with that x% of people sunbathing, going to the beach, driving their cars to go different places to do their exercise.

I was sitting on the wall talking to my lonely mum the other day after dropping stuff around - I had to move out of the way of people who wanted to walk right past me.... the mind boggles.
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Suppose it all depends on what the be!!ends are doing in Londons parks despite what goes on around the country. North Wales police have put on social media that they've turned back a few few folk who: 1) Birkinhead lads who were riding uninsured motorbikes in Snowdonia, 2)Two blokes windsurfing at Black Rock Sands (from the Midlands) 3) Driver of a Porsche from Shropshire went out for a spin around Bala. I've heard from a few that Rhosneiger (Anglesey) has seen the pompus rich tw@ts turn up to their holiday homes too!
It'll be the best way forward imo to stop us for a bit....
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 4

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I feared the worst for this weekend but it was really quiet this evening as I drove in for night shift so I was hopeful that people were behaving themselves. Unfortunately it seems that not all were though judging by the news on TV. I don't have any inside info but I can make a semi educated guess that if things are tightened up you probably won't see many (if any) road blocks. As people correctly mentioned there aren't enough cops for that. I think a more likely scenario is that the cops that are out will just be stopping people and talking to them to find out why they're out and about. If it seems like you're taking the piss or ignoring advice the fixed penalty will be coming your way, if you're genuine it's just a chat.
So far I've been quite impressed by how restrained the politicians have been, they seem to genuinely want people to make the right decision themselves and with that in mind (plus the obvious fact that there aren't unlimited police resources) I suspect that any further tightening up is likely to be quite subtle and just designed to further reinforce the message. I think we're a long way from having the army with guns on the streets anyway.