Seatpack restraint

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ssnowman

Seatpack restraint

Post by ssnowman »

My seatpack is an Alpkit one and no matter how I load it or fasten it , it sways all over the place.

I was thinking about trying to make a metal bracket of sorts to make it more stable and happened to come across this: https://www.carradice.co.uk/bags/bikepa ... pport-rack

Has anyone tried this or something similar!
May satan walk with you
PaulB2

Re: Seatpack restraint

Post by PaulB2 »

stevenshand

Post by stevenshand »

Apparently some seatpacks are much better than others and when fitted securely, hardly sway at all. Thats's what I've heard anyway. :wink:
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

The key with the Alpkit ones is to pack the section nearest the seatpost (that the straps tighten against) rock solid.
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

Richpips wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:42 pm The key with the Alpkit ones is to pack the section nearest the seatpost (that the straps tighten against) rock solid.
I've tried many times, but it still sways unfortunately.

Has anyone tried one of the restraint bars?
May satan walk with you
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

How much stuff are you putting in there? I find once you approach 2kg or so then there's a bit of momentum in any swing so you feel it. It's so long since I've used something like an Alpkit tapered Airlock on its own that I can't remember how it behaved.

As Rich says: heavier, denser stuff towards the seatpost, light and fluffy further back will reduce the forces.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

whitestone wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:21 pm How much stuff are you putting in there? I find once you approach 2kg or so then there's a bit of momentum in any swing so you feel it. It's so long since I've used something like an Alpkit tapered Airlock on its own that I can't remember how it behaved.

As Rich says: heavier, denser stuff towards the seatpost, light and fluffy further back will reduce the forces.
That's what I've been doing. Maybe l am expecting to put too much in there.
May satan walk with you
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

A kilo to 1500g would be my usual seatpack load and that's when using a Wildcat Tiger harness, not just strapping a bag to the saddle rails.

Let's just say it's physics way of telling you to TLS :lol:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
BigRingGrinder

Post by BigRingGrinder »

ssnowman wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:14 pm Has anyone tried one of the restraint bars?
Yes I've used the Alpikt exo rail with a Koala on a couple of occasions and found it did help to reduce the swaying issue.

But...

My Koala was the older style so didn't have the sleeve to support the rail. When I purchased the rail (probably two years ago now) they sold an additional lumpa harness so that the rail would work with older versions of the Koala. Doesn't look like they sell that now (at least I can't see it on the site) so if you have an older style Koala without the sleeve on top it may not work without a bit of bodging.
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

BigRingGrinder wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:00 pm
ssnowman wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:14 pm Has anyone tried one of the restraint bars?
Yes I've used the Alpikt exo rail with a Koala on a couple of occasions and found it did help to reduce the swaying issue.

But...

My Koala was the older style so didn't have the sleeve to support the rail. When I purchased the rail (probably two years ago now) they sold an additional lumpa harness so that the rail would work with older versions of the Koala. Doesn't look like they sell that now (at least I can't see it on the site) so if you have an older style Koala without the sleeve on top it may not work without a bit of bodging.
It's an older one, so probably won't work that well then.
May satan walk with you