Another Bar tape Q

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ootini

Another Bar tape Q

Post by ootini »

So I need some tape to wrap the new inboard bar ends I've fitted on my MTB. I tried some cheapo stuff from Planetx but it was absolute crap. No proper adhesive strip, just a mildly tacky line of snot on the back. So after lots of swearing I ripped it off (didn't take much effort) and binned it.

I like the look of the lizard skins tape, but can anyone tell me if it has a "proper" adhesive strip please ?

Thanks
ScotRoutes

Re: Another Bar tape Q

Post by ScotRoutes »

It has a sticky strip but it's more to do with the wrap.
ootini

Post by ootini »

ScotRoutes wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:49 pm It has a sticky strip but it's more to do with the wrap.
In what sense?
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

It's the wrap which holds bar tape in place, not the adhesive. I think you can even get non-adhesive tape.

On my Jones the ends of the runs are held in place with a wrap of black electrical tape.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
ootini

Post by ootini »

sean_iow wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:03 pm It's the wrap which holds bar tape in place, not the adhesive. I think you can even get non-adhesive tape.

On my Jones the ends of the runs are held in place with a wrap of black electrical tape.
Ah ok, so I think for skilled wrappers (Ice cube) that would be fine. For little ole me, I need a hand keeping it all together.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Yeah - the adhesive is only really there to help. Once wrapped, the tension of the tape is what keeps it in place. There is a bit of a knack in getting the right tension though.

FWIW I'm a big fan of Lizard Skins DSP tape.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Once you get started and a couple of wraps in the tension keeps it in place.

My tip is to have the electrical tape within arms reach so you can keep one hand on the bar tape when you get to the end to stop it unraveling before you tape it up.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
ootini

Post by ootini »

sean_iow wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:20 pm Once you get started and a couple of wraps in the tension keeps it in place.

My tip is to have the electrical tape within arms reach so you can keep one hand on the bar tape when you get to the end to stop it unraveling before you tape it up.
I taped the drops on my Arkose using the bog standard FWE tape and it was easy, nice n sticky so helped with the grip and I was ok to then pull up the tension. The planetx sh!te I used simply slid off the bar as soon as I tried to apply any tension.

Either way, I think ill give the lizardskin DSP 2.5 a whirl.
Cyclepeasant

Post by Cyclepeasant »

This may help.
Wind the righthand one clockwise and lefthand one anticlockwise.
As you grip the bar,we tend to twist our wrists inwards. This will twist the tape tighter.....in theory!!
I like silicone gripper type bar tape (Bontrager is one I have used) ,it can be repositioned and retensioned until it's correct. Then wrap insulation tape at end to prevent it unraveling.
It just requires a little practice.
Insanity over vanity
ootini

Post by ootini »

Ok, so then there's the question, during this pandemic, plague, lock down, is it unfair of me to order something "non-essential" for delivery, potentially putting warehouse and delivery staff at risk ?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

You're helping keep folk in a job!
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

ootini wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:10 pm
sean_iow wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:03 pm It's the wrap which holds bar tape in place, not the adhesive. I think you can even get non-adhesive tape.

Ah ok, so I think for skilled wrappers (Ice cube) that would be fine. For little ole me, I need a hand keeping it all together.
The wrap as well as (don't forget to consider) the orientation of the wrap. Its thw direction of the wrap that will ensure that each time you grip the bars you inadvertently (either) tighten or loosen it. Think about how you grab your bars in anger (going up a steep climb?) and wrap in the direction that you'd be tightening.

Also the tape at the end of your wrapping, you might need to wrap it in reverse to ensure it won't catch against your fingers each time you touch it whilst (w)rapping....

[Edit: just realised its already been said... so what cyclepeasant said and just put some thought into you rapping like Ice Cube
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

ScotRoutes wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:55 am You're helping keep folk in a job!
I'd agree with this. Same reason why folk shouldn't put stuff they decided they didn't want at the b and Q aisles in the correct place. It (used to) keep us in a job and a job in itself sorting it all out... Salutes to you
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

I've got some bar tape being delivered today if that helps.
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Cinelli gel tape is the OneTrueBarTape. No adhesive strip, just a silicon-gripper style backing.

As Sean says, get it started and it grips under tension, then use a wrap of electrical tape to finish off. Start end should hold itself without tape.

I've used it for at least 15 years - road bikes, CX bikes, gravel bikes, Jones bars, extra wraps round ESI grips for more padding, it's good for anything. I have black tape that I've reused four or five times, sometimes on different bars, as it doesn't go brittle like some tape; you can't reuse tape with adhesive backing that leaves a residue on the tape when removed.

(You also don't need the little bits of tape they give you to cover the gaps going round drop lever clamps if you perfect the figure-of-8 technique).
Al

Post by Al »

Something else to consider - If you’re just getting the hang of wrapping bars the stuff with the strip of gel on the back is much more forgiving as you can undo it and keep trying until your happy with it. The adhesive stuff does not like being reused so much.

Edit - beaten to it by Dyffers!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Ok, so then there's the question, during this pandemic, plague, lock down, is it unfair of me to order something "non-essential" for delivery, potentially putting warehouse and delivery staff at risk ?
As Colin says, ordering something no matter what, is doing a little to help keep the economical sh1t storm that awaits at bay for a little longer. There are many people including myself who rely on mail order to keep food ont' table. If the country falls under an absolute lock-down many folk will go to the wall who perhaps didn't have to.

With regard to tension - the angle you apply the tape will make a big difference. Too steep an angle and it won't hold so well and will try to unravel.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ootini

Post by ootini »

TaDaaaaaa
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Nice.

I'm just about to order red/white DSP myself,
ootini

Post by ootini »

Up close it's not the tidiest job, but due to the clamp and overall shape of the set Up it's actually quite an awkward wrapping job. I used the 2.5mm not 3.2mm.

I really like the tape though. When my Arkose's drops need retaping I think I'll be going for the DSP tape.