Full suspender riders...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

sean_iow

Re: Full suspender riders...

Post by sean_iow »

Patio needs weeding, valves not correctly aligned with tyre logos, cranks not level and miss-matched tyres... 5/10 :wink:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I’ve got a 2015 giant anthem with 100mm each end (incidentally, the 2020 model has 120 / 110 , boost and is 1 1/2 times the price). It climbs quite well while seated despite having no lockout though I don’t have any long climbs locally. At 13.5kg it’s not super light but the stock wheels are heavy. You really notice the bob when climbing out of the saddle so I tend to stay seated. It’s my de facto bike packing bike because I don’t have a hard tail and the gravel bike is setup for predominant road usage.

Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I thought this was going to be a "What legwear?" thread.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

I have Sram X0 on both my mountain bikes. I've got silicon boots on the ends.
I'm sure you're on top of this, but those silicon boots trap mud/water and hold it at the pedal thread. Worth regularly removing and checking/greasing pedals. I've got some X0 cranks with a pedal stuck in, after the other pedal collapsed.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Ride uphill on rough stuff with a fs bike. Walk it with a rigid due to the lack of grip.
i think this is true as they do grip - might be more of an issue with light riders like me as i have certainly seen less svelt and fit riders get up things i loose grip on
No pics of my bikes - plenty of scenery though
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

sean_iow wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:43 pm Patio needs weeding, valves not correctly aligned with tyre logos, cranks not level and miss-matched tyres... 5/10 :wink:
Harsh. :cry:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Ride uphill on rough stuff with a fs bike. Walk it with a rigid due to the lack of grip. So much for treacle. I ride both (fs and rigid) very regularly and once the terrain is rough enough ... well... as usual; horses for courses.
I did say, the issue most likely lay with me and not suspension Gian ... these full sus riders, nearly as touchy as roadies :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I made the point, in my wee CL300 write-up that I was very grateful for suspension when I was tired, it was dark, and I had a fast, rough track to descend back to Blair Atholl. I was more able to throw caution to the wind, knowing the bike would soak it up.
faustus

Post by faustus »

In Reverse wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:59 pm
sean_iow wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:43 pm Patio needs weeding, valves not correctly aligned with tyre logos, cranks not level and miss-matched tyres... 5/10 :wink:
I think that's a tongue-in-cheek STW idiom. Standard joke on any comment of a bike pic 'over there' :grin:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

In Reverse wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:59 pm
Couldn't stop myself, it's working from home, this is my only contact with the outside world. Nice bike though :-bd
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Third Speafish now. Also have a Pivot Mach 5.

I'd have to think back a long way since I haven't had a full sus as well as a hardtail. At least 1999 I'd suspect.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

ImageIMG_20191117_124505681 by Jurassic690, on Flickr
This is mine, an Orbea Rallon M Team 2019 (with 2020 linkage kit). 160mm travel front and rear, 29er, full carbon. Total overkill but it's incredible to ride. It's not particularly light (despite the carbon construction and blingy bits) but it doesn't feel heavy when you're riding it and it climbs better on rough terrain than any other FS bike that I've ridden. Possibly not the ideal bikepacking tool but I hope to try it if I'm lucky enough to see the other side of C-19. :cool:
slarge

Post by slarge »

I've a Specialized Epic (2018) - weight when I bought it was circa 25 lbs (12kg) but with a few lighter bits it's now circa 23 lbs (10.5kg ish). Got some more bits in mind to get it to 10kg...

ImageSpecialized Epic by Steve Large, on Flickr

It is a fast bike - Mike rode it briefly at Llandegla recently and was blown away by it. I swapped to his 26inch Yeti and couldn't believe how old and slow it felt. It will become my bikepacking bike when I've changed the brakes and gears to Hope and Shimano (as the cables are parallel with the bars so the bar harness will fit)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I swapped to his 26inch Yeti and couldn't believe how old and slow it felt.
In fairness Steve, it has got 23lb of glue holding the rear end together these days :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
FLV

Post by FLV »

slarge wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:54 pm I've a Specialized Epic (2018) - weight when I bought it was circa 25 lbs (12kg) but with a few lighter bits it's now circa 23 lbs (10.5kg ish). Got some more bits in mind to get it to 10kg...

It is a fast bike - Mike rode it briefly at Llandegla recently and was blown away by it. I swapped to his 26inch Yeti and couldn't believe how old and slow it felt. It will become my bikepacking bike when I've changed the brakes and gears to Hope and Shimano (as the cables are parallel with the bars so the bar harness will fit)
Thats just epic Steve.... see what i did there...
You are the master of light bikes steve (Gians kona is close).
That spesh is 1kg lighter than my ti hardtail which has 1x xt, carbon/dt front wheel and stans arch / dt rear wheel. SID forks and carbon bars...
If i ever get to my target body weight of 85kg i may treat myself to some slightly lighter wheels for that.

What we're all saying here is that heavier bikes feel heavier to pedal...
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

FLV wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:31 pm
What we're all saying here is that heavier bikes feel heavier to pedal...
Dave... isn't it meant to be the wheels... Heavier wheels/tires feel heavier to pedal :???:
slarge

Post by slarge »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:23 pm
I swapped to his 26inch Yeti and couldn't believe how old and slow it felt.
In fairness Steve, it has got 23lb of glue holding the rear end together these days :wink:
:lol:

It was more the geometry - the little wheel is tucked under the front end, and it felt like I was perched on it rather than in it......

