Choosing grips on flatbars (and bar ends?)

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

oreocereus

Choosing grips on flatbars (and bar ends?)

Post by oreocereus »

All bikes I've purchased myself in adulthood (2! I used to ride my Dad's 90s Ti Raleigh in uni, but since moved to this side of the world) have been co-op bangers. I replaced parts that needed replacing, but if the seat didn't hurt, the casette had life in it, I just used them as is for thousands of kms.

With all the excess project time at the moment, I'm tinkering with my current bike a bit more. Most of it is in good enough shape (I have plans to convert the drivetrain, but for now those components are functional, and should have a couple of years left in them..) - but the saddle and grips need replacing.

Having always just used what I had, how does one decide what makes one set of grips £70 and another $7? What sets them apart? What do I look for (other than the right handlebar size and a colour I like :roll: )?

I use gloves on any long rides, so i'm unsure just how much care to really give grips.. but looking at the hundreds of options online I start to feel as if I'm being a bit simplistic in my approach to grips

And, my current bar ends annoy me for being a bit thin, and really cold (even with gloves) - should I look into taping them, or will forcing grips on work there too?
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Choosing grips on flatbars (and bar ends?)

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I think grips are like saddles in as much as what works for someone might not work for you. I've got fairly small hands, so thickness / size tends to be something I always think about first. I don't like lock-on grips as I find the clamps can become cold in winter. I also tend to ride / climb with my palms resting on the outside of the grip so usually look for something with a 'sealed end'.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Very much a personal choice.

I found out that I was really more comfortable with a slightly swept bar and that Ergon GE1s add a couple of degrees of added sweep so have almost standardised on those.

I've just refitted some barends to 9ne of my bikes and remembered that I really liked them. They are Cane Creek Ergos and are rubber coated.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I dont understand why folk care so much about the tube of standard size with a something not quite as hard as the metal [ or carbon] bar covering it.
I have used all sorts and i could hold on to them all and not really sure what can go wrong - foam and har spray is the lightest

I like ergo grips personally - though not on the SS as you cannot grip for thrutching uphill with ergo grips[ the chinese ebay set are clearly inferior but seem to be lasting as the price of ergo ones now is trully shocking]

Price wise i doubt there is anything worth paying for
I think I am more like you [less fussy different saddle on all 7 bikes etc]in that i once bought a bike and just did a 200 miler on it without bothering to do much more than go yes fit is fine - think i swapped the stem from 120 to 90 mm iirc [ road bike mind]
i know folk who would still be messing around with reach and saddles and bar angles and other "fit" to make it perfect

Bar ends I have used all sorts from cheap to also cheap - not sure what to say if it long enough for your hand to grip it then its good enough the ones on the SS are proper retro jobbies ! I have used straight and angled and right now could not say what is currently on the SS or the Genesis without looking
YMMV
techno

Post by techno »

I like ODI longneck. Cheap, comfy, don't slip.
And come in loads of colours
oreocereus

Post by oreocereus »

Cheers folks. Aimed for something seemingly suitable for my hand size, had positive reviews online and was only a tenner (and mentioned consistently in these kinds of threads that I dug up on other forums) - some of the ODI longnecks. Cheers gang