Lockdown tarp talk

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ChrisS

Lockdown tarp talk

Post by ChrisS »

My new tarp arrived this week, just in time for the lockdown. As there'll be no big rides or overnighters for a bit I'm going to practise in the garden instead and maybe throw in some garden bivying with the kids when the weather warms a bit.

A couple of questions...

1. I need a pole for the tarp. It's 2.8m x 1.5m and I'm trying to figure out what's going to be best pole height - will a 1m pole be enough for simple setups?

2. What's your favourite tarp setup that works for you most of the time?

Thanks!
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Lockdown tarp talk

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I need a pole for the tarp. It's 2.8m x 1.5m and I'm trying to figure out what's going to be best pole height - will a 1m pole be enough for simple setups?
Yes but remember that a longer pole can be virtually shortened by placing it further from the tarp so may be more versatile.
What's your favourite tarp setup that works for you most of the time?
Half pyramid - dead quick to set-up (some may remember me doing it while blindfold at the WRT some years ago. Decent coverage on 3 sides, good headroom and pretty stable.

May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Oooh geek thread! :geek:

2.8x1.5 seems very elongated, what's the model or is it a MYO?

I've a 2.5x1.5m Trekkerten DCF (cuben fibre) tarp. I use a 120cm carbon fibre pole that Stu made. I've used a couple of pitches. I started with a dropped tail A-frame like this:

The tarp on the right is an Alpkit Rig3.5 and is in a similar setup. Whereas the Alpkit is using two poles (1100mm & 900mm from memory) I'm using the handlebars of my bike as my second "pole".

I then moved to a sort of half-mid pitch, I've since learnt that this is also known as a "Holden tent". Again I'm using my bike as the second pole - the lifter is attached to the mid-point of the tarp. It's this lifter that differentiates it from the half-pyramid.

I've also come across the "asymmetric Holden" which gives better headroom where you need it.

If you haven't come across him before, papa hiker has some good videos on various tarp setups - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6DiGj ... Grw/videos

Edit: Here's the asymmetric Holden. Not brilliantly pitched as there's walls and stone steps in the way of some of the pegs but gives an idea of what it looks like.

Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:03 pm Half pyramid - dead quick to set-up (some may remember me doing it while blindfold at the WRT some years ago. Decent coverage on 3 sides, good headroom and pretty stable.
I like that setup, looks cosy! Thanks for the pole tip :)
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

whitestone wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:08 pm 2.8x1.5 seems very elongated, what's the model or is it a MYO?
It's the DDHammocks superlight small.

Thanks for all the pics. I think I'll start off with the dropped A frame using some trekking poles which will be a good way of experimenting with different pole heights.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Being tall, I find a lot of the set ups to be quite limiting on space unless they're pitched quite a ways up in the air, which then gets quite breezy! Just a heads up

Might be OK at 2.8m though!
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Agree with Ben on this. As well as tallish I'm rather wide-ish and like my room, so a 3mx3m DD Hammocks Superlight Large has been my tarp de choice for the past 3-4 years. Cheap at £60 and light enough at 500g. It works in any sort of pitch and give loads of coverage, and it's been perfect for hammocking. Can't fault it.
I'm just going outside ...
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

TheBrownDog wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:09 pm Agree with Ben on this. As well as tallish I'm rather wide-ish and like my room, so a 3mx3m DD Hammocks Superlight Large has been my tarp de choice for the past 3-4 years. Cheap at £60 and light enough at 500g. It works in any sort of pitch and give loads of coverage, and it's been perfect for hammocking. Can't fault it.
They do seem good value and light enough (the superlight small is just 270g). Inaugural pitching in the garden tomorrow!
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Hells bells, I was thinking of re-trying a plain tarp and now would have been the perfect time to practice (in back garden) but I never got round to buying one.....

Hmm, wonder if they are still available MO anywhere.....
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

DDhammocks are still delivering (though the order went in pre-lockdown). Alpkit seem to be too.
Boab

Post by Boab »

Alpkit also have a 20% discount going on at the moment too...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.