Bargain Alert Thread

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

sean_iow

Re: Bargain Alert Thread

Post by sean_iow »

I've been impressed with the Vittoria Mezcal

https://www.vittoria.com/ww/en/tyres/mtb-xc/mezcal

I've got the version with the anthracite side-walls. The tan side-wall is the lighter version but I think the weight saving makes them more vulnerable to damage.

Allegedly available with the supplier

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Vittoria-Mezca ... 214402.htm
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
faustus

Post by faustus »

I'll second the Mezcal, have the grey sidewalls in 29x2.6 and really like the mix of fast rolling but good enough all round traction. But as with many things, out of stock for now :roll: Keep an eye on Banana Industries site, they have good prices on Vittoria tyres, when in stock. Got mine for £17 last year!
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

Yes, Vittoria XC tyres from Banana Industries are a right bargain!
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

thenorthwind wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:46 pm
fatbikephil wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:35 pm
thenorthwind wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:07 pm
whitestone wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:17 pm Alpkit have started their Black Friday sale - https://alpkit.com/collections/black-friday. The tarps (on the second page) are good value, I think they are down to the price we paid for them five years ago.
I don't need a tarp.
I don't need a tarp.
I don't need a tarp.
:wink:

Anyone any experience of the MTB trousers? https://alpkit.com/products/floe-trouser-mens-1 I've been looking at some others recently from Nukeproof and Leatt.
You do need a Tarp Dave!
Tredz have the Endura humvee trousers for £45 which are pretty good. https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Endura-Hummvee ... 113416.htm
I have (had) a tiny tarp but somehow I've managed to lose it so...

Cheers for that. Like my Humvee shorts, and they're pretty cheap. But I do like that the Alpkit ones come in separate widths/lengths for the long and thin (me) 🤔
I'm also long and thin and the leg length is spot on
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

My bivvy bag is a lightweight summer one (ti goat kestrel) so not sure if the r.i.g. 3.5 will provide enough coverage but still tempted.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

PaulB2 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:48 pm My bivvy bag is a lightweight summer one (ti goat kestrel) so not sure if the r.i.g. 3.5 will provide enough coverage but still tempted.
I also have a Kestrel and do find the 3.5 sized tarps tend to leave the bag a bit exposed as soon as it's windy (or the wind changes direction). It can result in wind-driven rain getting onto the bag. The 7 is obviously fine.
I actually got an in-between sized (DCF) tarp made up by Marc at Trekkertents.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

My bivvy bag is a lightweight summer one (ti goat kestrel) so not sure if the r.i.g. 3.5 will provide enough coverage but still tempted.[/quote
I find that it will largely depend on how you pitch it.
May the bridges you burn light your way
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

fatbikephil wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:16 am
thenorthwind wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:46 pm
fatbikephil wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:35 pm
thenorthwind wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:07 pm
whitestone wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:17 pm Alpkit have started their Black Friday sale - https://alpkit.com/collections/black-friday. The tarps (on the second page) are good value, I think they are down to the price we paid for them five years ago.
I don't need a tarp.
I don't need a tarp.
I don't need a tarp.
:wink:

Anyone any experience of the MTB trousers? https://alpkit.com/products/floe-trouser-mens-1 I've been looking at some others recently from Nukeproof and Leatt.
You do need a Tarp Dave!
Tredz have the Endura humvee trousers for £45 which are pretty good. https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Endura-Hummvee ... 113416.htm
I have (had) a tiny tarp but somehow I've managed to lose it so...

Cheers for that. Like my Humvee shorts, and they're pretty cheap. But I do like that the Alpkit ones come in separate widths/lengths for the long and thin (me) 🤔
I'm also long and thin and the leg length is spot on
Good to know, ta.
flyingpig

Post by flyingpig »

faustus wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:32 am I'll second the Mezcal, have the grey sidewalls in 29x2.6 and really like the mix of fast rolling but good enough all round traction. But as with many things, out of stock for now :roll: Keep an eye on Banana Industries site, they have good prices on Vittoria tyres, when in stock. Got mine for £17 last year!
Thank you both those look perfect, very similar pattern to my Clement pdx cx tyres which is exactly what I'm after. Will keep eye out for stock
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

flyingpig wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:08 am Narrow for the 29 rims, not used that size before, I'd say 2.1 to 2.4? Max clearance is 2.6 i believe
[Edit: finished off incomplete message]
I've been impressed with wtb ranger if they are still available in. 2.1or 2.25 flavour (high grip light). :-bd
Running as tubeless about 30psi. they roll well and quietly on tarmac, grippy on most surfaces with lots of little 'studs' they are consistent and just gradially loose traction in extreme mud or clay. As tubeless they hold air well better than the Vittoria Barzo and Saguaro I have also tried., in 2.0 and 2.1 sizes..
Attachments
wtb rangers
wtb rangers
IMG_18112021_222903_(600_x_600_pixel).jpg (64.99 KiB) Viewed 2438 times
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

Good PSA on the alpkit tarps.
A while back I bought the bivvy and tarp in red as it matched all the other bikepacking stuff I had form them (tailbag, harness, drybags etc). Didn't really think it through - a bright red bivvy and tarp isn't too stealthy.
So got a green tarp coming and should be able to shift my red one for the same-ish money making it free to change. Green bivvy bags out of stock through
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

yourguitarhero wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:51 am Good PSA on the alpkit tarps.
A while back I bought the bivvy and tarp in red as it matched all the other bikepacking stuff I had form them (tailbag, harness, drybags etc). Didn't really think it through - a bright red bivvy and tarp isn't too stealthy.
So got a green tarp coming and should be able to shift my red one for the same-ish money making it free to change. Green bivvy bags out of stock through
Get a camo net instead.. or go commando, :-bd
errm, I met bivvigbag-less :lol:

(.. he goes off to hide in the cellar...)
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

fatbikephil wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:35 pm You do need a Tarp Dave!
Turns out I did :roll:

Um'd and ah'd about, decided to wait till today when I could pop into the shop in Gateshead and look at the trews, even though they didn't have any tarps in stock there, or trousers in my size, just to avoid ordering twice. Saw that they were sold out online this morning :sad: Tried on some trousers, and asked about tarps - they didn't have any, but they have a couple on the way, one of which now has my name on it :grin: They even said they'd post it out for me if I can't pick it up.

I make my life way more difficult than it needs to be with indecision :roll:
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Various useful tyres on Wiggle - Ardents, High Rollers etc, plus 3" WTB Bridgers for a tenner (listed elsewhere on the site as OEM) https://www.wiggle.co.uk/wtb-bridger-tc ... lling-tyre

EDIT _ Ikons too and 700c WTB Resolutes.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Magicshine Monteer 3500 badged up as Olights for £99 but you'll have to wait a bit...

https://www.olightstore.uk/olight-rn-35 ... yUrjHofG2c
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

boxelder wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:07 pm Various useful tyres on Wiggle - Ardents, High Rollers etc, plus 3" WTB Bridgers for a tenner (listed elsewhere on the site as OEM) https://www.wiggle.co.uk/wtb-bridger-tc ... lling-tyre

Cheers. Been wanting to try some Resolutes and they're much more affordable that usual.
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

boxelder wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:07 pm Various useful tyres on Wiggle - Ardents, High Rollers etc, plus 3" WTB Bridgers for a tenner (listed elsewhere on the site as OEM) https://www.wiggle.co.uk/wtb-bridger-tc ... lling-tyre

Looks like black only? If anyone wants a 650b / 27.5 skinwall Ikon, mine is still available.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Also 29+ Rangers for £42
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Perhaps the wrong time of year but anyone looking for an uninsulated summer mat - Exped airmat lite for half price (£35)

https://www.tamarackoutdoors.co.uk/PBSC ... D=36512478
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

slarge

Post by slarge »

Aldi have a Ferrex bandsaw in at £149.99 - cuts up to 120mm thick timber. No idea if it's any good but for occasional use it's probably a bargain
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

slarge wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:24 pm Aldi have a Ferrex bandsaw in at £149.99 - cuts up to 120mm thick timber. No idea if it's any good but for occasional use it's probably a bargain
hope it works out for you.
10 years ago Lidl (and I suppose Aldi as well), power tools were made in Germany, by the 'as was' GDR companies catering for a lower price point so still good (not top) quality at reasonable prices. now they seam to be the usual Chinesium build quality :wink: .
slarge

Post by slarge »

ledburner wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:50 pm
slarge wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:24 pm Aldi have a Ferrex bandsaw in at £149.99 - cuts up to 120mm thick timber. No idea if it's any good but for occasional use it's probably a bargain
hope it works out for you.
10 years ago Lidl (and I suppose Aldi as well), power tools were made in Germany, by the 'as was' GDR companies catering for a lower price point so still good (not top) quality at reasonable prices. now they seam to be the usual Chinesium build quality :wink: .
I haven't bought one - I'd like a bandsaw but not yet ready to spend money on one. Just posted as an info for others. I'm not surprised that it is possibly cheap n nasty - it seems the only way to get really cheap stuff is via the less good factories in China.... :sad:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I bought a Lidl bandsaw a couple of years ago (albeit named differently) and it was rubbish - in fact bits snapped / fell off as I was putting it together. I then bought a small Scheppach and while I'm under no illusions that it too is likely made in China, it's very good (especially once you replace the blade with something better) ... quality of the saw is far better than the first one for not much more money.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

£85 chainsaw from Lidl is working nicely - Oregon blade etc.