Vargo bot - users views please!

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Laurensdad

Vargo bot - users views please!

Post by Laurensdad »

One litre or the cup smaller version? I'd like to keep a gas canister within...
Good bit of kit or no?
Alternatives?
Cheers
Phil
@philg1971 Instagram
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Vargo bot - users views please!

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Good bit of kit or no?
I think the answer is - It depends.

I had a stainless one but sold it last year because I hardly ever used it. The concept is great but reality seemed different. As a cooking pot it's fine but heavy / bulky (Ti would obviously be lighter but a Ti BOT is very expensive). As a water container it's fine too but it doesn't function well as both.

If you're using it as a pot, then chances are you've stuffed it with stove, food etc which means you can't carry water in it. If you're carrying water in it, then you can't also stuff it with cooking gear.

If you want to use it as a pot, there are lighter / cheaper / better pots out there.

If you want to use it as a water container there are lighter / cheaper / better containers out there.

In theory it serves as both but it can't do both at the same time. Think carefully about how you intend to use it.
May the bridges you burn light your way
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I got a 700ml tomshoo for 15 (actually cost me 5 due to a 10 ebay voucher) so you have to wonder if a screw on lid is worth around 100 quid.
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

Unless you’re a cold soaker trying to shave grams I wouldn’t bother, so over priced imho
atk

Post by atk »

I've got the 1L Ti version. Intention was to use it to cold soak stuff + boil water for tea/coffee in the morning but that trip never happened.

Instead, it mostly ended up being used for my commute #coffeeoutside, carrying the mug, gas, coffee, stove and lighter together, other times it was used for storing nuts, oats or dried fruits in the cupboard :roll:

As a coffee setup, it was pretty handy to be able to throw it all in a frame bag or rucksack and keep everything together.

The circumstances I bought mine meant it came in around the 40-50£ mark. I'd be annoyed if I lost/destroyed it but doubt I'd fork out for a new one given they seem to be around £120 now.