Bargain Alert Thread

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Re: Bargain Alert Thread

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

London water's horrible ... I do recall the time when the water authority released human excrement into the supply sometime in the late 80's while living in Brixton. I've never been so ill before or since :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
oreocereus

Post by oreocereus »

RIP wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:01 pm Hmm. Just testing my Exped HL mat. Finished blowing it up, looked up to check it and the joint between the middle two channels has blown along the whole length. No, I didn't overinflate. Ho hum. Lasted me a fair while I suppose.

OK, 30% off: https://www.outdoorgb.com/p/Exped_SynMa ... MQEALw_wcB

Answers on a postcard for new uses for a mat with a giant sausage down the middle.
Apparently this was a common issue with older expeds, put me off getting one at the time (now have an xlite). Claimed to have fixed it in the last couple of years, and my partner just got one of the warm UL ones. It's so much comfier than my xlite, I'm very envious..
RIP

Post by RIP »

Ta for that. I'll report back in 5 years :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

benp1 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:49 pm I use citric acid. Same as a lemon but comes in powder form.

London water is very hard. But it's the best tasting of all the water I've ever had :-bd :geek:
Really? London water has always tasted rank to me, and makes nasty tea complete with scum on it... Yorkshire or Welsh water is infinitely nicer i.m.o.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

PaulE wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:37 pm
benp1 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:49 pm I use citric acid. Same as a lemon but comes in powder form.

London water is very hard. But it's the best tasting of all the water I've ever had :-bd :geek:
Really? London water has always tasted rank to me, and makes nasty tea complete with scum on it... Yorkshire or Welsh water is infinitely nicer i.m.o.
Ditto
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I realise I'm in a minority. I've drunk it all my life so I'm used to it, anything else tastes weird. Would way rather have tap water than mineral water in a restaurant round here too
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

SportPursuit have some Terra Nova stuff. Perhaps nothing too exciting but who am I to say what you find exciting?
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:33 am SportPursuit have some Terra Nova stuff. Perhaps nothing too exciting but who am I to say what you find exciting?
I am not buying from anywhere that requires me to have a membership. That's just silly.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Borderer wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:09 pm
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:33 am SportPursuit have some Terra Nova stuff. Perhaps nothing too exciting but who am I to say what you find exciting?
I am not buying from anywhere that requires me to have a membership. That's just silly.
I thought the same thing but eventually relented and have bought a lot of stuff from them since at very good prices. I rate them quite highly so far.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Borderer wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:09 pm I am not buying from anywhere that requires me to have a membership. That's just silly.
It's basically just a compulsory sign up to the newsletter, it doesn't cost anything.

I think I mentioned this on a thread about Go Outdoors and their membership cards, in the back of my mind there's some legal/contractual reason for the membership. It sort of makes them a wholesaler rather than a retailer (think cash-and-carry v's tesco) which gets round certain agreements the manufacturers have with their retail outlets which control the minimum pricing. Of course I could have imagined the whole thing but it sounds convincing to me :grin:

I've always been impressed with Sports Pursuit's pricing and service.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Its almost all end of line stock dumping hence why its so keenly priced

FWIW i dont do go outdoors but dont mind providing an anymous e-mail I made up so i could register
UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

+1 for you’re losing out for not using sportpursuit. It’s free and just need to sign up with an email, if you’re that fussed just set up a gmail/yahoo address solely for it. I’ve probably saved nearly £1k using them for R*pha, Arc’teryx, Oakley, Smartwool etc etc... but if you’d rather stay on a high horse and pay full whack then YMYC :-bd
Last edited by UnderTheRadars on Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Borderer wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:09 pm
You're a disciple of Marx (not Karl!) then B, paraphrasing: "I don't want belong to something that will accept people like me as a member". :smile:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

rudedog

Post by rudedog »

Borderer wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:14 pm
rudedog wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:44 pm

Exped warranty is 5 years
Lyon told me 2 years. Maybe they were Lyon to me.

(I'll get my coat).
I’m currently sending my Synmat UL 7 back to Lyon for inspection (blown baffle) - I told them it was just over 5 years old and they didn’t question this so I’ll let you know how it goes!
RIP

Post by RIP »

Well I'm a bit cheesed off they didn't offer me that option! Why's it any easier to fix the UL I wonder?

redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

11 to 40t 11 speed SLX shimano cassette on Mantel. For only £47 with delivery. Seems a proper bargain (so orderee one... like you do)
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Lidl have SIS gels at £6 for 12 at the moment. The one I was in had some decent flavours - apple and cherry. They have less of a snot consistency when properly warm, as I discovered yesterday,
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

RIP wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:19 pm Well I'm a bit cheesed off they didn't offer me that option! Why's it any easier to fix the UL I wonder?
The website says 5 year warranty, no mention of the UL range being any different

http://www.exped.com/uk-ireland/en/repairs-distributors
RIP

Post by RIP »

Ah but I'm HL :wink: . Says 2 years on the tin y'see...

oreocereus

Post by oreocereus »

I wonder if they’ve upped it on the lightweight stuff recently?
On the product page for the HL pad it says 5 years now as well. I was also under the impression their lightweight stuff had a 2 year warranty but can’t find any mention of that on the current site.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Confusion reigns! Maybe I'll just leave it up in the loft and carry on using my Winterlite all year round after all. Never had problems with that. In fact I often sleep on it at home in preference to the marital bed and the charms of Mrs Perrin (*).

(*) HA HA HA!!! Who am I kidding? My preferences have absolutely no bearing whatsoever on the eventual location of my nocturnal slumbers.

RIP

Post by RIP »

40% off all OS maps at Dash4it. Uncannily they ALWAYS have a 40%-off sale JUST before WRT. What's even more uncanny of course is that they seem to be aware the date has changed!

I realise this news will only hold interest for a/ Reg, and b/ Cheddar Man, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Oi, you forgot me Reg :wink:
RIP

Post by RIP »

As soon as I'd posted I realised :grin: . You've got 'em all! Bit like my mate who bought a COMPLETE set of flat sheet 1:50k from his library when they were chucking them out (goodness knows why they were).

pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

When we had a major declutter prior to leaving sunny Penistone for Spain, I donated my collection of OS maps, numbering about 150, to the "reading room" of the Huntsman pub in Thurlstone which is a renowned walkers, fell runners and cyclists watering hole. We have been back a few times since, mainly at Christmas and I am happy to report that they are still reasonably intact but regrettably not in numerical order. It was probably the most poignant thing I did and really brought home the enormity of the life change we were about to make. I did hang on to a couple for sentimental reasons, notably 135 and explorer 213.