Bargain Alert Thread

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

thenorthwind

Re: Bargain Alert Thread

Post by thenorthwind »

Landslide wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:05 pm Spacemaker sale now on at Alpkit.
Annoying that a lot of the women's stuff 50% off but the equivalent men's stuff is 25% off or thereabouts. I don't think it's going to do much to tip the balance of historical gender inequality, but it's mildly irritating. Maybe it's deliberate ploy to encourage female participation in the outdoors, knowing Alpkit - in which case, fair play to them.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

thenorthwind wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:20 pm
Annoying that a lot of the women's stuff 50% off but the equivalent men's stuff is 25% off or thereabouts. I don't think it's going to do much to tip the balance of historical gender inequality, but it's mildly irritating. Maybe it's deliberate ploy to encourage female participation in the outdoors, knowing Alpkit - in which case, fair play to them.
Yeah but nah .......... they're clearing out sheilas' kit cos it's not selling like blokes' kit. Fair enough.

Something people with all types of genitalia might appreciate : Pipedream 200 for just £100. Get in you lot.

https://alpkit.com/products/pipedream-200
I'm just going outside ...
directdrive

Post by directdrive »

Landslide wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:43 pm Might be worth asking nicely if they'll refund the difference?
Or, order another, return the full price one.
Have done so. Can't hurt. Returning and buying again just results in more postage costs for me and them so fingers x'd.

In fairness, still a cracking bag at full price.
Hamish

Post by Hamish »

TheBrownDog wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:34 pm
Yeah but nah .......... they're clearing out sheilas' kit cos it's not selling like blokes' kit. Fair enough.

Something people with all types of genitalia might appreciate : Pipedream 200 for just £100. Get in you lot.

The sleeping bag is tempting... but given that I sleep in a (albeit quite worn) pipe dream 4 season bag in the summer I wonder if it’s enough!! I am not usually fussy about the cold but maybe I’m getting soft.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Riding shirt, sun gegs and a quilt (for the van) ordered. :-bd
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Aldi have got some stojo silicon folding 12oz mugs (150gms) £5ish

Like these though in red and white https://stojo.co/products/12-oz-cup
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Richpips wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:25 pm Aldi have got some stojo silicon folding 12oz mugs (150gms) £5ish

Not listed on their Web page, rebranded?
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
RIP

Post by RIP »

40% off OS works of art at https://dash4it.co.uk/. Code ORD40.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Hamish wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:55 pm
TheBrownDog wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:34 pm

The sleeping bag is tempting... but given that I sleep in a (albeit quite worn) pipe dream 4 season bag in the summer I wonder if it’s enough!! I am not usually fussy about the cold but maybe I’m getting soft.
They are very thin. A good bag for high summer or hot countries I reckon, but not much more.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

ledburner wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:11 am
Richpips wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:25 pm Aldi have got some stojo silicon folding 12oz mugs (150gms) £5ish

Not knock offs. Oh, and they were reduced to £4 yesterday.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Richpips wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:43 pm
ledburner wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:11 am

Not knock offs. Oh, and they were reduced to £4 yesterday.
...and thanks again. Walked to my local Aldi and they had loads at £4 a pop, got a couple.

I'll also try and encourage more people to get these for rides. Single-use coffee cups annoy the hell out of me, and while I refuse to use them, a lot of people seem to think they're fine if you're out cycling because you couldn't possibly carry a cup with you on a bike. Obviously worse at the moment with only takeaway allowed. TLS is great, but not if it means adding to the single-use plastic mountain instead. /Rant
Gari

Post by Gari »

I would agree, I take a “keep” cup on rides with me for coffee stops.
Problem is, at the moment non of the places I use will fill my cup as they don’t want to handle peoples cups with the Covid thing. Not sure how long that’s going to last, well beyond re opening in some cases I suspect:(
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Gari wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:39 pm I would agree, I take a “keep” cup on rides with me for coffee stops.
Problem is, at the moment non of the places I use will fill my cup as they don’t want to handle peoples cups with the Covid thing. Not sure how long that’s going to last, well beyond re opening in some cases I suspect:(
I had something similar when using my BB coffee mug at one particular shop, well before Covid, the mug wouldn't fit under the machine so they'd use a throwaway cup then pour it into mine! Some were a bit more savvy and would use one of the proper cups then pour it into mine. Maybe ask them to do that - they don't have to handle your cup and you don't have to handle theirs and there's no single use cups being used. :-bd
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Gari wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:39 pm I would agree, I take a “keep” cup on rides with me for coffee stops.
That hasn't been my experience - a few places have refused, but the majority haven't even questioned it (and I've done a fair bit of sampling!). I'm always careful to point out I understand if they're not comfortable doing it. Even the chains are getting on board - tend to avoid them, but went to Pret when it was all that was open and they accept your cup and sanitise it/their hands. My local coffee shop has the best solution - you put your cup on the counter, they pull the shot into a jug and pour it in, add water/milk as required: no contact necessary.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

thenorthwind wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:52 pm ....
My local coffee shop has the best solution - you put your cup on the counter, they pull the shot into a jug and pour it in, add water/milk as required: no contact necessary.
Just more stuff to wash up (heating water, detergents etc) :wink:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Going fairly off-topic here (since when has that ever stopped anything? :roll: ), there's been a move away from single use coffee cups for a few years now, maybe Covid will be another shift in that move? Like Dave and I say: bring your cup, place on counter, they fill it from whatever they put the shot into. Given that many of the chains sell their own reusable coffee mugs anyway (and also offer a small discount for using one) it's not a big leap.

What is annoying are some of the auto machines that offer two cup sizes. The BB coffee mug is "regular" volume but externally it's "large" because it's insulated, the machine has a sensor and won't let you use the wrong sized cup. The only way round it is to take one of the "regular" cups, put it in the base, press OK then swap out for yours ~X(
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

whitestone wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:21 pm Going fairly off-topic here (since when has that ever stopped anything? :roll: ), there's been a move away from single use coffee cups for a few years now, maybe Covid will be another shift in that move? Like Dave and I say: bring your cup, place on counter, they fill it from whatever they put the shot into. Given that many of the chains sell their own reusable coffee mugs anyway (and also offer a small discount for using one) it's not a big leap.
The only "chain" coffee place near us is click-and-collect, via their app. There's no opportunity for them handling your cup. Given all of the other restrictions, this seems like a sensible move.

Getting further off-topic, did you know that it's an offence for a barman/woman to refill your beer glass in Scotland but not in England?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Pretty sure that they, pubs/bars/bar staff, aren't allowed to do it in England and Wales either - not had a glass refilled in maybe thirty years now, always been a fresh glass. Way back in the day I used to say just to refill the glass but they said they'd been told not to for health reasons.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

getting dangeroulsy back on topic none of those cups in my local [ well to work] Aldi
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

whitestone wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:17 pm Pretty sure that they, pubs/bars/bar staff, aren't allowed to do it in England and Wales either - not had a glass refilled in maybe thirty years now, always been a fresh glass. Way back in the day I used to say just to refill the glass but they said they'd been told not to for health reasons.
Yeah, it might not be "law" but we were strictly forbidden to follow a request to "pop a half in there" when I did bar work during uni holidays 25 years ago. Always into a fresh glass for the customer to pour in if they wanted to.

However we would get quite a few punters who'd drink 3/4 pint and ask for a half in the original glass in order to get a freebie! :lol:
shutuplegs

Post by shutuplegs »

It’s pretty standard at beer festivals and the like to keep the same glass all day. Some people ask for you to give it a rinse, that’s usually earlier on in the day, once passed a certain point people don’t seem to mind so much...
“We live and learn, and big mountains are stern teachers” - HW Tilman.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:18 pm
thenorthwind wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:52 pm ....
My local coffee shop has the best solution - you put your cup on the counter, they pull the shot into a jug and pour it in, add water/milk as required: no contact necessary.
Just more stuff to wash up (heating water, detergents etc) :wink:
Not really, they're using the jug to froth milk, etc. anyway so it's getting regularly rinsed. But I see your :wink:
whitestone wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:21 pmmaybe Covid will be another shift in that move?
Seems to be the opposite to me - a small excuse not to bother with a reusable cup and most people seem to take that as a cue not to bother. Disposable cup use must have gone through the roof in the last year, leading to spectacular views like this:

Maybe you haven't seen the impact yet where you are Bob? Perhaps people wait a certain period of time before throwing the cup out of their car window into a hedgerow? I don't know what the thought process is so maybe :sad:

On a more positive note, generally we are (or were) going in the right direction, possibly in part due to people like me being awkward buggers

I've been refused a refill in the same glass in a pub before too, pretty common here even if not law I think. But the student brewery at the university do (or did) regular events outside my office and I used to take a glass rather than use the plastic glasses. Come to think of it, it's a beer festival half-pint glass that I keep on my desk - generally at beer festivals you get a glass in return for a returnable deposit, been that way forever, so either there are different laws outside pubs or it's just not law in England. Never been to a beer festival in Scotland.

Edit: shutuplegs beat me to it :smile:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

shutuplegs wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:49 pm It’s pretty standard at beer festivals and the like to keep the same glass all day. Some people ask for you to give it a rinse, that’s usually earlier on in the day, once passed a certain point people don’t seem to mind so much...
Same for rum festivals, though I always rinse my glass as somewhat less of the liquid so more chance to interfere with the taste between samples!

Not only that, but it's quite sensible to get a shot of water between each shot of spirits! :lol:
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

thenorthwind wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:59 pm
whitestone wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:21 pmmaybe Covid will be another shift in that move?
Seems to be the opposite to me - a small excuse not to bother with a reusable cup and most people seem to take that as a cue not to bother. Disposable cup use must have gone through the roof in the last year, leading to spectacular views like this:
Well I'm speachless.. shocked and stunned..
what's the country coming to? x(

Don't they learn them any thing at school now a days. X_X :-O

Really Its barely a bin full.
if they only could be bothered to stack cups :d
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Exped Downmat Lite S ... £50 but there's only 1.
https://www.tamarackoutdoors.co.uk/PBSC ... D=34736403
May the bridges you burn light your way