Bargain Alert Thread

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

voodoo_simon

Re: Bargain Alert Thread

Post by voodoo_simon »

woodsmith wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:54 pm
robsmuddygloves wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:24 pm
Rapideye wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:41 pm Polaris have been popular...got my money refunded but no email confirming it was due to lack of stock. Shame.
When did you order from them? I've not received my order or a refund yet, expecting the same as you unfortunately.
ditto
Mine (enduro jacket and bib tights) arrived yesterday, a day later than Royal Mail promised. Not a bad fit either, will have a ride in my bins before commuting to a pair of their bib shorts
Rapideye

Post by Rapideye »

I placed my order on the 2nd of Jan.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I ordered 3 rd Jan but all my stuff was small and they did not have one of them but it has arrived
Vapour top is like a fleece lined windproof jacket and baggy
The windproof jacket is tight roadie fit
The Bibs I got are ok fit wise but only done a 2 hour ride so not sure how the pad will be
Bloody good value at the prices and likely get another set of bin shorts

Not really sure what weather the vapour is for tbh cold Spring /autumn with zero chance of rain ( not really the UK then )
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Not really sure what weather the vapour is for
Mine gets worn on those cold, dry or only damp days.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:22 pm
Not really sure what weather the vapour is for
Mine gets worn on those cold, dry or only damp days.
I wore mine today, 5°c, sleet and hail showers it was fine. With the vents open it doesn't get too hot and it's fine in light showers as the moisture stays on the outer layer and dries as you ride. Needs a shell over it in persistent rain though.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Cheers for the input/ advice
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I had the Vapour on for today's ride. Temperatures hovering between zero and 2c. I had a long-sleeved baselayer on. That worked out pretty much ideal. I suspect it'll see a lot of use.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Outdry jacket £93 in human sizes (not tiny or massive)
https://www.columbiasportswear.co.uk/p/ ... =030&pos=2
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Cheers John, gonna try a large in place of my ever-so-slightly-snug medium.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Bizarrely I could have sworn I bought a new outdry, but I have no idea where I put it.

Can't find any reference to it in my email either. WTF! Especially bizarre as I can literally see one jacket from where I'm sitting (so I should at least have one email)!

Edit - On topic, I do like that one, much better looking than they normally are. Ironically I think I'd need a small as they seem to size up massive.
Teaman

Post by Teaman »

Hi John
I have heard a lot about these coats on this site and just wondered if you or anyone else could please answer a couple of Q's on them for me:
How bulky/weighty are they? Are they like a hard shell (if you know what I mean) without much else?
How breathable? I think one of the criticisms I've read here before is that some of them don't have any venting, although I think this one makes mention of under arm vents?
Thanks.

quote=JohnClimber post_id=281258 time=1641989689 user_id=2075]
Outdry jacket £93 in human sizes (not tiny or massive)
https://www.columbiasportswear.co.uk/p/ ... =030&pos=2
[/quote]
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

They vary, but this particular model is probably comparable in weight/drape to a 2.5 layer Gore-Tex. It's not super breathable, but the armpit vents and mesh lined pockets help a lot.
Possibly because the fabric is on the inside and the waterproof membrane on the outside, i find it doesn't get as clammy as most waterproofs.
It's not got any liner mesh, so a pretty pure hardshell style.
Teaman

Post by Teaman »

Thanks 👍
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

How bulky/weighty are they? - Bigger and heavier and bulkier than super lightweight jackets - Unless it's a Gore ShakeDry there is no better waterproof coat for the weight.

I'm luck I have the Gore Shakedry and the Outdry - If heavy rain is forecast for several hours it's the outdry (bulk and weight doesn't matter as it's on your body) if it's a heavy shower the tiny packing Gore Shakedry comes out to play.

Are they like a hard shell (if you know what I mean) - More like a modern day fishermans sou'wester

How breathable? - Not as breathable as some, but as you are riding it's easy to open the zip as you ride with your head down so your chest stays drier, if it's really heavy rain just ride slower so you don't sweat as much.

It's plodderes waterproof rather than an all out racers waterproof.

Mine was one of the first ones out and it's still as good as new.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

That's the model I have. I'd echo all the John has said. It's sweaty, unless the weather's cold.
Actually, mine's a Reign EX - no pit zips.
I'd have been disappointed with it if I'd paid over £100 (but it was £65 IIRC).
For multi-day trip I would always take the older Montane eVent shell I have.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

For multi-day trip I would always take the older Montane eVent shell I have.
I'm the other way round. Multi-day trips that I know will be continually wet, then Outdry always for me.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Are the outdry jackets as short in the back as the pics make them look?
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

IME yes it's not a cycling cut
Sizing is also erratic I have two smalls one is tight at the waist the other I could wear a putter jacket underneath and still have space
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Mine doesn't seem short (although I am) but there are different models so maybe some are shorter?

EDIT: as John says, they're not a cover your arse cycling cut but they're hardly up to you nipples either :-bd
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Yes won't cover your arse or expose your back either.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Been said before on other threads but I will.happily trade a possible increase in sweatiness (TBF I beat most fabrics) for the almost indestructible DWR properties of Outdry.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

My Outdry has pitzips, it's a dealbreaker for me. I wore mine for whole of the duration of the Winter Event, even when it wasn't raining, which was a good few hours I'd say. The pit zips encourage windflow and also allow sweat out. I run quite hot and sweat easily so would struggle without them

If only Columbia cottoned onto to the notion of providing a guide to the various outdry iterations - how robust, how they're cut, how they differ
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

If only Columbia cottoned onto to the notion of providing a guide to the various outdry iterations - how robust, how they're cut, how they differ
If they did their sales would probably increase and there'd be less overstock for us to pick up at reduced prices. Be careful what you wish for :wink: :wink:
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:53 am
If they did their sales would probably increase and there'd be less overstock for us to pick up at reduced prices. Be careful what you wish for :wink: :wink:
True, but at least we'd buy a jacket that fits and functions as intended :grin:

Quite a few on here have bought a jacket that's too big or too small. Personally, I'd like it if my Outdry had sleeves that were at least an inch longer
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

Quite a few on here have bought a jacket that's too big or too small. Personally, I'd like it if my Outdry had sleeves that were at least an inch longer
I'll cut an inch off mine, for you... :wink: