Bargain Alert Thread

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikephil

Re: Bargain Alert Thread

Post by fatbikephil »

sean_iow wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:02 am I've got one of the folding mugs and have never had any issues drinking from it. As with many products, the users lack of manual dexterity and cognitive function is sometimes dressed up as a design fault, when the truth is they are just bumpkins* who shouldn't be let loose with anything more technical than a potato.

I like mine, it's just about the same diameter an Alpkit 650 pot so sits nicely on top in a bag on the downtube.

*Not aimed at anyone on here, I'm sure you're all more than capable of operating a mug.
Yep that's me in a nutshell - so far not scalded myself just spilt 1/4 of a pint. I think that as they are quite 'floppy' I actually take a bit more care when using it which is probably why I've not had many mishaps. I use waldo cup as well and they are great, but a bit small for my tea capacity
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

sean_iow wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:02 am As with many products, the users lack of manual dexterity and cognitive function is sometimes dressed up as a design fault, when the truth is they are just bumpkins* who shouldn't be let loose with anything more technical than a potato.
See also;

Brake bleeding
Tyre fitting
Tubeless set-up
etc
etc
etc

:-bd
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

fatbikephil wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:02 pm Yep that's me in a nutshell - so far not scalded myself just spilt 1/4 of a pint. I think that as they are quite 'floppy' I actually take a bit more care when using it which is probably why I've not had many mishaps. I use waldo cup as well and they are great, but a bit small for my tea capacity
To be fair, the base is quite narrow so more care is needed. I've never knocked mine over but I did once kick my full ti mug which resulted in the total loss of my coffee :sad:

I'm not immune to cognitive failure, I still can't seem to pitch my Deschutes without the front being way off the ground, a distance of about 400mm to the bottom of the zip from ground level. I'm shortly going to buy a new motor so I might make the 1000 mile round trip to yours so you can show me how it's done properly :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

sean_iow wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:38 pm I still can't seem to pitch my Deschutes without the front being way off the ground, a distance of about 400mm to the bottom of the zip from ground level.
Is that not how it is designed? That's certainly how my Lunar Solo works.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Is that not how it is designed?
I think so.
May the bridges you burn light your way
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Ah, that might explain it. When I see pictures of them the look like their closer to the ground at the front than mine but maybe it's just the angle the photo is taken from?

I have a lawn like a pin cushion from trying to get it lower :lol:

benp1

Post by benp1 »

Have been using one of those S2S collapsible mugs for years, it's ace. I boil water in my Ti mug and then make coffee in the S2S mug. I have the slightly posher seal and go version, which has a surprisingly good lid. It can be tricky to undo it if you do it up too much, but it's ace and fits the GSI ultralight java drip really well
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

ScotRoutes wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:48 pm
sean_iow wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:38 pm I still can't seem to pitch my Deschutes without the front being way off the ground, a distance of about 400mm to the bottom of the zip from ground level.
Is that not how it is designed? That's certainly how my Lunar Solo works.
I know what Sean means - If I just throw mine up the back always ends up close to or on the ground and the front in the air - not actually a bad thing if the wind is coming from the rear. I realised you can tilt the whole thing forward so its an even height all round. Seems to be all about the placing of the rear peg when you first lay it out and peg down. Even now I often have to do some peg re-placement to get it right.
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

From the looks of that photo, if you want the front lower you would need a shorter pole.

You could make it narrower which would allow the sides to come down.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Gatewood is similar. Quite elevated at the front. Well it is the way I pitch it. I really like it like that - plenty of ventilation and easy to see out of while you're snoozing there.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

:mrgreen:
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Mine is like yours Phil!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Do you have your pole angled forwards there Phil?
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Looking on the SMD website they have the pole at quite an angle.

It's never let me down and pitched with the back into the wind any rain doesn't come under the front. It's always just puzzled me that mine never looks like other peoples do when pitched :???:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Trouble is, you don't know what length that pole's set at. Could well be longer and angled to provide more internal space ... but remember kids, an angled pole places more stress on the pole and sometimes make a taut pitch harder to achieve.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Yours looks just like mine Sean. We sound like two eight-year olds comparring something important behind the bike sheds :lol: . I also always use the two side lifters, makes a huge difference but feels like cheating for some reason. Just need to remember to pick up a couple of sticks at the spot, to prop the lines up with. Tisn't meant to be a tent is it - take a tent - so no need to get the front down.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Ti frame for £450 (£500 minus the ‘join the club 10% discount incentive’)

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRTITLM/t ... moto-frame
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:22 am Do you have your pole angled forwards there Phil?
Usually slightly backwards and that pitch was after a 14 hr day on my failed 2019 ht attempt

My pitch last night was a bit more like Sean's. I'll blame the pint in aboyne :grin:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Endura MT500 Spray shorts - £45 (44% discount) at Leisure Lakes.

https://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/cloth ... ss__345176

I really like these shorts as they're not too heavy, pretty breathable and have the waterproof arse. My old pair lasted 5 years of (ab)use. Only cheap in the "Moss" colour but it looks OK IRL.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Foldable mug and matching bowl arrived today, in a 'lose me not' orange. No problem at all with drinking from it, but how the hell do you dangle it off the saddle :???:
godivatrailrider

Post by godivatrailrider »

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBOOBZ29S ... cking-bike
And I seem to get offered 10% off if I subscribe… might not extend to bikes 🤷🏼‍♂️ But for someone just wanting to get into bikepacking it’s defo a bargain !
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

boxelder wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 7:26 pm Foldable mug and matching bowl arrived today, in a 'lose me not' orange. No problem at all with drinking from it, but how the hell do you dangle it off the saddle :???:
Email stu durectly. He might be able to help :-bd
L2R24

Post by L2R24 »

https://alpkit.com/products/stem-cell-2021
Alpkit have a tenner off their new-style stem cell cockpit bag. I picked one up a few months back and think its an improvement over the original. £24.99 seems a fair price...
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

Go Outdoors in Blackburn have at least 30% off RRP on everything in store, bikes, everything

Kid also got an extra 20% for her DofE card
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

The Le Col Strava reward vouchers for £50 work for their " archive sale" items if the order value tops £100

Still not cheap, but arguably good value

Free p&p if you sign up to the mailing list