Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

benp1

Re: Bargain Alert Thread

Post by benp1 »

Rab at Sport Pursuit. VR stuff on offer, I really rate it
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Richard G wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:33 pm That's a strange beast. Am I right in thinking it's a poncho that turns into a tarp-tent?
For it's designed original use it's very clever. I'm reading a book about a blokes hike along the Appalachian Trail. He keeps his in the side pocket of his rucksack. When it starts raining he can get it out and put it on without stopping, it keeps him and his rucksack dry. He can reverse the process when the rain stops. As most thru hikers have walking poles and it's not much heavier than a jacket you get a shelter for just about the weight penalty of some pegs.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Plus in lots of bits of america you get rain without wind, unlike here in the UK. So it's waterproof and breathabilty (because it's open), but doesn't flap in the wind
RIP

Post by RIP »

benp1 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:19 pm
RIP wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:03 pm Ta chaps. Still can't believe I've bought a shelter with a door. I'll never live it down. Not bought any gear for ages, and don't want anything, so it's all down to a moment of (Ma)Madness.
Apart from the down jacket right? Which you didn't need when we were discussing... :shock:
:oops: . Ah yes, slipped my memory that one. <rallies a bit> Well THAT was someone else's fault too! :grin: .
bearbonesnorm wrote: 115cm
Oh. Can I have a 5cm extension then please? :wink: Nah, I'd better have the proper job. I'll wait until it arrives and give you a ding.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

benp1 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:19 pm Rab at Sport Pursuit. VR stuff on offer, I really rate it
Agree, it's very suited to our climate.
dogthomson

Post by dogthomson »

rufus748 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:35 am Garmin etrex 30x £129.99 on Sport Pursuit this morning.
:roll: Just bought one from eBay for £150ish
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

That's a great price for the 30. Solid little units.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I have no idea if this constitutes a bargain, and it's nowt to do with me, but there's a ti Jones up for sale here, £2.5k f+f:

https://www.lfgss.com/conversations/353 ... nt15499449
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

10.000mA/h wireless powerbank for cable-less charging (for the latest phones) for just £15 from B&M
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Some reasonable deals on Garmin inc an Oergon 700 for £299.
https://www.ultimateoutdoors.com/equipm ... br:garmin/

Exped Synmat for £70
https://www.ultimateoutdoors.com/160049 ... 5-16004919
May the bridges you burn light your way
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:37 am Exped Synmat for £70
https://www.ultimateoutdoors.com/160049 ... 5-16004919
oooft. 735g
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

EDIT - It looks like they have all sold now.

Thermolite sleeping bag liner for £11.27
I can only think this is a typo as they are normally at least twice as much, even on AliExpress.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ultralight-S ... 2366559743

They are a fairly hefty 336g but very warm and stretchy - really nice to sleep in. Only one left so be quick.

It's envelope but you could make it mummy if that bothered you.
Last edited by Borderer on Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

If anyone is an American Express cardholder and interested in the sports pursuits deals, there's a further £10 off £100 offer you can sign up for on their app or website.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

PaulE wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:26 pm If anyone is an American Express cardholder and interested in the sports pursuits deals, there's a further £10 off £100 offer you can sign up for on their app or website.
Nice. Cheers.
shutuplegs

Post by shutuplegs »

P****t X seem to be doing Ti mugs for £10... no lid on the 600ml one but I’m sure that bridge can be crossed with some Ti(n) foil....
“We live and learn, and big mountains are stern teachers” - HW Tilman.
RIP

Post by RIP »

For those who like to navigate/explore whilst simultaneously appreciating a work of art, Dash4It have 40% off maps at the mo (for "National Get Outside Day" on Sept 29th!). Code? .......

.....ORD40
Last edited by RIP on Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Squirrelking

Post by Squirrelking »

10.000mA/h wireless powerbank for cable-less charging (for the latest phones) for just £15 from B&M
Aldi/Lidl (was in both yesterday and can't remember which one) are doing own brand 10,000mAh bricks for £10 IIRC, Think it was Lidl.

To be honest they seem to come in quite often, I picked up a Boost brick from Aldi a month or so ago for the smae price.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Having discovered my 8,000mAh powerbank bought from B&M a couple of years ago, and used a handful of times, wouldn't charge anything on the Dales Divide, I think I'm going to splash the fairly minimal extra outlay on something from Anker.

Tempted by the 20,000mAh one, which seems like overkill but would rid me of "charge anxiety" for evermore, but wondering about 2x 10,000mAh for more flexibility, albeit with a slight weight, and presumably price, penalty when using both. Thoughts?
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Depends how long you will need battery for ie how long away from charging sources. Also do you have a dynamo? What do you need to run from the battery? When we did our Cape Wrath trip recently we took a 10000 MaH phone and a power bank of the same value. The phone was used for navigation and lasted roughly 3 days if careful. It was rare that we weren't somewhere that we could plug in at some point during those three days. I would say 10k Mah is plenty. We also used it to keep our lights topped up but those didn't see much action as it was summer. I have a dynamo on my bike and the batt pack was plugged into that as a buffer.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

thenorthwind wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:43 pm Having discovered my 8,000mAh powerbank bought from B&M a couple of years ago, and used a handful of times, wouldn't charge anything on the Dales Divide, I think I'm going to splash the fairly minimal extra outlay on something from Anker.

Tempted by the 20,000mAh one, which seems like overkill but would rid me of "charge anxiety" for evermore, but wondering about 2x 10,000mAh for more flexibility, albeit with a slight weight, and presumably price, penalty when using both. Thoughts?
Get the 2 as opposed to the one... I have a 10000 and the 15000. Bith tiny and easier to stash than 1 x 20000 which I've owned in the past. Plus it ensures you have flexibilty. Let me know if you need the weights as they're not much
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I bought this to take on the AMR:
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073FJ9X2 ... yFb5WDBWHK

Its barely any thicker than a USB cable plug and has enough ports to charge all your devices simultaneously. It also does quick charging in/out so maximises any top ups you might manage in a cafe, etc. The quoted 430gm weight includes the padded bag it comes with and the various cables it comes with.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Borderer wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:59 pm Depends how long you will need battery for ie how long away from charging sources. Also do you have a dynamo? What do you need to run from the battery? When we did our Cape Wrath trip recently we took a 10000 MaH phone and a power bank of the same value. The phone was used for navigation and lasted roughly 3 days if careful. It was rare that we weren't somewhere that we could plug in at some point during those three days. I would say 10k Mah is plenty. We also used it to keep our lights topped up but those didn't see much action as it was summer. I have a dynamo on my bike and the batt pack was plugged into that as a buffer.
Exactly. No two trips are the same though. I built a dynamo into a hub, but then realised a lot of the riding I do is too slow for it to be effective, and that a powerbank would be an easier option. It lives on my commuter now.

That was my thinking Shaf - good to know someone else has thought the same.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Aye dynamo hubs are certainly better on road /higher speeds than at low speeds /off road.
I also followed the adviceon here and have to rather than one power bank.
I also have to say there is a special joy, with a dynamo set up, on entering a technical bit and braking to now have the techy bit and half the light
Jurassic pusher

Post by Jurassic pusher »

Jones specific 135/142 front hubs (Suit the earlier models) 30 euros each from Justpedal NL the last one I bought from Charlie blkemonger was over £150. Only any good if you have a Jones though!!
substandard

Post by substandard »

thenorthwind wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:43 pm Having discovered my 8,000mAh powerbank bought from B&M a couple of years ago, and used a handful of times, wouldn't charge anything on the Dales Divide, I think I'm going to splash the fairly minimal extra outlay on something from Anker.

I have 2 x 10,000 anker ones, one of them was more than enough to keep my little garmin going for the DD, used both for gbduro though