Bargain Alert Thread

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Re: Bargain Alert Thread

Post by redefined_cycles »

Lazarus wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:12 pm
I'll see your £15 bargain gents, and raise you a £12.99 one with FREE postage! Just call me The Bargain Hunter :smile: .

https://shop.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/o ... 7EALw_wcB
I ordered this and they delivered the filters WITHOUT the bottle - which is not what the website says - awaiting a reply from customer services re this and RIP who led me up ths garden path :wink:
I say you use Reg. There's a lawyer (pronounced laiyer in Pakistani-Yorkshire accent) called Jane I think that might be able to assist. Can be found on the f.f.s. thread.
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
jobro

Post by jobro »

Eh? So they've sent you my bottle then?! This is all a bit much :wink: .
And mine!! I'm currently of the two filters no bottle brigade. They asked me to send the filters back via Freeport.
Cheddar Man

Post by Cheddar Man »

I don't know if this will work for everyone, as it isn't an advertised offer, but......

I went into Evans to buy a new light, and had my eye on the Exposure Strada SB. So in I went and was ready for the shock of the price, but £300 made me almost faint. Anyway, the chap scanned it and it came up as £149.00, so half price. He checked again and it was still £149 which is what I paid and I nearly ran out of the door!

If you want one of those lights, it may be worth going in and seeing if the reduction is company wide and get a half price blinder :-bd
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Cheddar Man wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:22 pm I don't know if this will work for everyone, as it isn't an advertised offer, but......

I went into Evans to buy a new light, and had my eye on the Exposure Strada SB. So in I went and was ready for the shock of the price, but £300 made me almost faint. Anyway, the chap scanned it and it came up as £149.00, so half price. He checked again and it was still £149 which is what I paid and I nearly ran out of the door!

If you want one of those lights, it may be worth going in and seeing if the reduction is company wide and get a half price blinder :-bd
Ooooh, good PSA - Joysticks and MaxD are half price - https://www.evanscycles.com/bike-access ... 5EExposure
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

Evans have a few Ortlieb seatpacks for £50 in their sale. Pick medium and grey options
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I've just ordered a Water To Go* bottle from Evans.

(*and an indoor-specific jersey. Please don't hate me.)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

*and an indoor-specific jersey. Please don't hate me.
I'll bite ... what makes in indoor specific?
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Lighter weight, mesh fabric.
Nae pockets.
Full length zip.
Can be washed at 60c to help kill bacteria.

But mostly it has the slogan "Going Nowhere Fast" emblazoned across it in large letters.
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

ScotRoutes wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:47 pm Lighter weight, mesh fabric.
Nae pockets.
Full length zip.

But mostly it has the slogan "Going Nowhere Fast" emblazoned across it in large letters.
Nae jersey, at all, surely...

Lighter
Cooler
Cheaper
Also nae pockets (does a belly button count?)
No logos (unless you have a BB tattoo)
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

belugabob wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:50 pm
Nae pockets.
Full length zip.

Nae jersey, at all, surely...
None of my family/neighbours need to see that. :lol:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Nae pockets.
Full length zip.

Ah,

Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

whitestone wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:07 pm
Nae pockets.
Full length zip.

Ah,

That would have been my next reference...
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

My last comment applies :lol:
bluebus200

Post by bluebus200 »

HEADS UP....EVANS HAVANT STORE IS CLOSING DOWN. CURRENTLY 20% OF EVERYTHING AND THAT INCLUDES THINGS ALREADY DISCOUNTED.
godivatrailrider

Post by godivatrailrider »

bluebus200 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:47 pm HEADS UP....EVANS HAVANT STORE IS CLOSING DOWN. CURRENTLY 20% OF EVERYTHING AND THAT INCLUDES THINGS ALREADY DISCOUNTED.
Presumably you have to go to Havant ...
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

godivatrailrider wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:53 am
bluebus200 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:47 pm HEADS UP....EVANS HAVANT STORE IS CLOSING DOWN. CURRENTLY 20% OF EVERYTHING AND THAT INCLUDES THINGS ALREADY DISCOUNTED.
Presumably you have to go to Havant ...
where's that then? I haven't a clue :grin:
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Tomwoodbury

Post by Tomwoodbury »

Ergon grips being discounted quite well on CRC
AlexGold

Post by AlexGold »

Raggedstone wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:46 pm it is definitely harder to squeeze than a standard bottle but it takes me considerably less effort and time to get 500ml of water from the bottle than when using my Trailshot.
Bumping for advice as I bought this: https://shop.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/os-fi ... ttle-75cl/

....and it's literally unsqueezable, like the plastic is rock hard and it'd likely snap even if I had the vicelike grip required to squeeze it!

The goal is to use it on WRT, so it'll be used to fill pots etc so not just to drink out of (which is easy as it has a pressure relieving little straw to enable this)

I thought 'ah no problem, I'll just screw it on another water bottle' but it's the same diameter but slightly different thread to every water bottle I have!

Is there any way round this, or alternatively if I just use this one to drink from does anyone know if this one is more squeezable?: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0816XB51D/ ... _lig_dp_it
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Yes, the one you've linked on Amazon is squeezable. I didn't realise the OS bottle was different and was wondering what all the fuss was about.

This link http://watertogo.refr.cc/andywilliamson will get you 20% discount off any order over £20, according to a recent email.

I use the 75cl active https://watertogo.eu/product/75cl-active-bottle/
AlexGold

Post by AlexGold »

Great stuff, got a second bottle that will do the job, another filter and a decent price. Thanks Andy!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Anyone looking for a mall rucksack / backpack might be interested in the Nano packs here: https://www.gaynors.co.uk/gregory-m304 I've got the larger of the two and it's ideal for a day walk or even a summer overnighter. Very well made with some nice touches.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Evans are selling that 75cl bottle for £15. I bought one last week.
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

What's the attraction of the watertogo bottles given their short lifespan compared to sawyers etc, is it just ease of use?

Just curious incase I'm missing out
AlexGold

Post by AlexGold »

Shewie wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:06 am What's the attraction of the watertogo bottles given their short lifespan compared to sawyers etc, is it just ease of use?

Just curious incase I'm missing out
Ease of use for me, plus the fact I used my Sawyer twice and it jammed solid - so no cheaper overall!* Having drunk from the W2G bottle, the flow is much better. Hopefully that means it still actually filters!

*this may be due to living in a hard water area and making the problem worse by rinsing it out after getting back from a trip (hence it getting jammed with limescale)
RIP

Post by RIP »

Still not got to the bottom of the issue that the W2G filter has a 2 month 'timer' before replacement is 'required'. Obviously useless unless you're using it several times a day.

Filters are not cheap - replacement every 2 months will set you back £60 or more a year! Bit pricey if only used every BaM :wink: .

Some say you can 'suspend' the timer by drying the filter out then reactivating it for 20 mins next time you want to use it. I emailed them about this but never got a reply.

Having given up after OS I then got one from some fishing website for a tenner with discount. Mine is just about squeezable.
Last edited by RIP on Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster