Trouble sleeping?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

JohnClimber

Trouble sleeping?

Post by JohnClimber »

Anyone else have trouble getting to sleep? having their mind race with rubbish going through it all the time

Either wild camping, or in a bothy, or right now at home thinking about all the stress that's going on in the world and how best to keep your family safe?

I occasionally have had success getting to sleep with good quality ear plugs but not every time, and having music on in my earphones is too much for me even at a low volume with no base on either.

Last night I found my cure and I thought I share it with you all who maybe are on here in a similar situation in these very stressful times.

Now if you've heard about this then why the hell didn't you tell me about it as I only heard about it yesterday.....?

It's music recorded in an 8D format but is available on youtube and spotify too.

Although I said I didn't like the sound from the ear phones in my ears when I'm trying to sleep this is very different, it works best being on as a background noise on a low volume but the great thing this about this technology is that the music does not sound like it's coming from the ear plugs that it essential to listen to this music on.
It's as though the sounds are be hovering all around your head and not in your ears, so the ear plugs aren't pumping away keeping me awake.
Because the music is moving around it focuses your attention away from thinking about what normally keeps you awake and last night I fell asleep in just 10 minutes where as recently it's taken me a hour or two or longer to be honest, my bladder woke me up at 3am as normal, I turned the music back on and I was asleep in 15 minutes listening to the music again.

I used this mix
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHKcExQTQa0&t=2522s

But if this track is not to your taste (it's not mine to be honest) there are loads put there on youtube, just search for 8d music

Enjoy your sleep :-bd
Boab

Re: Trouble sleeping?

Post by Boab »

I'm assuming it relies on you being able to hear stereo...?
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

K1100T wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:28 pm I'm assuming it relies on you being able to hear stereo...?
No idea
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Never really have much trouble. My advice, don't watch the news or read papers. Only ever focus on the things you can change and strive to do so but ignore all the stuff that's completely out of your control.
May the bridges you burn light your way
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:42 pm Never really have much trouble. My advice, don't watch the news or read papers. Only ever focus on the things you can change and strive to do so but ignore all the stuff that's completely out of your control.
Good point, but still worth a listen in a dark room, with your eyes shut and ear phones in
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Go to bed when tired. Sleep.

Go to bed when not tired. Lie awake trying to sleep.

I never have a problem outdoors. Sleep then comes in 3 stages; first is a deep sleep - maybe up to 3 hrs. Second is a fidgety sleep - maybe an hour or so during which time I'll give in and have a pee. Third is another deep sleep until I get up.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

It's music recorded in an 8D format
I'm sorry, what? Someone's going to have to explain that to me, until which time I'm going to assume it's some sort of pseudo-science.
oreocereus

Post by oreocereus »

From a quick google 8D is a colloquial term. It refers to ambisonic audio (which is a technology created for 360 video and VR content - “360 degree sound” that can be tracked to a users proximity and head direction). I’m assuming the YouTube “8D” stuff doesn’t track the users position in 3D space, but it may be made using ambisonic recording techniques - and from what op is saying, it sounds like it is mixed to sound as though different sounds are occurring all around the room.
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

Apparently music without lyrics is much easier to fall asleep to

I listen to something every night just about, usually a podcast or something chilled like Boards of Canada etc