Bike for a “Lump of a Lad “ !!

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ozboz

Bike for a “Lump of a Lad “ !!

Post by ozboz »

Hiya , Ms boz has a work colleague who is looking at getting back into riding ,looking at an MTB , at 19 st he’s no lightweight and was asking for a reccomondation ,
My thoughts are a hard tail MTB 650b , any thoughts from you lads ?
There are so many to look at , but I’m not sure if any of the main brands actually put a rider weight restriction within their specs, I have Surly CC and I’m sure they said it has a kerb weight max of 170kg’s ,
Any one know of any that would suit , I’d he be good to about £1500 or so
fatbikephil

Re: Bike for a “Lump of a Lad “ !!

Post by fatbikephil »

A Surly Karate Monkey should fit the bill? Not sure what they quote as rider weights but my experience of Surlys is that they are satisfyingly over designed so yer pal should be well within its specs.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

While 19st isn't especially lightweight, I'd be surprised if it's significantly outside the bounds of safety for the majority of bikes, especially MTBs.
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

A mate of mine hovers around 18-19st and rides a Trek Stache gets around fine on that tbh, and a great bikepacking bike too
:-bd
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
ozboz

Post by ozboz »

I think the Stache would be a bit exxy for him at the price I saw on Evans, but the Trek Roscoe may suit , I’m going to let him have a bomb around Richmond Park on my Lapierre and see if he likes the MTB set up ,
ton

Post by ton »

i kind of bounce between 19 and 22 stone. 20.5 at present.
over the years i have owned every single kind of bike designed for clydesdales, as the yanks call us bigger riders.
the best i have ever owned was a custom Ventana el Capitan. custom shocks and forks fitted to it, it was vaguely exciting.
but for a no nonsense good old fashion hardtail, your friend will find a Surly hard to beat. a Karate monkey or a Ogre, or a Krampus fitted with a pike or similar air fork will be perfect.
one thing to add is, tell him to get the stock wheels either rebuilt or replaced by a set of wheels built for his size by SPA cycles in Harrogate.
Boab

Post by Boab »

Prolly out of price range and would have to be imported, but Leonard Zinn (bike maintenance book chap) is part of this brand, aimed at the larger rider -> https://bikeclydesdale.com/ I think they are aimed more at the really tall, who also happen to be really heavy, rather than those who are just really heavy, as the sizes go L, XL, 2XL/3XL/4XL...

There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

A lot of bikes manufacturers have maximum weight limits of about 300lbs, that includes camelbak, tools, clothing etc

What does he want to do with the bike? I’ve found most riders getting back into the sport or new riders want suspension, at least on the front. It seems to me it’s the more experience riders that would potentially move away from suspension, something to bare in mind.

I‘m quite the fan of the Trek Roscoe, will be a little slower* on sustrans routes etc, but will be a great bike for trail centres and heading into the hills. Plus size tyres, 120mm forks will make it a fun bike to ride :-bd

Just my 2p worth

*you know what I mean
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Roscoe sounds a good shout, I think the X-Caliber is the same frame but with 29er wheels. The specialized fuse looks to be a similar bike.

Rocky Mountain Growler also looks fun if you can find somewhere to buy one.