so, this virus ?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ton

so, this virus ?

Post by ton »

dont really like to talk about it, but has anyone caught it?

i dont know if i have but i have laid up at home with something that started on friday.
started with a banging head, and proper tender aching joints. went home and went to bed.
saturday just felt wiped out so slept most off it. never coughed or got fever.
sunday i got up and made some smoked bacon and eggs for breakfast. whilst cooking the bacon i realised i could not smell it.
when i ate it, i could not taste it. and have been unable to taste anything since sunday. i even ate a spoon full of dijon mustard to test my theory. no reaction at all.
i just feel knackered without having done anything.

so feet up until next monday. bored already.......... :-bd
ScotRoutes

Re: so, this virus ?

Post by ScotRoutes »

The lack of smell/taste thing has been put forward as a symptom. Sounds like the best option is to assume you have it and rejoice that it hasn't completely floored you.

Hope it passes soon Tony, take care.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

We're on day 7?8? of isolation and a household of slightly elevated temperature, aches, sore throats and dry coughs which are still here though tapering off. No clue if its CV or colds that morphed into vanilla flu but it's not been horrendous so leaning towards just flu.
FLV

Post by FLV »

My Eldest had symptoms (hes in his uni accommodation in Aber), Dry cough, mild fever but didnt feel particularly floored at all. Hes on day 12 now and feels fine apart from a fairly significant amount of cabin fever :lol:

He said the symptoms lasted about 6 days, so if you started Friday hopefully you're on the mend already.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

My son [13] has just come out the other side and is now on the mend- thank ****
Noone else in the house caught it
Hard to say if it was for certain and he was ill to the point of very poorly but never worryingly so [ other than the fact you know he probably has it and what might happen but apart from the fear it never looked like it was that severe or going that way]

Good luck all worrying times await if your loved ones get it
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

The blurb I've seen is that after infection you won't show symptoms for 2-4 days then will be symptomatic (and infectious) for 6-8 days, then a couple of days recovery. Hence the 14 days. As far as is known people who are asymptomatic are not infectious.

Anyway Tony, hope you are better soon and able to wake up and smell the coffee (and bacon :grin: )
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

A bloke on another forum I use was a confirmed case (health worker). Dry cough, fever, no sense of smell, reckons it was pretty nasty. He's now back at work after 2 weeks.

A mate with 60th birthday drinks organised for next month is now on a ventilator in St Thomas hospital London.

A girl I know (health worker) is a confirmed case. They had some new test stuff at the hospital where she works and tested themselves first. She had no symptoms but tested positive. Her husband and 3 children also have it, unconfirmed.

Steve Walsh, the "super spreader" in Brighton early on. The bloke who was in Singapore then skiing before coming home, remember him? He's a friend of my sister.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

PaulB2 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:49 am and dry coughs
Paul... Might I suggest that you make sure evrryone keeps drinking plain and/or plenty water (cordial is good as are teas and coffees but don't count fizzy pops as plain please nor as water). Sit everyone down and have em drink at least 500ml each. Might need even more.

Good way to gauge if everyones drank enough is find out how much everyone is weeing. 0.5ml/kg/hour (half a ml of urine per every kilo of body weight per each hour) is what everyone should be aiming to produce. A good way to gauge is (for example) someone that weighs 80kg should be making at least 40ml each hour..... Anyway, maybe thats yoo muc info and I'm going off on a tangent.

Make sure everyones drank enough fluids that they're bursting to go for a wee and the wee wee should be coming out clear(ish) and at least a couple or 1 mugfull every 5 hours or less (thats a good point to aim for and guage is everyone is drinking enough)...

[Edited]
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Nhs advice is the victim isolates for 7 days and can go out with a cough but not a fever
Everyone else isolates for 14 days - or 7 days from infection if say you get it on day 13
have quoted it as I know it sounds daft as many did not believe me when i said this

i
f you live with others and you are the first in the household to have symptoms of coronavirus, then you must stay at home for 7 days, but all other household members who remain well must stay at home and not leave the house for 14 days. The 14-day period starts from the day when the first person in the house became ill. See the explanatory diagram
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -infection
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

redefined_cycles wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:13 am
Paul... Might I suggest that you make sure evrryone keeps drinking plain water. Sit everyone down and have em drink at least 500ml each. Might need even more.

Good way to gauge if everyones drank enough is find out how much everyone is weeing. 0.5ml/kg/hour (half a ml of urine per every kilo of body weight per each hour) is what everyone should be aiming to produce. A good way to gauge is (for example) someone that weighs 80kg should be making at least 40ml each hour..... Anyway, maybe thats yoo muc info and I'm going off on a tangent.

Make sure everyones drank enough fluids that they're bursting to go for a wee and the wee wee should be coming out clear(ish) and at least a couple or 1 mugfull every 5 hours or less (thats a good point to aim for and guage is everyone is drinking enough)...
Thanks for the advice, generally we've been trying to do something similar though my eldest is on the severe end of the autistic spectrum so we just concentrate on trying to get fluids in to him without worrying about when they come out because he has the combination of a large bladder capacity and a very low pain response so he can just hold it for ages.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Eldest lad is in bed with a cough, fever, lethargy (teenager!!!) but suspect that's the beastie. I'm leaving him to it and not asking about symptoms :wink:

Waiting for it to get round the rest of us.

Sounds liek we could have a great game suggesting things Ton could eat to test the lack of smell / taste ;-)
redefined_cycles

Lazarus wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:15 am Nhs advice is the victim isolates for 7 days and can go out with a cough but not a fever
Everyone else isolates for 14 days - or 7 days from infection if say you get it on day 13
have quoted it as I know it sounds daft as many did not believe me when i said this

i
f you live with others and you are the first in the household to have symptoms of coronavirus, then you must stay at home for 7 days, but all other household members who remain well must stay at home and not leave the house for 14 days. The 14-day period starts from the day when the first person in the house became ill. See the explanatory diagram
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -infection
As I understand/understood it... the 14 days rule is coa if someone else becomes symptomatic (and thus infectious) then 14 days is a good period for the symptoms to start showing... But/and then if one of the other family members starts showing symptoms at day 13 or 14 for example. That individual needs to continue their self isolation for another 7 days whilst the initial person - as long as their symptoms have stopped - can come out of isolation...

On the note of my mention about the water thing and minimal urine production above-mentioned (earlier in the thread). Its good to know that (for reference purposes and to know that sometimea drinking even 2L of water might not be enough) in SEPSIS the body sometimes needs upto 6 litres of fluids to just catch up with what its lost*.

*where is it lost in the first place you might wonder=

- excess sweating (one might have a raging temperature remember)
- excess/faster and heavier breathing
- excess pooing
- the metabolism running at a higher rate in general etc etc...

On a normal day in health, the body could lose about 1L (give or take 3 to 400ml) in just breathing and sweating...
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

with videos so we can see his reaction when he is cured and he eats a spoon of mustard
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

if one of the other family members starts showing symptoms at day 13 or 14 for example. That individual needs to continue their self isolation for another 7 days whilst the initial person - as long as their symptoms have stopped - can come out of isolation..
correct and if three of you the person with no symptoms starts another 14 day period from he start of the second infection ,the frst can go ou and the second out after 7 days / no fever- if this extends beyond 7 days
redefined_cycles

PaulB2 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:25 am
redefined_cycles wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:13 am
Paul... Might I suggest that you make sure evrryone keeps drinking plain water. Sit everyone down and have em drink at least 500ml each. Might need even more.

Thanks for the advice, generally we've been trying to do something similar though my eldest is on the severe end of the autistic spectrum so we just concentrate on trying to get fluids in to him without worrying about when they come out because he has the combination of a large bladder capacity and a very low pain response so he can just hold it for ages.
Sounds like you're on top of things there .. Hope it gets better soon m8. Same goes for everyone.

If its any help to anyone. At our house we're on a generic rota of everyone taking turns to clean any door handles and knobs with soapy water. Every 6 hours or so if everyone pulls themselves up on it :-bd and also theres a strict rule of no rubbing eyes nor hands or anything else in mouth...

