Gravelywanger frame options?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

FLV

Gravelywanger frame options?

Post by FLV »

Hi, I wondered wif anyone can come up with some options i haven't found yet?

I have a pinnacle arkose d3. Its a really good bike, however i cant get away from the fact that it feels a little long for me.
Im 5,11 or 182cm tall. So theoretically its the right size, i have a reasonable amount of seatpost showing at 195mm clamp to rails. The height of the bars feels ok when im holding the straight bits near the stem ish. However it always feels a streatch to be on the hoods and i cant really use the drops much at all.

Ive aready got an inline post and shortish stem fitted.

Im aware I'm a 'bit' out of shape and not very flexible...

So, any more tips to improve the situation?
Or...
Any suggestions for a frame to swap to? I do spend a fair amount of time looking at the fairlight secan which is lovely and 15mm shorter reach / same height stack. (But proper money)

Cheers
Boab

Re: Gravelywanger frame options?

Post by Boab »

There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I have the curve Walmer bar on my Fargo, mine is the 55cm version. If you’re already running a wide bar they might be worth a look in the 46cm guise. Unlike most bars they have some sweep to the flat section, more comfortable and also reduces the reach to the hoods/drops.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I flipped my stem, which made the hoods comfy and the drops reachable
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

High and short stem good (ergotec high charisma!) but counter-intuitively, putting a layback post may help. Tom ritchey wrote a good piece for Sheldon Browns website yonks ago. In brief, the further back your erse, the easier it is to counter balance your arms and upper torso, reducing weight on wrists.
FLV

Post by FLV »

I have a 70mm 0 degree stem on there at the moment so flipping that wont help :grin:

Ill look up tom ritcheys article
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

FLV wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:20 pm I have a 70mm 0 degree stem on there at the moment so flipping that wont help :grin:

Ill look up tom ritcheys article
Well it’d weather the bottom of the stem evenly?
FLV

Post by FLV »

Fair point, ill get right to that :-bd
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

My Fargo also runs a short 30 deg rise stem, This also pulls the reach back a little, the tops are therefore at saddle height. It’s all day comfortable and I had very little discomfort on the Spanish C2C which was nine days. I think a lot of gravel bikes appear to be set up much like road bikes, not great for comfort.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Yup, I’d try a high-rise stem and some shallow drops.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I think all my drop barred bikes have stems fitted that are something like 30 degree and 70mm long. For my height I've got long legs and a short body (is such a thing possible) which no doubt effects things. I also like to make full use of the entire bar and usually descend on the drops with the tops / hoods nice and high for relaxed pootling.
May the bridges you burn light your way
FLV

Post by FLV »

Seems like a relatively cheap thing to try first then
FLV

Post by FLV »

Its quite interesting when you start looking into geometries, it does seem that the 'Gravel' market is aimed squarely at road riders transitioning to a bit of dirt. A lot of frames seem to be very minor tweaks to road geometry and add marginally wider tyres. Most of them don't raise the stack much at all which makes me think road bike with wide tyres.
A bit disappointing but I guess I shouldn't be all that surprised, after all... they do look like road bikes.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Its quite interesting when you start looking into geometries, it does seem that the 'Gravel' market is aimed squarely at road riders transitioning to a bit of dirt. A lot of frames seem to be very minor tweaks to road geometry and add marginally wider tyres. Most of them don't raise the stack much at all which makes me think road bike with wide tyres.
A bit disappointing but I guess I shouldn't be all that surprised, after all... they do look like road bikes.
True.

I think that what we might consider to be a 'touring' bike is perhaps closer to what we also might consider to be a 'gravel' bike with regard to numbers?
Boab

Post by Boab »

CyclingTips have just done their inaugural CyclingTips Gravel Bike Field Test. Plenty of info on a whole range of gravel wankery, from more road, to more trail, etc, etc.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Cheers, i have to say I'm not hugely into the scene as such, but i find the genre to be a practical bike. Trying a rise stem later this evening (stolen from thenwifes bike)
FLV

Post by FLV »

BigdummySteve wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:53 pm I have the curve Walmer bar on my Fargo, mine is the 55cm version. If you’re already running a wide bar they might be worth a look in the 46cm guise. Unlike most bars they have some sweep to the flat section, more comfortable and also reduces the reach to the hoods/drops.
Do you know where to buy curve in the UK? I cant seem to find them to even price them up. Very short reach figures though.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Direct only as far as I know Dave.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Cheers, I'll likely look at others then as they get too pricy to 'try out' with shipping, and I would expect also tax.

ta
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've got Digest bars fitted to my Arkose. I like 'em.
FLV

Post by FLV »

I plumped for a set of spanknvibrocore bars i found in a sale. Theyre 20mm shorter reach on paper. Big difference i must say, lots better.

The flared position is weird as ive not tried it before, but im sure I'll get used to that.

Next step is to pop on a 7 degree rise stem, still 70mm long. I suspect thatll be better again. I also have a 7 degree by 60mm to try.

The stems were on sale at 12 quid each so unused ones can remain in the spares box happily.
FLV

Post by FLV »

The investigation is still on. I've got some grim neck ache recently, not sure if its from doing more miles on this and the position doesn't suit me, or that I am just weak :roll:
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

htrider wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:57 pm High and short stem good (ergotec high charisma!) but counter-intuitively, putting a layback post may help. Tom ritchey wrote a good piece for Sheldon Browns website yonks ago. In brief, the further back your erse, the easier it is to counter balance your arms and upper torso, reducing weight on wrists.
This^
Layback seatpost really did make a huge difference for me in terms of comfort. I'm on a large pinnacle arkose d1 and 5'11". I put wider cow chipper bars on too.
chris n

Post by chris n »

htrider wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:57 pm High and short stem good (ergotec high charisma!) but counter-intuitively, putting a layback post may help. Tom ritchey wrote a good piece for Sheldon Browns website yonks ago. In brief, the further back your erse, the easier it is to counter balance your arms and upper torso, reducing weight on wrists.
You sure it was by Tom Ritchey? There's a very good article by Keith Bontrager that covers the same topic: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/kops.html
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

7 degree stem? Stop messing about, 30 degree or more'll sort you right out.