closing national parks, and imposing fines?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RIP

Re: closing national parks, and imposing fines?

Post by RIP »

ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:12 pm is that a June BAM? In fact, do I even have to nap?
Well surely you've got to have some period of unconsciousness for it to count? But what's a "sleep" and what's a "nap"?

Oo-er, I wish I hadn't started this now. I can feel the whole up-to-now rock-solid fabric of BaM teetering on the brink and about to crash to the ground in a massive tangle of bikes, tarps, mats, stoves and porridge.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Burn the Heretic!!
RIP

Post by RIP »

Ooohhhh my head. Now I'm flapping about what "sunrise" and "sunset" mean because they are fairly critical to what "night-time" is defined as. And without a watertight definition of night-time, quite obviously nobody can tell us to be "home before night-time" and therefore we're free to do what the hell we like.

The problem here is the sun does not rise! It may well have done before Copernicus, but now we've proved that it obviously stays where it is (*) and the earth orbits around it. I'm not quite sure what the correct terra-centric term is. Doesn't matter, "night-time" is undefined and we can crack on.

(*) well even that's not true of course.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Actually Reg there's one sunset but three twilights: civil, nautical and astronomical each terminated by their own dusk, civil dusk, etc. Night only begins after astronomical dusk. (Sounds like something from His Dark Materials!).

Currently here near Skipton the evening period of astronomical twilight merges directly with the morning period of astronomical twilight so technically there is no "night"!
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Does this mean that I've never actually managed a full year of BAMs at all then? I'll have to hand in my badge.
RIP

Post by RIP »

I really wish you hadn't brought that up Bob (actually it was an interesting factoid). Yes it's also complicated by where you're located. If you're on Unst on midsummer's day does the sun even disappear at all? It must do, I've forgotten the latitude above which it doesn't.

Maybe Moder-dye is in the clear because the sun doesn't set therefore there is no night-time that he has to be back before?

Then again if he has no night-time would he be able to tick a June BaM because he can't do a 'night' out?

Good grief it's not even Friday.
Last edited by RIP on Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RIP

Post by RIP »

whitestone wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:40 pm astronomical dusk. (Sounds like something from His Dark Materials!)
I reckon it'd be a good name for a very expensive 'gentleman's fragrance' particularly suitable for bikepackers.

belugabob

Post by belugabob »

..and, to really confuse matters further, you can't feed your gremlins after midnight (astronomical, civil or otherwise)
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

RIP wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:28 pm Ooohhhh my head. Now I'm flapping about what "sunrise" and "sunset" mean because they are fairly critical to what "night-time" is defined as.
Perhaps it’s that time of the evening when a gentleman can move onto the decanter without raising an eyebrow?

I once spent midsummer eve on almost the most northerly point of Dunnet Head, obviously I’d previously been to Duncansby Head, a proper end to ender rolls his eyes at John O’groats nonsense. I digress, being that far north it was only dark for a matter of a couple of hours, sadly and perhaps surprisingly the equipment of my dummy didn’t stretch to a decanter so I’m unable to shed any more....err light.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
RIP

Post by RIP »

BigdummySteve wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:35 pm Perhaps it’s that time of the evening when a gentleman can move onto the decanter (*) without raising an eyebrow?
Thank gawd for that HOTT. Everything is now crystal clear!

(*) margarita? :wink:

stevewaters

Post by stevewaters »

I'm chuckling imagining trying to explain the nuances of astronomical dusk to a zealous Derbyshire copper and what their reaction might be !
RIP

Post by RIP »

'Tek thissen 'om yoth' springs to mind :grin: .