Bargain Alert Thread

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Borderer

Re: Bargain Alert Thread

Post by Borderer »

Rock and Run have the tent that Joe and I use - the MSR Carbon Reflex 3 - for £340 in their flash sale just now. That's less than I paid for ours two years ago! I really recommend this tent - I can't believe the price it is up for just now as they usually sell for £400+ second hand on eBay.

This is a 3 man, 1kg tent (yes really) with two doors, massive internal space including headroom and a full inner. its a seriously good bit of kit which comes with carbon poles. The only downside we have found is the door closures but there is a solution to that which can be bought on eBay for a fiver - quilting clips (very strong, small and lightweight).

We have used ours in very high winds and it has held up with no issues. It would be snug for three adults, but for two people travelling for a long period it is very spacious and comfortable. We have sat out bad weather in it in comfort.

https://rockrun.com/collections/deal/pr ... n-reflex-3

The quilting clips: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pack-of-50-1 ... Xw6Fp4s_mA

A couple of photos of our tent in use on our website: https://www.weirdosonbikes.com/2018/06/14/tents-tarps/
RIP

Post by RIP »

Loads of half price stuff on SportPursuit too - Osprey, togs, etc. http://www.sportpursuit.com
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Cyclepeasant

Post by Cyclepeasant »

Borderer wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:19 am

This is a 3 man, 1kg tent (yes really) with two doors, massive internal space including headroom and a full inner. its a seriously good bit of kit which comes with carbon poles. The only downside we have found is the door closures but there is a solution to that which can be bought on eBay for a fiver - quilting clips (very strong, small and lightweight).

Can you explain the problem please?
Seems a sugarload for a tent with a design fault...or is it?
Ta!
Insanity over vanity
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

First read your site as weirdo son bikes :lol:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

in that vein I always read postierich as

posterior itch till he explained it !
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Cyclepeasant wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:01 pm
Borderer wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:19 am

Can you explain the problem please?
Seems a sugarload for a tent with a design fault...or is it?
Ta!
The outer fly doors don't have zips - they have hook and loop fasteners. The trouble is that in strong winds these come open and flap about. The solution is just to attach a quilting clip to the loop and then it's fine. I believe the doors are designed that way to reduce weight and also to cut down on condensation.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

voodoo_simon wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:07 pm First read your site as weirdo son bikes :lol:
Yeah you are not the first to say that. He is pretty weird right enough.
Cyclepeasant

Post by Cyclepeasant »

Aha!
Thanks Borderer!
Always great to learn stuff!!
Insanity over vanity
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Anyone read the description of the MSR Carbon Reflex on the Rock and Run link? It gives the size of vestibule as 130sq m , big enough for a reasonable sized party. :lol:
oreocereus

Post by oreocereus »

The rockrun product descriptions and tech specs are all over the place. I checked the specs of the sea to summit stuff on the manufacturer website and they have details wrong on nearly all of their listings.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

May the bridges you burn light your way
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

50% off Aussie Grit clothing https://aussiegritapparel.com/

I’ve just bought a couple of gilets and a jersey and They seem very good for the price.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:11 pm Ex-display Sonder: https://alpkit.com/collections/ex-displ ... 6OS,PVXG,1
Ooh, tempting to replace my medium but FK how you order it or quite what's going on with individual bikes. Hey ho :cool:
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

If anybody is teetering on a late in the year foreign bike trip easyJet flights seem to be at normal prices however bikes are only a QUID each way rather than £70.
I've just booked three bike Spaces on for later in the year for the princely sum of £3, hold luggage is only £1 too.
slarge

Post by slarge »

Just hope easyJet are still in business Taylor. I can see a few going under in the next few months.......
RIP

Post by RIP »

....Good. I'm under the Luton flightpath. Could do with a bit of peace and quiet. The last 3 weeks have been bliss. No lumps of frozen piss landing in the garden either (*). I can think of any number of industries that'll get my sympathy after this mess is over but cheapo airlines won't be one of them.

Mr Grumpy.

(*) made that up, but it's still been blissful.
Last edited by RIP on Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

slarge wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:47 pm Just hope easyJet are still in business Taylor. I can see a few going under in the next few months.......
What's the worst that can happen?
We'd booked the flights before insurance companies say they won't cover cv19 related delays/cancellations so we're covered for the bums on seats, worst case is we've lost about £15 in hold baggage and bike fees. If they're still going we've saved about £460 :-bd
slarge

Post by slarge »

Taylor wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:02 pm
slarge wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:47 pm Just hope easyJet are still in business Taylor. I can see a few going under in the next few months.......
What's the worst that can happen?
We'd booked the flights before insurance companies say they won't cover cv19 related delays/cancellations so we're covered for the bums on seats, worst case is we've lost about £15 in hold baggage and bike fees. If they're still going we've saved about £460 :-bd
👍
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

FWIW I have two sets (originals) and I'm considering a 3rd, so I'm a convert.
Colin, I have a set that I’m not using. Your welcome to them (if I can remember where I’ve put them).

Did you get ever them bb mug ‘charity’ band things, I’ll swap yer....
Give the dirt a little room.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

metalheart wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:57 am
FWIW I have two sets (originals) and I'm considering a 3rd, so I'm a convert.
Colin, I have a set that I’m not using. Your welcome to them (if I can remember where I’ve put them).

Did you get ever them bb mug ‘charity’ band things, I’ll swap yer....
Yep. I have yours.
javatime

Post by javatime »

RIP wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:50 pm ....Good. I'm under the Luton flightpath. Could do with a bit of peace and quiet. The last 3 weeks have been bliss. No lumps of frozen piss landing in the garden either (*). I can think of any number of industries that'll get my sympathy after this mess is over but cheapo airlines won't be one of them.

Mr Grumpy.

(*) made that up, but it's still been blissful.
Very timely, just had my rolling contract with a supplier to the aerospace industry cancelled !
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

I got one of those Exped Synmat lites.
Nice quality mat, small and light and kept me bivvying under a bridge in sub-zero temps - woke up with beard iced up!
Would recommend.

Ordered myself a hammock from the link above.
Have a lovely warm spot outside my flat for snoozing away lockdown mornings, but my current hammock isn't the best.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-tuMsAjr0t/
Matt

Post by Matt »

RIP wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:50 pm ....Good. I'm under the Luton flightpath.
Mr Grumpy.
I’ll see your Luton parochial small town airport and raise you, as I like a complete muppet bought a house under the worlds 2nd busiest airport.

And yes it’s been absolute bliss with no air traffic over us.