Shaf's respirator appeal.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Re: Shaf's respirator appeal.

Post by redefined_cycles »

Cyclepeasant wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:08 am Re 99% and drain.
Would like to donate if possible too.
Not having a PayPal account,does anyone know if it is possible to donate with a debit/ credit card?
RC, I admire your integrity!
PM me and I shall get my halifax details sent across :-bd

On another note, the money including this mornings donations has gone to £1040 (give or take a 100 or so pennies). It'll ease my burden when paying the above invoice and after that, Cyclepeasants donation will start a new cycle (hope that makes sense)...

Screenshot of my paypal sent to Stuart so i can tick the transparency box... love you guys/girls....
Moff

Post by Moff »

Sent a bit of cash too
redefined_cycles

Moff wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:06 am Sent a bit of cash too
Moff... are you Tim yeah?? Happy to report that your donation (kindly recieved) will start the next batch of respirator (or more importantly a spare battery or 2)...

Will keep this topic open and keep buying as and when appropriate but will endeavour to give an update once or twice per week... :smile: :sad:

Edit:£1041.06 total before Moffs payment. Have just transferred it to the account I'll be making payment from (for the above screenshot invoice)...
drain

Post by drain »

Ta muchly, Shaf. Will lob some via PayPal ASAP. Could also be some coming from a mate who I’ve pointed at your fundraiser 👍🏻
jameso

Post by jameso »

Late on this, moving fast here! What's the plan now, still open to donations right?
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Oh no, I've only just seen this amazing thread. Hopefully not too late to contribute? :roll:
PS, done. :-bd
redefined_cycles

jameso wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:33 pm Late on this, moving fast here! What's the plan now, still open to donations right?
Yup... lets just keep it open whilst funds are still trickling through and I shall see whats availablr whrn we have enough dosh for the next device God Willing... thanks Jameso and everyone else. Its all very amazing and everyone will get their payback in some way shape or form (I'm confident of it)...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Shaf has indeed forwarded me his account summary and I can clarify all is present and correct ... obviously it was never in doubt anyway but just thought I'd say as it'll make Shaf happier.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Another late donation here. Hope you can still make use of it
redefined_cycles

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:42 pm Shaf has indeed forwarded me his account summary and I can clarify all is present and correct ... obviously it was never in doubt anyway but just thought I'd say as it'll make Shaf happier.
I was wondering whether you'd get chance to update and now you've done so it really does make me feel much better. I think I have a strategy to raise enough for another 2 respirators in a few split seconds btw... watch this forum :-bd
redefined_cycles

Charliecres wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:49 pm Another late donation here. Hope you can still make use of it
Yup... i have reset the balance (last was 970ish from here and another 220 from my buddy in cash) and will update how far into yhe next respirator we already are in. Update coming tonight as currently in a sleepy hospital waiting Covid patients :smile: (not my normal hospital btw... thats far from sleepy and all the staff and seniors are top notch and none are sleepy)

edit: but more as a note to myself so I dont lose track of accounts... yesterdays total was actually £970 plus what Slarge/Weldon and Belson sent meaning its £970+ £70 to the nearest pound glad to also report that (I reset my paypal to 0 by transferring their cash over to where payment will be made from my bank account) todays new total is actually £272.37 so well on our way to the next respirator to donate to the unit
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

We need to see pictures of our Bonerdoner respirators in a new Breather-a-month thread
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
redefined_cycles

Dave Barter wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:19 pm We need to see pictures of our Bonerdoner respirators in a new Breather-a-month thread
Am on it... gonna somehow get some pics (planning to write on the head unit backs/tops) of the staff wearing them with the message on.

Provisional thought is:

Kindly provided by BearbonesBikepacking(.co.uk) on the one side and please treat like your own & observe rule #1

Feel free to help edit that message. Less words is mire basically and it'll probably get done in not too thick wording so the wearer knows it and anyone that walks closeby...
redefined_cycles

Dave Barter wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:19 pm Breather-a-month thread
that might lead me sloely to getting into trouble as the boundaries can slowly get intermingled etc... byt eill show thr pics on here and of the staff in the 'donning' corridor with the gear on :-bd
jameso

Post by jameso »

todays new total is actually £272.37 so well on our way to the next respirator to donate to the unit
:-bd Great work Shaf. Donated, hope you get to the next one soon :-bd
macinblack

Post by macinblack »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:54 pm
Dave Barter wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:19 pm Breather-a-month thread
that might lead me sloely to getting into trouble as the boundaries can slowly get intermingled etc... byt eill show thr pics on here and of the staff in the 'donning' corridor with the gear on :-bd
I think if you can get a volunteer to wear the kit in "candid" fashion, there are probably quite a few people out there with a "niche interest" that would pay you good money for a photo, particularly if you include a used swab.