We also wash hands - (but we do that anyways cos its a prescribed sunnah (way of) Muhammed PBUH that we're encouraged) - before and after food religiously (well before it was slightly strict but its even more so now and easier to enforce :grin:
Mind the grammer sorry
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

I was really Ill about 2 weeks before this was over here, my my throat was in bits voice went and had a dry cough, I had a fever aches all over could hardly get up for about 10 days also full of snot, I had 14 days off work , doc said its laryngitis drink water, I said it felt like a bad flu at the same time then but who knows
My mrs had been suffering with swollen glands and sore throat with the odd cough and temperature for weeks but 111 said it's ok you can go to work, i presume they are right and we are key workers so needed but it sure feels like we might have had it, had I been in the state I was two weeks later I'd have been tested I bet
Boab

Post by Boab »

firestarter wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:56 am My mrs had been suffering with swollen glands and sore throat with the odd cough and temperature for weeks
There is a throat thing doing the rounds, my wife, daughter and myself have all had it to varying degrees. Woke up yesterday feeling like I had sinusitis coming on, today, nothing. 🤷‍♂️ Just wish all these wee viruses would piss off...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
faustus

Post by faustus »

This is why they need the antibody tests ASAP, it's critical to know who has had it - especially essential workers - so they know who can safely go back to work/see other people. That's assuming we know 100% you can't get it twice/can't be infectious again..??
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

faustus wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:02 pm ... That's assuming we know 100% you can't get it twice/can't be infectious again..??
Still unknown at moment, AFAIK. Most flu viruses are like that but not all. Be a right stinker if it's not one the body maintains antibodies against.
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Our household are on day 7 of staying in. One of my teenage boys had a temp and was coughing in school last Wednesday so we got the call to collect all 3 (13, 14 & 16). With that came the 'you have to self isolate for 14 days!'. The boys have been fine since we've been home, so makes you think was he pulling a fast one or the school over reacting or basically well done for following protocol. Thing is, the middle one was treated for 3.5 years for leukemia and finished treatment 7 years ago. He should be ok but you never know...
I've had a dry cough for just over a week as has the Mrs. On the grand scale of things I'm glad we're all inside away from the supermarket chaos. On a positive note we've used several local suppliers for meat, veg, and the like so once it's all blown over may the local shop continue and I'll just use the big named supermarkets for my beer :-bd

Take care all
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

I cant believe the weather , typical after 6 weeks of rain and wind
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:09 pm
faustus wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:02 pm ... That's assuming we know 100% you can't get it twice/can't be infectious again..??
Still unknown at moment, AFAIK. Most flu viruses are like that but not all. Be a right stinker if it's not one the body maintains antibodies against.
Your body retains the ability to produce antibodies against all viruses once you've had them. The issue is whether the virus mutates into a new strain which your body doesn't recognise - seasonal flu does this which is why we have a new flu jab every year.

Coronaviruses don't do this, so far at least (the vaccines for SARS and MERS which were developed years ago are still effective) so for the moment all the science points towards us retaining immunity to COVID-19. There are no confirmed cases of anybody being reinfected either.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Indeed. Something to hang on to.

David St Hubbins: "It's such a fine line between stupid, and...uh... "
Nigel Tufnel: "... clever".

Let's hope C19's capability is on the beneficial side of that line, ie stupid.
Last edited by RIP on Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

In Reverse wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:09 pm
Cheeky Monkey wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:09 pm
Your body retains the ability to produce antibodies against all viruses once you've had them. The issue is whether the virus mutates into a new strain which your body doesn't recognise - seasonal flu does this which is why we have a new flu jab every year.

Coronaviruses don't do this, so far at least (the vaccines for SARS and MERS which were developed years ago are still effective) so for the moment all the science points towards us retaining immunity to COVID-19. There are no confirmed cases of anybody being reinfected either.
I submit to your superior science :cool:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I woke up the other morning aching and feeling a bit rough. my first thought was here we go, then I remembered that I'd upped the weight on my dumbbells the day before.
May the bridges you burn light your way