"Thats just epic Steve.... see what i did there...
You are the master of light bikes steve (Gians kona is close).
That spesh is 1kg lighter than my ti hardtail which has 1x xt, carbon/dt front wheel and stans arch / dt rear wheel. SID forks and carbon bars...
If i ever get to my target body weight of 85kg i may treat myself to some slightly lighter wheels for that."

Thanks Dave, it's the racer in me, plus as I'm on the slighter side of stocky, a light bike is just so much easier to haul around......

Don't be too hasty with light wheels - I trashed the superlight carbon rim on it's first outing (3 big dings on the rim). Expensive error that!
FLV

Post by FLV »

Nah, i have limits for my size on wheels mate,

Perhaps ill swap it for a long forked hardtail, that'll fix it right :-bd
robbie

Post by robbie »

slarge wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:54 pm I've a Specialized Epic (2018) - weight when I bought it was circa 25 lbs (12kg) but with a few lighter bits it's now circa 23 lbs (10.5kg ish). Got some more bits in mind to get it to 10kg...

Great timing on this topic
I was just away to drop the ball on a new mtb after selling my old anthem.
but cant decide weather to go hard tail or xc full sus.
the epic caught my eye as there was a great deal on one and it gets great reviews.
Slarge is yours the comp carbon model?
the other option was a scott spark which looks very similar to the anthem.
I have a gravel bike and rigid ss so i suppose full sus is the way to go😀
slarge

Post by slarge »

Robbie,
yes, it's the carbon comp model. I love it, as long as the rear shock is set up correctly (it clonks if it isn't), but it is very easy to set up. It's a real mile muncher and speed machine, and whilst not a downhiller it's me that holds it back. Scott Spark or Orbea Oiz are excellent alternatives, but this was the right price (I bought it 2nd hand from a friend who's a bike shop owner, who then got another one for himself as Specialized sold them off).
slarge

Post by slarge »

I meant to add - mine is the Comp model, but I'm slowly getting it to S-Works equivalent spec. Thomson seatpost and light saddle took about 1 lb out, then carbon wheels and lighter tyres another lb. Removed the standard bottle cage (and multitool bracket) took some more out, then I'll be replacing brakes and gears to take some more out. Considering the S-Works is £7,500 (yes, 7,500!!!!) I'll be spending less than half that.....
robbie

Post by robbie »

Slarge
if thats sram nx on it then the biggest weight saving on the groupset is the cassete. the other groupset bits aren't worth upgrading unless u really want.
carbon handlebar. foam grips?
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

sean_iow wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:15 pm I have Sram X0 on both my mountain bikes. I've got silicon boots on the ends. To protect the arms I have these
Silicone booty? :???:

So, I use those boots too. Are they really silicone? On one set (on the long travel bike with XX1 cranks) the original ones, on the other (Kona with X01 cranks) some from Raceface. Once in a while they crack open and I've also lost them in the mountains, but they surely help fend off most of the visual damage. Still the rest of the crank arms are well chipped. My Alu and steel cranks used to look poor show too, but the chipping of the clear coat just shows more.
sean_iow wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:15 pm I could just cut some plain ones from black vinyl or clear tape which would be cheaper. I have to protect the arms as I tend to get quite bad pedal rub (wonky feet?) and I'm worried about going through the carbon
What rub?
:grin:
I used to cover the arm in vinyl, but as it just got messy after few rides, peeled of where rocks had struck, I stopped bothering altogether and am waiting for them to snap...
There definately is a difference in use of such exposed carbon parts. Carbon is more susceptible to abrasion than any other crank material.
In Reverse wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:30 pm which obvo doesn't help with the climbing bit.
I find it helps more than otherwise when climbing. Rode two bikes back to back with -1.5 and -2 ° anglesets and both needed less body language to keep the front down, when climbing silly steep stuff. Yet when the uphills are really techy, the steering needs a bit more attention. In my experience it's a win though.
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:11 pm I did say, the issue most likely lay with me and not suspension Gian
Ask yourself if you'd feel any difference if you were blind testing. Give a similar weight, geo and same tyres on a rigid and on a (well working obviously) fs with lockout and you may not feel any difference. Even just 0.2 bar less pressure will make a bigger difference.
Also there's this misconception (not putting these words into your mouth), that hardtails are laterally stiffer than fs bikes, yet the softest frame I ever had was a ti hardtail and the stiffest frame a carbon one. It's not quite black and white.
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:11 pm these full sus riders, nearly as touchy as roadies
Sorry to disappoint you, my words didn't come with emotions. As someone, with whom I rarely agree but do in this case, once said "facts don't have emotions".
mfezela

Post by mfezela »

Morewood Shova 2006
My own bike is completely stripped awaiting two pivot bearings and set of replacement fork seals. Pic of parts strewn about doesn't really show its full glory, so here's an internet sourced pic instead.
Technical info: Two wheels with tyres, lots of black and/or silver bits, gravity has no problem holding it down (unless I want air of course).
Climbs as well as I do, descends better.
Attachments
DSC00081Kopie.jpg
(108.46 KiB) Downloaded 1046 times
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

This has turned into a full sus versus owt else thread :grin:
I went through all iterations up to an Orange 5 in 2008. I went rigid in 2012. It was nowt to do with whats best, just what I fancied. I got bored with blasting down any gnarly descent you could shake a stick at without any significant challenge other than to see how fast you could go. Rigid was a way of slowing right up and making things harder, therefore more challenging and longer lasting...

I do occasionally eye up the Orange Stage 5 and 6 however..... and sometimes I go into the shed and look at my old patriot frame and think hmmm....