Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

MuddyPete

Re: Virtual BAM ... you know you want to

Post by MuddyPete »

RIP wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:32 pm Image
Fabulously civilised :-bd.
What slippers for bike packing, Reg?

Not as chilly a night as the cloudless sky suggested. Fitful, until I sussed that proper pillows are the secret.

And there's some alarmingly squawky birds oot-n-aboot in the middle of the night :shock: :lol: .

Now: brekkie.....
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Yeah i thought that... Ear plugs been in since 4 am.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Well I was too busy bivying with my daughter and missed all the fun on here last night. Great work everyone, and especially Reg. We managed to sleep despite the street lamp ad woke to a surprise frost.

Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Hope I didn't wake anyone up snoring.

This thread reset my mind. Thank you.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Agreed, slept better than I’ve done in ages.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

It's just coming up to 9am and I'm still in my bag, sat up waiting for the stove but there's no rush as I've got all day :smile:

I think I'll have a leisurely breakfast and then think about getting up. The local landowner seems friendly enough so I don't expect to be moved on.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Landowner here has invited me in to cook a fry up. Will be heading back outside to eat it, though. It’s a beautiful day and the sun is just about to reach a nearby rock outcrop where someone has conveniently left a table and a smouldering fire pit. :-bd :cool: :-bd
Raggedstone

Virtual BAM .... you know you want to

Post by Raggedstone »

4/4
I managed to get to the bivvy spot and get set up in time for the sunset ,it seemed like a good opportunity to try out the Lidl bar bag and seat pack seemed fine for a local trip .

Time to light the fire for a recreation of a well known scene from a "cult movie"
After a beer or two followed by a hot chocolate with radio 4 and the thought of loads of others entertaining themselves in their own ways for company it was time for bed i decided to try just using a lightweight bivvy bag wiith a cumulus 150 quilt to test the limits as can be seen from the before and after pictures there was a change of approach sometime in the night . The Dawn cacophony woke me from my slumber and just to make sure a woodpecker started banging away at a tree in the neighbours garden . I got up about 7 to see a bit of frost on the bag and a white lawn 0.1 C according to the Garmin
On the way home i managed to catch a glimpse of the promised land
Great idea and a lot of fun well done everyone
Last edited by Raggedstone on Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
RIP

Post by RIP »

MuddyPete wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:25 am And there's some alarmingly squawky birds oot-n-aboot in the middle of the night :shock: :lol:
Oh not again. I did tell Mrs Perrin she's to stay indoors when I'm out bivvying.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Not bivi'ed this close to a city before.

I woke up at midnight to noise....

If we are under lockdown why the hell was there so much traffic on the nearby motorway?
They can't all be essential traveling.

And OMG how many bloody sirens going off all over the place, I gave in at 1pm got up and headed for the garage for some earplugs.
Once back in my hammock with the ear plugs in I went straight to sleep again.
Only to be woken at 4 with my bladder, once emptied I slept in until 8.40 when next doors barky bastard (that's the breed name) dog was let out into their back garden and woke everyone up with his no stop barking as normal.
barney

Post by barney »

Absolute top work by Reg... surely that's a gauntlet to be thrown down to be beaten?

unlike you John I was amazed how quiet it was by me, virtually total silence all night. Almost like I was in the middle of nowhere.

Had a good catch up with John, Taylor and Matt on Zoom as well. :-bd

Wait for me...
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Nice work all, but particularly Reg :grin:
I would have joined you if I hadn't had a virtual 30th birthday to go to.
JohnClimber wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:44 am If we are under lockdown why the hell was there so much traffic on the nearby motorway?
They can't all be essential traveling.
I live quite close to a dual carriageway, the main road into town from the east, and I've noticed walking/riding alongside it that although there's much less traffic (though still not as little as you might think) it doesn't seem any quieter. It seems that the noise of a few cars at any one point, enough to be almost constant, is much the same as many cars.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

RIP wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:34 pm If I forget how to get home, at least I'll have some nice reading material to keep me happy until I'm rescued.

Food for the mind
Nice Discworld collection there Reg
RIP

Post by RIP »

Well spotted. Couldn't carry the other half of them :wink: . I know it's easy (for some) to mock Mr P but he was a clever writer. One of the few I couldn't get the hang of was Good Omens until I saw the Tennant/Sheen film version, after which I enjoyed the book. I was going to carry out a load of fairly weighty factual tomes instead but didn't want to give the right impression :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster