Tell me three things that...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Escape Goat

Tell me three things that...

Post by Escape Goat »

Make you happy.

I feel strange. The atmosphere around people is strange. Let's create a bubble of nice things that make you smile.

Three things, whatever they are.

1) I had a doughnut the other day and it was the first one in a month. It was lovely.

2) I uploaded a load of old music to an old ipod shuffle that was donated to me in lieu of my one that went missing.

3) I borrowed a full size key board as I think I'm going to re teach myself how to play.
RIP

Re: Tell me three things that...

Post by RIP »

Good man 'Goat.

Off the cuff without thinking:

1 - just been watching the toads and frogs 'enjoying themselves' in our pond. Life goes on there. Free voyeurism!

2 - I reckon with home working increasing that inet providers will have to restrict heavy-load entertainment streaming - stop all those cat films, catch-ups, instagrams etc. Not that I do those anyway but a good excuse to get my vinyl out and sit down properly and listen to it.

3 - maybe normals will start to agree that our Take/Need Less Stuff bonerism isn't actually wierd at all. Yes I realise that's slightly fatuous and that 80% of the planet think even our TLS is still TMS anyway.

Bit random but there we go.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Uhm 3 things. It can change day to day but 3 that never fail are ...

1/ The noise when the main fuel pumps get switched on and an engine goes from running on Methanol to Nitromethane. You don't just hear it, you actually feel it.

2/ Books. They never fail to make me happy.

3/ Amimals of most types but people not doing right by them has the opposite effect.

It's simple things usually.
May the bridges you burn light your way
u02sgb

Post by u02sgb »

First is almost a confession
1) The feeling of new kit arriving. I know it's consumerist but I love the feeling of new kit I've researched appearing at the door with the undertones of getting out to use it for the first time.
2) Kids being at home (currently isolated). They'll drive me up the wall sometimes, but as someone who is work from home full time, it's nice to have the kids about when I go for a coffee or lunch.
3) Making something that works as well or better than you expected.

Good idea for a thread!

Stu.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

1) Sitting in an armchair early in the morning reading a book while my youngest is curled up in my lap talking trash at some game he's playing on the phone that he's just fished out of my pocket. His pickpocket skills are really improving, may come in handy in the future.

2) Listening to my eldest's giggles as he bounces on the trampoline at 9 at night in the dark in a vague hope that it'll tyre him out enough for sleep. Luckily I have good neighbours.

3) Just now, my wife discussing with a friend that's just dropped some groceries off at our doorstep how recreational drugs would make the next few weeks so much easier :grin:
RIP

Post by RIP »

"new kit I've researched appearing at the door with the undertones" - blimey!! Looks like the lads are diversifying into logistics and delivery! Did they do you an impromptu rendition of "Jimmy Jimmy" when you opened the door? A bit like Christmas carollers turning up on your doorstep. Obviously my Undertones gig in May will be cancelled. Just got email saying Toy Dolls in April postponed until January 2021. Ah well, mustn't be a Silly Billy, and of course Worse Things Happen At Sea.

Yes Stu, simple pleasures are often the biggest pleasures. Always said it. My recreational drug is my bike :wink: .
Last edited by RIP on Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

kit I've researched appearing at the door with the undertones
They deliver your post? How good's that :-bd

RIP

Post by RIP »

Knew you'd pick that up too Stu :grin:

u02sgb

Post by u02sgb »

Deliveries are going to be the only growth industry for the next wee while. All sorts of people will be dropping round :grin:
Cyclepeasant

Post by Cyclepeasant »

Always simple.
This week,
1. A couple of sunrises while out on bike.
2. Saw a couple of donkeys ,don't know why,but they make me smile.
3. Came across a thatched roof with a gun dog and pheasant
IMG_20200313_064843.jpg
(72.97 KiB) Downloaded 1486 times
Simple stuff!!
Stu.. can you pm me a recording of the fuel switch over. I like unusual mechanical noise! :grin:
Insanity over vanity
RIP

Post by RIP »

u02sgb wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:12 am Deliveries are going to be the only growth industry for the next wee while. All sorts of people will be dropping round :grin:
It'll be Mick and Keith next:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWw7Su07wW8&t=392s (yes I know I said we should stream less stuff)

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Stu.. can you pm me a recording of the fuel switch over. I like unusual mechanical noise!
At around 1m 15s you see the bloke at the side switch the main pumps on ... what happens next is the bit that makes me happy. If you turn it up you'll get an idea of the noise but obviously the actual 'feeling' of 1000's of horsepower constrained doesn't come across but watch what happens to the camera at 2m 30s :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJcqaMZR-r4
ton

Post by ton »

1. my wife, children and grandchildren, especially my 1 month old grandson...….he is vaguely exciting.

2. riding my bike, on road, off road, touring, commuting, pottering.

3. really good quality beer.
u02sgb

Post by u02sgb »

RIP wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:21 am yes I know I said we should stream less stuff
I wouldn't worry too much about the load of "work from home". From what I've read the biggest spike is people coming home from work and gaming/netflix etc.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

1. Donkeys - absolutely agree, always make me smile.

2. The wallabies that used to be in a field halfway up the climb back to home in some local farm / petting zoo place. Used to love stopping for a breather and watching those guys hopping about. Always wondered how they must feel about being stuck out in some of Yorkshire's finest weather rather than being in their typical, sunnier environment.

3. A good (entirely subjective) lamb and ginger karahi.
RIP

Post by RIP »

"Stu: "2/ Books. They never fail to make me happy.". Guessed you'd put that. Do you get that thing where you get quite jittery when you don't have at least one on the go? I always do. I've got 9 library books at the moment so feel nice and calm :-). Books - all of civilisation on paper. All this e-book stuff is no good. Paper lasts forever and, along with spoken stories, is how we hand our civilisation on. Worst thing you can do is close libraries.

U02 - yes that's what I meant.... the streaming stuff causing problems for home-working. The spike is now going to be "all day" what with kids at home and so on. Give them a blasted board game and stop 'em cluttering up the electromagnetic waves so people can do important stuff (ahem, and which I need to type all this drivel :wink: ).

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

"Stu: "2/ Books. They never fail to make me happy.". Guessed you'd put that. Do you get that thing where you get quite jittery when you don't have at least one on the go? I always do. I've got 9 library books at the moment so feel nice and calm :-). Books - all of civilisation on paper. All this e-book stuff is no good. Paper lasts forever and, along with spoken stories, is how we hand our civilisation on. Worst thing you can do is close libraries.
I generally find there's always something to read Reg. If there's not a book handy then I'll read the back of a packet or a label. However, I draw the line at newspapers :wink:
RIP

Post by RIP »

"read the back of a packet or a label" - so it's not just me then. Phew!

PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

There's something about a physical book that triggers memories for me that a kindle just doesn't, as much as I like the kindle for travel convenience. Every time I look at my old Terry Pratchett paperbacks I can picture when I first found his kids books in the library in the early-mid 80s and I've got an old battered copy of red storm rising that makes me think lying about in my room at my parents house during the summer of 92 with REM blaring out on the CD player I 'borrowed' from my sister.
faustus

Post by faustus »

1) My son and family. Just popped downstairs and he said "papa play with playdough"...brings me back to a nicer place than work and viruses.
2) Books. Always reading and I get so much from it, always have done. It's why I studied English literature.
3) Riding off road. Doesn't matter what bike quite so much, just the feeling of riding.

I'm also enjoying listening to more music at home and dusting off CDs that still bring me much joy.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Not just me then regarding books :-bd

"There is nothing on earth more exquisite than a bonny book, with well-placed columns of rich black writing in beautiful borders, and illuminated pictures cunningly inset. But nowadays, instead of looking at books, people read them. " George Bernard Shaw
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

1. Laying in my bivvy/tent/hammock on a cool crisp morning, brew in hand listening to the morning chorus as the sun comes up
2. Lamb & black pudding pies from Tebay services
3. Plucky Brits
Boab

Post by Boab »

1. Had a G&T with the wife last night, first booze in a a while

2. I'm WFH now, but am planning on working from my brew shed and just realised I can probably find room to put my deck and boxes of 12" in there too. This makes me really happy...

3. I'm baking sourdough again
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Boab

Post by Boab »

I think I'd be wearing ear defenders next to that thing... 😵
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I think I'd be wearing ear defenders next to that thing... 😵
What!