Bargain Alert Thread

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Re: Bargain Alert Thread

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The ones that Dee has are less 'bin-bag' and they have a more matt finish, so much less 'fetish club' look.
May the bridges you burn light your way
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

I realise that Garmin GPS's are a bit marmite on here, I've been using the Edge Explore for about 3 years and if you can find a work around the delicate micro USB port, the advantages of wireless transfer of routes from Strava, Komoot and Wikiloc and decent screen size make this a bit of a bargain.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Touchsc ... B07DX231ST
trogladytes

Post by trogladytes »

pistonbroke wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:10 pm if you can find a work around the delicate micro USB port,
Just out of interest, did you find a way around this?
I love mine, but it's fairly new and I'm concerned that will be a problem.
It is a good price, I think I paid the same (eBay)but it didn't come with out front mount, just the elastic bar mount.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

I happened to have a 90° angled short USB lead which I have permenently attached to the port on the back of the unit with very carefully applied epoxy resin glue. I plug this into my power bank on long, multi day rides and charge the power bank with a dynamo. This limits the types of mount you can use due to the 1/4 turn attachment but the Garmin one and the cheaper SRAM branded ones work ok. Not ideal but it hasn't let me down (so far) and a quarter of the price of an Edge 1030 plus charge unit.
trogladytes

Post by trogladytes »

Thanks Pistonbroke, I'm going to look for one of those leads :-bd
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Richard G

Post by Richard G »

That's the cable I use. To be honest, I've not found them particularly delicate anyway, as long as you're not literally trying to smash the cable in.
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

Mmm that looks a bit of a bargain especially as it transfers rides wireless and that's the biggest bug bare I have with garmins
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

I bought an edge explore in November and have had issues with the device misreporting remaining battery life - its a well documented issue with these devices that Garmin don’t seem to have been able to sort. I’ve sent 2 devices back for the same issue - hoping it’s third time lucky with the latest.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I'll admit I've never seen mine go below 75% but then again since I got it I've never done over 4/5 hours in one go.
stevenshand

Post by stevenshand »

I know next to nothing about these new fangled GPS thungs. On that particular one, am I stuck with the maps that it comes with? Can I put OS (or similar topo) maps on it? I was looking for something to stick in my pack for hill running (as a back up mostly) and that looks pretty good if I can also use it on the bike. I'd prefer it with a map system I'm more familiar with though.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Re mapping,
Yes you can upload OS mapping to it, I'd look at Talkytoaster or Fietsmap. The process isn't quite as straightforward as plugging in a micro sd card, you have to transfer the files via a lead but I'd be inclined to try the maps that are included with the unit, they are much better than they used to be.
I bought an Edge Explore when they first came out and the mapping was crap around here in Spain so uploaded Fietsmap, we recently bought a second one for MrsPB and the included mapping looks identical.
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

PaulB2 wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:13 am I'll admit I've never seen mine go below 75% but then again since I got it I've never done over 4/5 hours in one go.
Mine will drop below 75% after a 1.5 hour ride
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

rudedog wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:40 pm
PaulB2 wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:13 am I'll admit I've never seen mine go below 75% but then again since I got it I've never done over 4/5 hours in one go.
Out of curiosity, do you run it with the maps on screen? I normally just have the bike computer on screen and it alerts me if a waypoint is coming up.
stevenshand

Post by stevenshand »

Did that Garmin jump back up in price? I'm guessing I just read it wrong the first time round but I'm sure it was £130 when I looked! Maybe I need new glasses.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Yep, it was £130 but not any more
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

You've got to love Bezos and his algorithms, those space flights don't fund themselves :grin:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I'm still waiting for a good deal on the 1030 plus. Thought I had it the other day, but apparently my British Cycling code isn't valid for "Cycling Tech", so Halfords price isn't quite where I want it to be.

I can get it cheaper from Europe, but there's every chance of tax on the way in.
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

Mine is due tomorrow I paid 139 the deal ran out at midnight last night, I ordered it at 2330hrs after a whisky session lol less dithering when you are three sheets to the wind :grin:
Last edited by firestarter on Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Yeh Rich, I saw the 1030 plus for €497 at Bike-components.de and they've got the piggy back battery for €98 so a fraction over €600 for the two inc postage, I was tempted but cannot justify 4x the cost of my Explore for a whole raft of features that I wouldn't use. I've said it ad nauseum but if the Explore had the pins to connect it to the Garmin Charge, it would be the perfect unit for me.
I'm not sure the BC discount restriction on tech is correct, I definitely bought a Garmin Edge Touring with discount when I was in the UK.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

It's in the T&C, that's all I can say. I could potentially get lucky, but I'm not wasting my time travelling down only to have them say no.
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

+1 for talkytoaster maps.
Updated regularly, less expensive than the OS maps, and the company are really good to deal with
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

PaulB2 wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:14 pm
rudedog wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:40 pm
Out of curiosity, do you run it with the maps on screen? I normally just have the bike computer on screen and it alerts me if a waypoint is coming up.
No I don't use maps on short rides. I do connect it to my vivoactive watch for HR though.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Sportpursuit have MH Rook bags for £160. They're women's so obviously purple. Says -18 but I can't see whether that's the comfort or lower comfort rating but either way, should make a decent winter bag for UK conditions.
https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/pr ... id/2175443
May the bridges you burn light your way
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

Just noticed this Pinnacle Lithium pop up on ebay, looks like a decent machine for the money

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294262976592 ... Swmwtg5Yin