Does anyone use talkytoaster look and feel , pesky old memory maps dont work

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

firestarter

Does anyone use talkytoaster look and feel , pesky old memory maps dont work

Post by firestarter »

I currently have the normal free version but wondered If the paid version was worth paying for, tbh it looks like it might be a bit busy on a little Garmin device

I finally bought a new laptop but my old old memory map files no longer seem to work, they are very old though
sean_iow

Re: Does anyone use talkytoaster look and feel , pesky old memory maps dont work

Post by sean_iow »

I use the TT maps on my eTrex 30. The content is zoom level related so the more you zoom in the more detail it shows so the screen doesn't get any more cluttered.

It's much better than Ordnance Survey which is just an image you view and the content is the same regardless of zoom.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
sean_iow

Re: Does anyone use talkytoaster look and feel , pesky old memory maps dont work

Post by sean_iow »

Here's an example, this is Bembridge on the Island

Zoom in further and the symbols for the shops appear

Excuse the shoddy pics.
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

Look good thanks for the info, fo you use it on the laptop for planning too cheers
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I've got Ordnance mapping (Tracklogs) on the laptop which I mainly use for planning as the rights of way are easy to see. I do check my routes in Basecamp using the TT maps - this is for trips off the Island.

I've had Tracklogs for 10+ years and it's what I'm used to but unfortunately I think they have ceased trading :sad: so for any areas where I don't have the mapping I'll have to plan another way from now on.

Locally I know where all the right of ways are, an advantage of being on a small(ish) island. For mainland trips I'm usually either following someone else's route or if riding to a destination I use a web based route planner to get a route on quiet roads/cycleways.

The only problem I have with Open Source mapping (not just TT but all of them) is working out where the rights of way are as they only show the physical tracks and paths rather than the legal status? But that might be me not using it correctly?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Sean - Open Source Mapping has to work for all countries not just the UK so the footpath/BW distinction doesn't necessarily apply everywhere. OSM marks things up in several ways: surface; width; legal status. It's then up to the map generators (like Talkytoaster) to decide how to display these. OSM is just the base data not the maps themselves.

If you sign up to OSM (free) you can look in your local area and once you zoom in far enough you can click on paths, bridleways, etc. to see the tags that are applied. If something's wrong then modify it (there's a wiki help system) and submit. The next time people like Talkytoaster pull the data and rebuild their map it will have the change.

It's a very flexible system but at first (and second and third) look it's not intuitive. For example if there's any access allowed you first have to give complete access then restrict those classes of transport that aren't allowed.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
quimarche

Post by quimarche »

I've been using TT 1:50K Look'n'Feel British Isles on my Garmin 800 Touring for 5 years and it's never let me down. Martin was having a problem with privacy a while back, but £11 for a good product seems a fair price to me.
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

You know what I didnt realise they were so cheap, when I messaged him I said I'd probably like the map on gps and laptop so he suggested the subscription, but the 11 quid option is a bargain, that or the dem version anyone know pros and cons of them compared cheers