Moral question - holidays

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

voodoo_simon

Moral question - holidays

Post by voodoo_simon »

In brief, have a wedding to attend in Portugal first week of July and as such, we’re turning it into our (only) family holiday if the year. Can’t see it going ahead giving the current situation, so...

I’ve looked at booking.com for a UK holiday as they offer free cancellation in their bookings, would it be moral of me booking one of these (Over the wedding dates as a backup) knowing there is a reasonable chance that I’ll be cancelling?

The website offers it but can’t help thinking that I’ll be screwing the little person in the process...

My thoughts are in the ‘no camp’
Lazarus

Re: Moral question - holidays

Post by Lazarus »

Holiday lets and holiday companies will be one of the worst affected sectors so doing this, though I can see why you would want to , is just not a decent thing to do IMHO.

On the plus side you are asking for permission and given how many are happy to ride whatever the advice i think the "hive mind" may well give you this permission you seek
Boab

Post by Boab »

We're going to Crete in August, already paid deposit on villa and booked flights etc. While at this point it looks like everything is going to be cancelled, one would hope that it'll all be well over by July and August. At least in so far as the travel restrictions will have been lifted etc. Unless SqueezeyJet or the Villa owner cancel on us, I'm still hopeful that we'll get to go; the travel in sewer ants wont pay out if we cancel anyway...

I won't be booking anything as cover just in case. So to answer your question, It's a no from me...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

You already know the answer Simon. Instinct always tells you what is right and wrong
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Probably not a great thing to do but you could always ring them and be honest about it. There might be a reasonable comprise to be reached between the two parties with specific knowledge and interests.

As for this:
Lazarus wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:44 pm Holiday lets and holiday companies will be one of the worst affected sectors so doing this, though I can see why you would want to , is just not a decent thing to do IMHO.

On the plus side you are asking for permission and given how many are happy to ride whatever the advice i think the "hive mind" may well give you this permission you seek
:lol: :lol: Oh do give over :roll: :roll: :wink: :wink:
mikehowarth

Post by mikehowarth »

Are you also stockpiling toilet roll as well Simon :lol:

As others have said travel and tourism businesses are going to massively impacted by coronavirus - I should know I work for one.

The last glimmer of hope most operators and small business both in the UK and abroad have is that they can achieve reasonable fill rates through July/August/September and keep the lights on for next year, particularly those areas that rely on seasonal tourism.

When I say keep the lights on -that literally means keeping up with all our obligations and keeping all our staff employed with limited financial impact to them and their local community.

Equally its also worth reconsidering still going to Portugal but delaying the holiday in light of the evolving situation, most tour operators and travel companies will gladly accommodate that than taking the financial impact of cancellation and loss of revenue.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Dave Barter wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:12 pm You already know the answer Simon. Instinct always tells you what is right and wrong
You’re right Dave, I do know the answer and my gut says no, so I’ll go with that and not book anything

Cheers everyone :-bd

Unless the wedding gets postponed, I have no intention of a holiday in Portugal, personally couldn’t think of anything worse than a holiday based around a swimming pool and a beach :lol: