Bargain Alert Thread

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Re: Bargain Alert Thread

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Olsen bikes have 20% off their site for 3 days - they produce some nice stuff (I especially like the look of the chain rings / cogs). However, my (limited) understanding is that in order to receive the discount code you need to sign up to the newsletter, trouble is, I can't see where to do that.

However, might be useful for those both brighter and more observant than me.

https://olsenbikes.co.uk/
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

When I click on that link, there's a pop up box with the subscription thing.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Good work Colin - that didn't appear for me but now we know :-bd
Boab

Post by Boab »

Might be due to browser privacy settings, as I don't get a pop-up, but I do get Firefox telling me that the site wants to give me notifications...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Just spotted that PX have their Lobster gloves for £7.50. They are warm and 'pretty' waterproof ... certainly worth the current asking price.
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLCARULCR ... RG-XLG-BFY
Boab

Post by Boab »

Alpkit currently have Winter Camping Offers, including discounts on bivy bags, tarps, and what not...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
BobCatMax

Post by BobCatMax »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:54 am Olsen bikes have 20% off their site for 3 days - they produce some nice stuff (I especially like the look of the chain rings / cogs). However, my (limited) understanding is that in order to receive the discount code you need to sign up to the newsletter, trouble is, I can't see where to do that.

However, might be useful for those both brighter and more observant than me.

https://olsenbikes.co.uk/
His bikes are amazing, i love his system for the rear axle. and he doesn't live too far from me.
Image Image
BobCatMax

Post by BobCatMax »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:54 pm Just spotted that PX have their Lobster gloves for £7.50. They are warm and 'pretty' waterproof ... certainly worth the current asking price.
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLCARULCR ... RG-XLG-BFY
I can't wear them in anything more than 0 degrees, they're SO warm. possibly my best budget purchase.
Image Image
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Some very keen prices on Exped mats: https://www.trekitt.co.uk/sleeping-mats ... iscount=19&

Some good discounts on bags too: https://www.trekitt.co.uk/sleeping-bags ... iscount=19&
UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:02 pm Some very keen prices on Exped mats: https://www.trekitt.co.uk/sleeping-mats ... iscount=19&

Some good discounts on bags too: https://www.trekitt.co.uk/sleeping-bags ... iscount=19&
Must. Not. Buy
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Lots in the sale at Evans - Just got a Giro MIPS helmet, Endura bibs and shirt for £90.
Shimano Alfine dynamo hubs at £30 (36 hole)
Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

Water to Go filter bottles as reviewed by Stu £15 in the Evans sale
RIP

Post by RIP »

Raggedstone wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:22 am Water to Go filter bottles as reviewed by Stu £15 in the Evans sale
Gawd that's horribly tempting. 137g. Claims bacteria, viruses AND heavy metals. Sounds a bit too good to be true in fact :wink: . Obv most bottleless filters/purifiers that also claim to do all those are at least as heavy without the bottle. What's the dimensions please Kev? 750ml sounds a bit too chunky for me.

Usual issue of preventing spout contamination when filling, but still...

I don't need yet another water processor... I don't need....
Last edited by RIP on Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
RIP

Post by RIP »

"The filter eliminates up to 99.9999% of all Bacteria, Viruses, Chemicals and Heavy Metals".

What, (as good as) 100% of ALL viruses, chemicals and metals? That's a heck of a claim.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

RIP wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:56 am "The filter eliminates up to 99.9999% of all Bacteria, Viruses, Chemicals and Heavy Metals".

What, (as good as) 100% of ALL viruses, chemicals and metals? That's a heck of a claim.
My mate uses a Water to Go bottle, and he's filled up at the same rank water sources as me when I used either a Sawyer or a Versaflow with no ill effects. I've just pilled the trigger on one anyway...
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Right then!

I'll see your £15 bargain gents, and raise you a £12.99 one with FREE postage! Just call me The Bargain Hunter :smile: .

https://shop.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/o ... 7EALw_wcB

AND it's a sensible 500ml one, none of that 750ml fish tank stuff. AND AND it's got nice 'Ordnance Survey' written all over it. AND AND AND it's bright orange!

One drawback is the filter itself doesn't last that long I suppose.

Erm, before Classifieds gets swamped with Trailshots, Sawyers, Steripens, etc etc, does, er, anyone want a bargain one of any of those?

I hate buying stuff when a previous incarnation hasn't worn out but I can't help this one. I just do not want to hear about any more water processors ever again ok? La, la, la, la, fingers in ears, la, la.

Just got to rebuild my patent gaffer tape & cableties bottle harness to hold this new shape now.....

PS. One review: ""Water bottle,
3 years ago, 2/5 stars.
This bottle squeaks when you drink from it which is embarrassing when you are out in public. Would not recommend". Hardly a bother to us lot presumably - we're not allowed out in public :grin: .
Last edited by RIP on Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

Both of my bikes have only got one set bottle bosses inside the front triangle, so I like to carry a larger bottle when it gets warmer.

I'm hoping to be able to unscrew the filter and use it as a normal bottle with clean water most of the time, and only fitting the filter when using a questionable source of water.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Have read a load more reviews now. The bottle used to be prone to leakage round the spout but apparently that was fixed 2 years ago. Let's hope we don't get the bottom-of-the-drawer ones then :wink: .

Also a review said the bottle isn't squeezable which rather limits its use for water for cooking say. How do you extract the water into a pot? Suck and spit 100 times? I'll reserve judgment until I've tried it.

The filters in the 750 bottles last 200 litres which isn't that much before you end up chucking away a lump of plastic. Slightly more worryingly I'm sure one review said "200 litres or X months". That's pretty useless unless you're on a continuous 2 months long bikepacking jaunt! (*)

I'm sounding like I'm starting to get an attack of buyer remorse now!

PS. Nooo-o-o-o, they're £9.38 on outdoorgb!

(*) edit: "If you drink less water than that, or stop using the bottles for a while, you just have to keep the filter damp. Turn the bottle upside down to keep the filter activated. Throughput of water is the important factor here, not time.". Hmm, ok.
Last edited by RIP on Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

isn't squeezable
It is but it's less so than a standard plastic bottle.
Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

I was about to say the same thing as Stu it is definitely harder to squeeze than a standard bottle but it takes me considerably less effort and time to get 500!l of water from the bottle than when using my Trailshot. I spoke to them about filter life and was told the time limit is with everyday use but is either 130/200 ltrs depending on the size of the bottle . I have been using mine for about a year and use it primarily as a filter so is empty until late in the day when I fill it up for the evening/morning food and drinks that is unless I run out of water in the Camelback.and can't find a tap . I reckon the filter will last for at least two years using it like I do I always took an empty bottle and a separate filter so it saves a bit of space .
I have wondered about not using the filter just the cap when filling from taps and do pour from the bottle if boiling the water from a tap but never sure how long the nasties if present would continue to be nasty in the bottle .
RIP

Post by RIP »

Ta Kev. But do you keep the filter wet so that you don't get hit by the 2 month deadline?

Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

Hi Reg,
I wasn't aware you needed to keep the filter wet I just reactivate it when I swill the bottle out after it has been stored for a while .
Mactheknife68

Post by Mactheknife68 »

Gravel shorts £24.00 at Evans may be of use to someone. They are Olive green.

https://www.evanscycles.com/brand/endur ... e=63025215
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

this must be useful to some one... campy bb bearings...
https://www.evanscycles.com/brand/campa ... e=91042601
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

RIP wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:16 pm Right then!

Erm, before Classifieds gets swamped with Trailshots, Sawyers, Steripens, etc etc, does, er, anyone want a bargain one of any of those?
I'm after a used trailshot.- any condition... I just need it to pump/ syphon... I still have a sawyer filter...
any one? :smile:
RIP wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:16 pm Right then!
I hate buying stuff when a previous incarnation hasn't worn out but I can't help this one. I just do not want to hear about a....
go for it Channel your inner Yorkshire man.. like a Scot but with all the generosity wrung out of 'em.... :grin:
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..