Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Alh14

Re: Bargain Alert Thread

Post by Alh14 »

voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Alh14 wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:53 am Marin Pine Mountain.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mar ... prod186798
Rumour has it that Marin won’t do warranty on these bikes, might be worth posing the question to Marin (rather than CRC). I could be mistaken though :roll:
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Not 100% sure these are bargains but it's the cheapest I could find them
Just bought a gatewood Cape for £123 delivered
And if mike and Mr barter are still interested in the deschutes plus they are coming in at £163 delivered
All from backpacking light.dk
Edit ,don't forget to change to GBP as mike's just nearly paid a extra £14 if it was on PayPal's exchange rate
Last edited by middleagedmadness on Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP

Post by RIP »

ooh, I'm a bit jealous there Stu, what brought that on then?
Last edited by RIP on Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
middleagedmadness

RIP wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:19 pm ooh, I'm a bit jealous there Stu, what brought that on then?
Had a couple of extra quid spare this month reg and thought I'd spend it on something I'm gonna use instead of trying the 12 pubs in 1/2 mile again with the wife as I only got a bad head and possibly hepatitis out of a couple of the pubs :lol:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bring it next time chap - would like to see you ride in it in 'cape mode' :smile: . (Good grief wot sort of pubs do you frequent round there?)
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

jameso

Post by jameso »

voodoo_simon wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:08 am
Alh14 wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:53 am Marin Pine Mountain.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mar ... prod186798
Rumour has it that Marin won’t do warranty on these bikes, might be worth posing the question to Marin (rather than CRC). I could be mistaken though :roll:
I expect so, as that's not something either Marin or CRC can legally do.
middleagedmadness

RIP wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:27 pm Bring it next time chap - would like to see you ride in it in 'cape mode' :smile: . (Good grief wot sort of pubs do you frequent round there?)
Was planning on bringing it in September and the pubs well there's a couple of nice ones but there's a few where you can be standing next to a horse at the bar :lol: bit they are the better ones for the craic can't beat yapping with drunk travellers
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

middleagedmadness wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:30 pm Not 100% sure these are bargains but it's the cheapest I could find them
And if mike and Mr barter are still interested in the deschutes plus they are coming in at £163 delivered
Ooh, got all excited there as I've been fancying a Lunar Solo to replace my Trekkertent for a while. The Lunar Solo is only a few quid cheaper than Ultralight OutdoorGear though so I'll just have to be patient. I could be slightly tempted by the Deschutes Plus though. Hmmm. :???:
middleagedmadness

Was originally looking at the deschutes but £40 difference is food and some beer on a night out for a similar shelter (or is it being a tight fisted black country lad :wink: )
RIP

Post by RIP »

'drunk travellers' - hang on, that's us isn't it or am I getting confused again? I often think I 'need' one of them there shaped tarps but I always back off when I remember that my nice flattie is the ultimate in purity, simplicity and flexibility (*) (**)

Oh, and in a bit of conversational gymnastics while we're on, 'bout time you started finkin' 'bout the Winter Bivvy, assuming we're descending on you again - it's only 4 months away :wink: .

(*) winner of today's BP Elitist Load Of Old Twaddle Award :smile: (***)

(**) come to think of it those would be interesting names if I had three daughters! Hmm, maybe not.

(***) then again, nah, it's just the truth :grin: .

Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

middleagedmadness wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:04 pm Was originally looking at the deschutes but £40 difference is food and some beer on a night out for a similar shelter (or is it being a tight fisted black country lad :wink: )
I think I've been getting mixed up, I thought the Deschutes and Lunar Solo were longer than the Gatewood but they're not. I'm just on 6 feet tall and thought I'd need the extra length (I sleep on a NeoAIr XLite). I'm now wondering whether a Gatewood Cape combined with my Borah bivvy would do the job better than a Lunar Solo.
RIP

Post by RIP »

interested if there's any particular reason why you'd have the bivvy bag as well as the cape? The Gatewood boast is that it offers '360deg protection'. Must admit I'm impressed it comes in at under 300g - there must be a big hole in it somewhere :smile: . (sorry, going off-thread now..)

middleagedmadness

That's exactly my set up now borah A67 Bivi , gatewood but I use a exped ul7 , hoping this is gonna be my set up for a while ,don't like changing things as long as they work :-bd
Was looking to a Luna solo but asked stu if the Cape can be set up ok on slanty ground and he said it was just like a tarp
middleagedmadness

Bugs reg ,you know I f@cking hate bugs
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

middleagedmadness wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:42 pm Bugs reg ,you know I f@cking hate bugs
Yes, same here (I live in the west of Scotland), plus added splash protection for my down bag.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

middleagedmadness wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:41 pm That's exactly my set up now borah A67 Bivi , gatewood but I use a exped ul7 , hoping this is gonna be my set up for a while ,don't like changing things as long as they work :-bd
Was looking to a Luna solo but asked stu if the Cape can be set up ok on slanty ground and he said it was just like a tarp
How tall are you MAM (if that's not too personal a question to ask)? :oops: :smile:
RIP

Post by RIP »

'Scotland' - ah right, fair enough, say no more :smile: .

middleagedmadness

Jurassic wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:57 pm
middleagedmadness wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:41 pm That's exactly my set up now borah A67 Bivi , gatewood but I use a exped ul7 , hoping this is gonna be my set up for a while ,don't like changing things as long as they work :-bd
How tall are you MAM (if that's not too personal a question to ask)? :oops: :smile:
5.9ish and nearly the same girth wise :lol:
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

middleagedmadness wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:07 pm
Jurassic wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:57 pm
5.9ish and nearly the same girth wise :lol:
Ta. :-bd I'm somewhat concerned about usable length in these shelters as it's something that's caused me to get rid of tent/shelters in the past. It's pretty easy to end up with a soggy down bag if you get the calculations wrong (I know this from bitter experience). Still the price of the Gatewood is very attractive.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

After much deliberation I've ordered a Gatewood Cape as well. I think (hope) it'll tick all the boxes for me. Trekkertent Stealth 1 to appear in classifieds section shortly............
middleagedmadness

Looks like Stu may be cutting some more pole extenders
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Some cheap(er) Salsa Cutthroats at Keep Pedalling.

http://www.keeppedalling.co.uk/sale/
May the bridges you burn light your way
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

middleagedmadness wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:30 pm Not 100% sure these are bargains but it's the cheapest I could find them
Edit ,don't forget to change to GBP as mike's just nearly paid a extra £14 if it was on PayPal's exchange rate
Thanks for this, just got the last green one. I've been looking at the Gatewood Cape for a while, and as I got some birthday money yesterday, it seemed that the stars were aligned. :grin:
May satan walk with you
RobLyon

Post by RobLyon »

Ghyllside cycles have a salsa deadwood frame in the window 1600 down from 2700. Its a sand sort of colour but not sure on size.