Genesis Longitude???

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Post Reply
Max Effort
Posts: 92
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:16 pm

Genesis Longitude???

Post by Max Effort » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:31 pm

I have the chance to get a brand new (2019), Genesis Longitude, for a silly price!
I’ve heard good things about them but I’d appreciate any advice.
Thanks in advance 🙂👍

voodoo_simon
Posts: 2850
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:05 pm

Re: Genesis Longitude???

Post by voodoo_simon » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:33 pm

You’ll be putting valuable money into the till of a bike shop during these desperate times :-bd If that’s not a good enough reason for n+1, then you’ll never buy it :lol:

Max Effort
Posts: 92
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:16 pm

Re: Genesis Longitude???

Post by Max Effort » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:54 pm

voodoo_simon wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:33 pm
You’ll be putting valuable money into the till of a bike shop during these desperate times :-bd If that’s not a good enough reason for n+1, then you’ll never buy it :lol:
I’m afraid it’s a private sale, not a bike shop. The LBS are only open for repairs!! 😟

voodoo_simon
Posts: 2850
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:05 pm

Re: Genesis Longitude???

Post by voodoo_simon » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:56 pm

You’ll be putting money towards a hard-working individual who potential needs a little extra help during this C19 period. If that doesn’t justify N+1... etc :lol:

User avatar
TheBrownDog
Posts: 1423
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:46 pm
Location: Chilterns

Re: Genesis Longitude???

Post by TheBrownDog » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:33 pm

I lifted one over a gate once. Still getting over it. But those I know who ride them, love them.
I'm just stepping outside ...

User avatar
Bearbonesnorm
Posts: 18783
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:53 pm
Location: my own little world

Re: Genesis Longitude???

Post by Bearbonesnorm » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:56 pm

I've never owned one but I've also never heard a bad word from those who do. As Tim says, they are a bit portly but probably no more than similar steel frames.
#corporate shill for hire

Gummikuh
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu May 04, 2017 9:44 am
Location: Roundabout Milton Keynes

Re: Genesis Longitude???

Post by Gummikuh » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:46 pm

I have one.

I think it is perfect for the sort of stuff we do, still not convinced about 27.5+ though.

It's not the fastest, but it is very forgiving.

I suppose the question is what do you intend to use it for?

User avatar
barney
Posts: 629
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:21 pm

Re: Genesis Longitude???

Post by barney » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:35 pm

I have one, absolutely love, it ticks every box for my all round bivy bike.

Only downside is that it is a bit weighty and for someone who isn't the fittest it can be a pain when riding with whippets but if I wasn't such a lazy arse that wouldn't be an issue.
Wait for me...

Max Effort
Posts: 92
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:16 pm

Re: Genesis Longitude???

Post by Max Effort » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:57 pm

Gummikuh wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:46 pm
I have one.

I think it is perfect for the sort of stuff we do, still not convinced about 27.5+ though.

It's not the fastest, but it is very forgiving.

I suppose the question is what do you intend to use it for?
What’s making you doubtful about the 27.5+?

middleagedmadness
Posts: 1599
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:37 pm
Location: Tir Na Nog

Re: Genesis Longitude???

Post by middleagedmadness » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:12 am

Had one , just got the gearing right and a set of Jones bars and it got nicked , it was one of the most comfortable bikes I’ve had , it’s not quick but soaks everything up with ease , yep it’s heavy but the only time I’ve felt it was after 3 days of lifting over multiple gates , seriously considering another as I can’t see anything else that’s tickling me for my type of riding

Fat tyre kicker
Posts: 854
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:39 pm
Location: Cheshire

Re: Genesis Longitude???

Post by Fat tyre kicker » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:52 am

I nearly bought one but bought a Vagabond instead, mistake, it lasted
One ride, I found it too be an unforgiving ride, wish I'd gone for a longitude,
My mate had one with Stooge bars on and it was a great ride, only drawback
Being the aforementioned weight over gate issue but all in all a great bike :-bd

Max Effort
Posts: 92
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:16 pm

Re: Genesis Longitude???

Post by Max Effort » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:14 am

Thanks for all the replies.
Sounds good so far!
There’s only a couple of things putting me off...
Sizing; The bike is a medium, but the Genesis website says I should get a large (I’m 5,10”). I’ve tried the bike and it seems fine (maybe needs a slightly longer stem).
Wheel size; I worry a little about the availability of 27.5+ stuff, but it can be converted to a 29er anyway!
Any advice?
Thanks again 🙂👍

Max Effort
Posts: 92
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:16 pm

Re: Genesis Longitude???