Probably be able to kit out a few hospitals on the predilections of a few High Court judges, MPs and submariners. :wink:
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Done. A pleasure to donate to such a worthy cause
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
redefined_cycles

Quote not working
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redefined_cycles

JimmyG wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:52 pm Done. A pleasure to donate to such a worthy cause
I can state that we are at about the £330 mark.

It seems wierd but the hospital I went to (I cant stand stupid people... sorry... they didn't have a single respirator and their own staff that were failing fit testing were being made to work in 'other roles') hadn't invested in a single respirator and asked me if 'I'd brought my own!!'. Sometimes you wonder whther they live under a rock. Our ward has been planning for this since January (albeit with some sarcasm from the staff that we're overreacting) and we have upped the amount of respirators we had from about 5 to around 15 at the present time (without the bearbones gear)...

Sorry for the rant... 'have you brought your own personal protective equipment' stupid friggin ...
gairym

Post by gairym »

Is it not possible to fit Spot trackers to each unit to compare mileages and average speeds etc... over time???

BB sweepstake on the units to raise additional cash?

Ok, I'll stop.....
redefined_cycles

:lol:
gairym wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:28 pm Is it not possible to fit Spot trackers to each unit to compare mileages and average speeds etc... over time???

BB sweepstake on the units to raise additional cash?

Ok, I'll stop.....
Roobell7

Post by Roobell7 »

Another late donation from my lockdown location in Ghana
burty

Post by burty »

just donated here :-bd
HopeValleyPaul

Post by HopeValleyPaul »

Hiya Shaf,

Great work team bearbones.
Can I ask, does your unit have a written policy on decontaminating the powered respirators? Would you be able to share it?
I ask as I normally wear a powered respirator but our trust have decided that we cannot wear them for Covid-19 patients as they argue that there is no clear/safe way to doff them after use.
Edit*it could be the ones that we use (dragger).
I’ve had to shave my beard off and wear standard ffp3 mask which is making my face change shape.

Anyhow. Great work And stay safe
Paul.
redefined_cycles

Hya Paul... Thats a good point about a written policy. I'm not sure, but I just follow the Public Health England poster on donning/doffing which basically states that everything on the outside is dirty and inside is clean (obviously I clean the respirator from the inside but that can be done once I'm fully doffed).

Regards the beard thing: I've done similar (as there was a religious verdict that came out from one of the senior uk islamic scholars that saving life is more pleasing to God than keeping the beard if its gonna affect things) but couldn't bring myself to have a clean shave as I've always had a beard (almost). Besides, hopefully the trust knows that many without a beard also fail fit testing and need a respirator. These units for example will be used by many of the girls who cannot get a decent seal with the various masks!! Plus one of our consultants shaved his beard (stubble to us lot) but still failed the standard masks!

All I'd wanna add to your point abiut your hospitals policies is, that,... some people that make these policies are just stupid ( :-bd but I guess you already know that) and the bittom line is to reduce (as per national and international guidance) aerosol generating procedures (hence cpap over bipap where required/used)...

The dragers. They're the ones that make you look like a gnome right... horrible things they are and really affect my brain and aviliry to think. But they're arguably easier to clean. I usually clean the area around me (before doffing in the 'special' room). Then clean all the hood from outside. Then rip gown forwards and crumple it up into itself so only touchibg the inside thats clean* and then remove the hood into a bag/bucket. Wash hands > glove up > clean respirator again and from the inside also and then we take em out to put em back...

PM me and I shall see if I can find you a local policy as there's a unit (9-5) that are meant to be cleaning ours within 5 minutes if we take it there. Surely they'll be following a written protocol...

*Thats how we was taught from the infection prevention nurse (ex icu) and disseminated down