Post by Max Effort » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:19 am

middleagedmadness wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:12 am
Had one , just got the gearing right and a set of Jones bars and it got nicked , it was one of the most comfortable bikes I’ve had , it’s not quick but soaks everything up with ease , yep it’s heavy but the only time I’ve felt it was after 3 days of lifting over multiple gates , seriously considering another as I can’t see anything else that’s tickling me for my type of riding
Sorry to hear about the bike being nicked.
I’ve been thinking of putting Jones bars on mine (well, they’re actually On-One Geoffs).
What were they like on the Longitude? Did you change stem length?
Thanks for the help 🙂👍

Gummikuh
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu May 04, 2017 9:44 am
Location: Roundabout Milton Keynes

Re: Genesis Longitude???

Post by Gummikuh » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:08 am

Hi.

27.5+ feels draggy on roads and hard surfaces, very difficult to get the pressure right for mixed terrain.
I have a vagabond 29er and it feels like it rolls better/faster, might just be me, might be the bike.
I have Jones bars on my longitude and it is again a marmite set-up, lots of hand positions and places to strap bags and attach GPS/lights. but I know some hate the wrist position.
I have a large and I am 180cm tall, seems fine for me, I wouldn't have thought a medium is that much smaller, but layback seatpost's and longer stems can help.
Like all things you are better taking a test ride if you can, to get the right size, otherwise you may never like the bike, no matter how much of a bargain it was.
Shame about all this lockdown, would have been more than happy for you to take mine for a spin.

middleagedmadness
Posts: 1599
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:37 pm
Location: Tir Na Nog

Re: Genesis Longitude???

Post by middleagedmadness » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:38 am

Max Effort wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:19 am
middleagedmadness wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:12 am
Had one , just got the gearing right and a set of Jones bars and it got nicked , it was one of the most comfortable bikes I’ve had , it’s not quick but soaks everything up with ease , yep it’s heavy but the only time I’ve felt it was after 3 days of lifting over multiple gates , seriously considering another as I can’t see anything else that’s tickling me for my type of riding
Sorry to hear about the bike being nicked.
I’ve been thinking of putting Jones bars on mine (well, they’re actually On-One Geoffs).
What were they like on the Longitude? Did you change stem length?
Thanks for the help 🙂👍
Tried it with the standard stem and was a little too compact , not loads just felt elbows were tucked in to much , dropped a 90mm stem on and road great , really comfy

Max Effort
Posts: 92
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:16 pm

Re: Genesis Longitude???

Post by Max Effort » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:33 pm

middleagedmadness wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:38 am
Max Effort wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:19 am
middleagedmadness wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:12 am
Had one , just got the gearing right and a set of Jones bars and it got nicked , it was one of the most comfortable bikes I’ve had , it’s not quick but soaks everything up with ease , yep it’s heavy but the only time I’ve felt it was after 3 days of lifting over multiple gates , seriously considering another as I can’t see anything else that’s tickling me for my type of riding
Sorry to hear about the bike being nicked.
I’ve been thinking of putting Jones bars on mine (well, they’re actually On-One Geoffs).
What were they like on the Longitude? Did you change stem length?
Thanks for the help 🙂👍
Tried it with the standard stem and was a little too compact , not loads just felt elbows were tucked in to much , dropped a 90mm stem on and road great , really comfy
Good to know!
I have both so I’ll have a bit of a play with them.
Thanks for the help 🙂👍

Max Effort
Posts: 92
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:16 pm

Re: Genesis Longitude???

Post by Max Effort » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:43 pm

Gummikuh wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:08 am
Hi.

27.5+ feels draggy on roads and hard surfaces, very difficult to get the pressure right for mixed terrain.
I have a vagabond 29er and it feels like it rolls better/faster, might just be me, might be the bike.
I have Jones bars on my longitude and it is again a marmite set-up, lots of hand positions and places to strap bags and attach GPS/lights. but I know some hate the wrist position.
I have a large and I am 180cm tall, seems fine for me, I wouldn't have thought a medium is that much smaller, but layback seatpost's and longer stems can help.
Like all things you are better taking a test ride if you can, to get the right size, otherwise you may never like the bike, no matter how much of a bargain it was.
Shame about all this lockdown, would have been more than happy for you to take mine for a spin.
The fact that the tyres drag a bit doesn’t worry me much. I tend y to o keep off road whenever possible and my racing days are well gone!
I’m only a bit shorter than you but I’m built like a chimp (short legs/long body), so if I’m between two sizes, I always go for the smaller one. Also, my shoulders are knackered, so a more upright position would be better.
I quite like the Jones bars, so may well be using them.
Thanks for the help 🙂👍

User avatar
thenorthwind
Posts: 994
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:07 pm
Location: Newcastle

Re: Genesis Longitude???

Post by thenorthwind » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:25 pm

I have a 2018 ( or is it 2016? Not the one with the alu fork anyway) Longitude. Echo what others have said - bit heavy, but love it.

I tried Jones bars on mine - personally I came to the conclusion that the frame was too long for them to work, but I know others have has success. Maybe if I had a frame size down it could work, but would probably need a longer steerer or high rise stem. Happy with my Confucius bars now anyway.

I like 27.5+, but I find tyre pressure makes a big difference, so play around.

Post Reply